Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cashmere topcoat cost ?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You need to provide more details. Are you talking modern or vintage? Waist, thigh, knee or calf-length? You could luck out and find one in a local thrift shop or on Ebay for $20 or less, or you could spend $1,500 or more. Your message leaves too many variables.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a 20% cashmere top coat that I got at Century 21 in Manhattan about 10 years ago for $130. List was about $500. It's held up VERY well. It weighs a ton and is very warm and comfortable.

animator

One of the Regulars
I got a cashmere bomber jacket at Joseph A. Banks that I really like. I've never had anything cashmere before.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Filene's Basement has some black calf-length Mario Valente 100% cashmere overcoats on clearance for about $250. I got one a month ago for $300. List retail was $1200. The pure cashmere, as opposed to the blends, is so light I initially worried it wouldn't keep me warm, but it does.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
KObalto said:
Filene's Basement has some black calf-length Mario Valente 100% cashmere overcoats on clearance for about $250. I got one a month ago for $300. List retail was $1200. The pure cashmere, as opposed to the blends, is so light I initially worried it wouldn't keep me warm, but it does.

The Filene's at the Harbor? I walked by there Sunday heading for dinner at Fogo de Chao.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't remember the exact price, but I think the cashmere coat my husband liked was originally $1000-$2000. He needed the warmest business coat possible as he was travelling to some of the coldest parts of Europe, so we couldn't settle for a LL Bean coat - it wasn't appropriate, and we knew the weather could be -0* with the wind chill factor.

Anyway, it was too expensive for our budget, but I talked up the salesman. It was on sale for 50% off, and than there was some other special about to start, and I talked the salesguy in taking a hit on his commission.

I believe we paid <$500, but we consider this a one-time investment for years to come. He hasn't treated the coat so great, and it looks as pristine as when he bought it last year.

Vintage Betty

Daniel

Familiar Face
If you're in a big city, a good way to find affordable good coats is to hit thrift stores. There are always LOTS of coats in thrift stores, and many of them are vintage.

My last purchase was a 70% wool / 30% Cashmere topcoat, in gray, for $10.00. It was dusty but is now at the dry cleaner's. The coat before that was green Loden topcoat, from the Tyrol, for $20.00. It needed new buttons and a cleaning, but now looks fantastic. Top-quality trench coats seem very common; I have one each in gray, black, and tan.

NonEntity

Suspended
I'll limit my remarks to new, full length men's 100% cashmere topcoats.

There are many grades of cashmere, so that affects price, but the good news is that the price of all cashmere has come down, way down, from a few years ago, when the best topcoats were at least $2500. It's a supply-demand thing. There's more cashmere around these days than you can shake a stick at, more than people want, and one can only guess how low prices will continue to sink.

This Fall, a neighbor got one for $1000 from Land's End, and it is absolutely gorgeous, not the best I've EVER seen, but close. That was full price. I later saw it in their Overstocks catalogue for $500, but some sizes were unavailable. I didn't have the heart to tell my neighbor they still had his size.

Unless you you are out for extended periods in bitter sub-10 degree F weather, or have cash to burn, your money will be much better spent on a fine trench coat with a removable wool lining. Though such a trench coat will cost about the same, it is light years more versatile, a three-season outer garment that can be used in cool weather without the lining into very cold climes with the lining. And if it's raining and/or windy, the moisture-and wind-resistant trench coat easily wins over the cashmere topcoat.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
I have had many vintage cashmere coats over the years. I always find the cashmere to be much higher quality and the tailoring vastly superior in the older stuff.

My last purchase from ebay was an Oxxford three-quarter length in Emperor’s Cashmere – the best grade coat I have ever had.

This set me back US$180 but it is mint from the late 1960s. A new equivalant from Oxxford will set you back almost US$4000!!

It really is worth looking in thrift and vintage stores – I have found a good source of stores in Toronto and Chicago as well as Camden Market but you do have to be patient and check that moth hasn’t visited for a lengthy and luxurious meal!!

dr greg

One Too Many
the top coat

Many years ago I got one for $10, with a few dings in it, took it to a tailor to be repaired, and he said "I won't touch it til it's drycleaned" so off to the drycleaner I went, and asked him if it was worth spending another 10 cleaning it, he offered me 400 for it on the spot. I got it done up and it has served me well, and looks good too. It is a vintage german one, and would cost a packet to buy new I assume!

Mike Hammered

New in Town
Mine cost roughly 1,500 USD, but it's been a real winner, especially at those times when being dressed to the nines enabled life-changing moments!

Weston

A-List Customer
Joseph A. Bank has clearance sales in which their cashmere top coats go half off. I got one for $300. Watcht the moths though – they did a number on mine. Still was able to sell it on eBay for a c-note though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner