Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CC41 - decoding the codes

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Digby Morton 1953:

digbymorton1953.jpg

1942 Utility suit by Digby Morton:

digbymorton1942b.jpg

how cool are these buttons ?

digbymorton1942.jpg

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
I thought this was about men's suits, if you start talking about ladies clothes of the period then you add in another layer of complexity to the cc41 think and clothes rationing as I say in a privious post ,
newlook.jpg

notice the date at the top of this page (1947)
Dior for one hid his stock of fabric during in the war years, could there have been others!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ladies & Gentlemen: This CC41 thread is, I believe, generic for both genders - and what a showcase it's already becoming!!.

What a wonderful opportunity of a platform for mutual sharing; education & hopefully collation of this fascinating information, for other's to learn from.

Quite spendid! :)

iPhone Comms

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
He said the solution was simple: when you ordered the trousers, the tailor wrote down your inside leg measurement as three inches longer than it really was. He cut the trousers, then you took it home and turned them up and stitched them in place. Hey presto, trousers with turn ups, all (sort of) within the regulations.

i've read that anecdote in several different versions regarding ways to circumvent austerity restrictions. i can only assume that every man in the country was on to that little trick. ;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I was aware this was coming out as I know the publisher. I see there is a talk by the author on the 14th November. If anyone in London fancies heading down, I might be able to drive them down. Send me a PM if interested.

PeterB

One of the Regulars
Thought I would revive this thread having just acquired a dinner jacket with a CC41label. On a related topic can anyone tell me what was utility cloth?

Desperandum

New in Town
Thought I would revive this thread having just acquired a dinner jacket with a CC41label. On a related topic can anyone tell me what was utility cloth?

Supposedly a lower grade of cloth, through content, weaving and finishing.

I have three CC41 shirts and collars which were issued to a family member on demobilisation in 1945. I wore them for several years as business wear, and they are still as good as new.

In the 1960s, as a penniless student, I dressed myself in a lot of Utility coats and suits, which in those days were readily available from secondhand clothes shops in the provinces.

In every case, the "low grade" Utility materials were streets ahead in quality and durability compared to anything but the very highest quality stuffs of today.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
In every case, the "low grade" Utility materials were streets ahead in quality and durability compared to anything but the very highest quality stuffs of today.
This is an exaggeration, to be honest.

Modern fabric of excellent quality can be found and it is much better than the equivalent-grade of the postwar era. Fabric is now softer and less stiff, which makes it more comfortable and less bulky. There are heavy weights available in fine finish so that one has the durability and crease resistance of heavy cloth without the discomfort of bulk and stiffness.

Fabric from CC41 suits was durable but not particularly luxurious by any means. Cloth with much better quality and almost same durability can be found today for very low prices.

The only thing that can not be denied is how awful is fabric in most RTW tailoring nowadays, Lightweight and paper-thin.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I agree. There are plenty of good suiting fabrics out there. I recently have gotten into the P&B Universal bunch from Harrison's - a 16 oz worsted with incredible drape potential. Good wool is out there. It's just pricey, and often not used for RTW production.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Yes, I second that. Good fabric is still produced in heavy weights but OTR industries push customers towards paper-thin "super" fabrics, so that nowadays the golden examples of luxurious suiting are the most fragile and feathery cloths. Think about the Zegna's madness of 15milmil, 14milmil, 13milmil fabrics: they are so expensive and yet so delicate you can't wear anything made with them but a few times per year. And stil Zegna makes a very good OTR cut.

Another factor that prevents OTR industry to use heavier fabric is the modern thing for "all-wheather" clothing - people nowadays seem very reluctant to perform what we usually call "wardrobe seasonal swap" and look for clothes that can be worn indifferently all year round.
It is a matter of fact that denser and heavier fabrics will feel uncomfortable during the heath, so it is just natural that lighter weights are favoured.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I think there is a certain amount of planned obsolescence involved too. The flimsier the "luxury" super wools are, the quicker your suit wears out, and the quicker you buy another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko