Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chaplis (or chapplies: Indian sandal thingies)

Baggers

Practically Family
What Price Glory has finally got them in. Just the job for anyone needing proper footwear to complete that L.R.D.G or Northwest Frontier look. Take a shufti here and let's hear what you think.

Cheers!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'm glad WPG have got a photo up at last. I was wondering what they'd look like, but failed to locate images over the past couple of days.

This pattern of sandal was sold all over the UK in the past and may even still be in production somewhere. These were mainly worn by older gentlemen with spindly legs and prominent knees. My grandad had a pair.

I may buy a pair.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Chaplis are still being made on an almost industrial scale in parts of India and are ridiculously cheap by Western standards.

I bet BT could be persuaded to bring a trunk load back with him!

Baggers

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
Chaplis are still being made on an almost industrial scale in parts of India and are ridiculously cheap by Western standards.

I bet BT could be persuaded to bring a trunk load back with him!

So I understand them to be, but my previous attempts to find any that looked like these, as well as not made of plastic in colors not found in nature have so far been fruitless.

Jerry was first to market and I ordered a pair last night. They'll look great with my skinny legs and prominent knees. lol

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
So I can stop having to go and look for the pitcher.

Northwest_Frontier_Chaplies_Sandal.jpg

$45. Don't dare ask Jerry if his sizes run true. :)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
It occurs to me that these may just fit into the 'edgy' apparel category. :eek:

I predict that in the summer of 2009 we'll see urban fashion redefined by FL-inspired youths wearing chaplis and aertex vests. And pith helmets. I don't see a place for 'Bombay bloomers', though, however hard I imagine.

Baggers

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
I think you mean first to market in the US?;)

Well, I suppose you could say that. Perhaps somewhere within the worldwide Indo-Pak community they're easily obtainable, but when last I attempted two or three years back, all I could find were much more colorful styles in modern materials. Within the reenacting community Jerry has always had an international customer base due to the internet. The only barrier was the cost of shipping from the U.S. But since he moved most of his warehousing to the UAE it's now much easier for people outside the U.S. to purchase from him.

At any rate, BT could have sourced a few pair through his connections, but for whatever reason he didn't and Jerry has filled the niche.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
It occurs to me that these may just fit into the 'edgy' apparel category. :eek:

I predict that in the summer of 2009 we'll see urban fashion redefined by FL-inspired youths wearing chaplis and aertex vests. And pith helmets. I don't see a place for 'Bombay bloomers', though, however hard I imagine.

You've been registered here how long? Since April of '08? Phhhft, we went down that road long ago. No fear, I can assure you that bombay bloomers are still just as unpopular today as they were in 1940.

Now a properly styled bush jacket? That, my friend, is the Holy Grail that we old desert hands still seek. ;)

Cheers!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
You've been registered here how long? Since April of '08? Phhhft, we went down that road long ago. No fear, I can assure you that bombay bloomers are still just as unpopular today as they were in 1940.

Now a properly styled bush jacket? That, my friend, is the Holy Grail that we old desert hands still seek. ;)

Cheers!

Interesting that the people who have purchased WPG's bush jacket speak highly of its authenticity on their comments forum.

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey Baggers, be sure to post some good pics when you get yours in, I'd like to see a couple different angles. Also, you can tell us what the fit's like.

Doug C

cookie

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
So I can stop having to go and look for the pitcher.

Northwest_Frontier_Chaplies_Sandal.jpg

$45. Don't dare ask Jerry if his sizes run true. :)

Now that I think of it this was the shoe fashion that greeted me as an airline crew member when we landed in Bombay/Mumbai. It was worn by these khaki clad guards who seemed to be either police or employed to shoo off the beggars from around the crew bus.

These kids were very amusing urchins who loved the Qantas red biros we gave out in economy class. Our arrival would be greeted with cries of "Qantas pen...Qantas pen" whence a few would be dispatched that we had handy for the use of passengers' arrival cards.

Ah the good ole days...m.em.ries... like the cornice of my mind....lol lol

Clever how the strap neatly buckles forward rather than daggy straps all bent at back as is usual in sandals.

I just bought a pair ...thanks Baggers

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Well I am going to get these , the Khaki bush jacket, my Bombay bloomers, the fly whisk, and most importantly a large Gin and Tonic and sit under a tent at a reenactment and have someone clean my kit:D :D lol

Doug C

Practically Family
... dog gone it, I'm considering the bombay bloomers too now [huh] . They'll definately fit in with today's preference for big and baggy, and the chaplis sandals will look awesome with 'em. Man this summer's lookin up!

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot