Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigarette case

panamag8or

Practically Family
Hmm, maybe this should go in the forum formerly known as the vice forum...

Anyway, I picked up this Ronson "Ten-a-case" at the antique mall yesterday.

a-cig-case1.jpg

a-cig-case2.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and say it is from 1949, because the exact same one is in this ad:
http://www.prestoimages.net/store/graphics02/2006_pd961653_1.JPG

Warbaby

One Too Many
Very nice case! Looks like it's in beautiful condition, too.

The problem with vintage cigarette cases is that they were made for regular size unfiltered cigarettes - but I've come up with a simple, if a bit fussy, solution for the problem. I use cigarette cases exclusively but I've smoked Dunhill's for many years and don't want to change brands, so...

I got a piece of thin-walled brass tubing that's the exact inside diameter as my cigs (available a model train and hobby shops). I cut several lengths to fit my various cases. I slip a cig into the tube and use a razor blade to slice the end of the cig flush with the end of the tube. Voila! A perfectly cut Dunhill that's exactly the right length.

P'raps we should continue this thread with a show-and-tell of our cigarette cases - or should we start a new thread in the connoisseur section?

panamag8or

Practically Family
Warbaby said:
Very nice case! Looks like it's in beautiful condition, too.

The problem with vintage cigarette cases is that they were made for regular size unfiltered cigarettes - but I've come up with a simple, if a bit fussy, solution for the problem. I use cigarette cases exclusively but I've smoked Dunhill's for many years and don't want to change brands, so...

I got a piece of thin-walled brass tubing that's the exact inside diameter as my cigs (available a model train and hobby shops). I cut several lengths to fit my various cases. I slip a cig into the tube and use a razor blade to slice the end of the cig flush with the end of the tube. Voila! A perfectly cut Dunhill that's exactly the right length.

P'raps we should continue this thread with a show-and-tell of our cigarette cases - or should we start a new thread in the connoisseur section?

I was cutting off the ends to make them fit, until someone suggested that I cut the filter end.:eusa_doh:
The spot for engraving is still blank, so I may get my initials put on it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I had the exact same case in my collection at one time. I acquired it knowing that it wasn't compatible with modern smokes but I just thought it looked cool. When I quit smoking over a decade ago I decided to divest myself of the collection at auction but I recall gifting the Ronson to a friend who was interested in it. The small case worked for him as he rolled his own cigarettes. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Warbaby said:
I've smoked Dunhill's for many years
I smoked them for twenty years; IMO they're the best cigarette on the market. I favored the Greens.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Warbaby said:

I think the Vices, I mean, the Connoisseur section is more about the desires themselves, and this thread is more about the objects of desire... the accessories to the crime as it were...

Warbaby

One Too Many
Show Us Your Cigarette Cases and Holders

Apologies in advance if this thread has appeared in the past - I searched but couldn't find anything.

I've been carrying my cigarettes in cases for years. They fit in your pockets better than cigarette packs, especially with suits, and they're much classier. I often smoke with a cigarette holder, as well. Anyone else indulge their filthy habit with style?

Here are a few of my favorites:

burlcases.jpg

This is my everyday case - 19th c. Russian burl wood with integral 'invisible' hinge cut into the wood. Shown with it is a matching matchbox.

cigcasesilver.jpg

This is my 'dress-up' case - heavy 1920s sterling case with French hallmarks.

CH_amber.jpg

My favorite holder - genuine amber with 14k fittings.

Ok, I've showed you mine; now show me yours.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Some beautiful cases in here!

I just recently got interested in cigarette cases. I don't smoke or collect them, but I do use them to hold my licenses, credit cards and money when I out around town. There's nothing like pulling out a classy vintage cigarette case to pay for something rather than a clunky ol' billfold. More streamline too.

cigcase001.jpg

cigcase002.jpg

Edit: how does one tell if a cig. case is a man's or a woman's? Is there really any way?

Warbaby

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Some beautiful cases in here!

I just recently got interested in cigarette cases. I don't smoke or collect them, but I do use them to hold my licenses, credit cards and money when I out around town. There's nothing like pulling out a classy vintage cigarette case to pay for something rather than a clunky ol' billfold. More streamline too.

Edit: how does one tell if a cig. case is a man's or a woman's? Is there really any way?

If it's decorated with rhinestones or poodles, it's probably a girly case :). Seriously, there were cases that were meant to be gender specific, but the differences are usually obvious. Women's cases were usually smaller and prettier. The small silver case in my previous post would have been appropriate for either sex.

Here's a little ladies' case in yellow champleve enamel:

cigcase_enamel1.jpg

This one with an exotic Moroccan theme could go either way because of its large size, but to me it feels a bit more feminine:

cigcase_gyppo1.jpg

The enameled hunter and dogs on this one makes it definitely a manly case:

cigcase_hunter1.jpg

Tortoiseshell cases were used by both men and women.

cigcase_tort1a.jpg

Hope that helps lend a little insight into the cigarette case gender issue.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Here are a couple more from my collection - and a brief description of common silver alloys. The first case is marked 835, an alloy containing 83.5% silver (sterling is 925 or 92.5% silver) that is often used for cigarette cases because it is harder and more resistant to scratching and denting.

cigcase_silver4.jpg

The next one is marked "Alpacca". Alpacca is an alloy of nickel, copper and zinc (no silver at all) that closely resembles sterling. It was developed and patented in the late 19th century by Berndorf AG., Austria. It is also sometimes marked A.L.P or ALPACCA PRIMA N.S.

This is the only case I have that fits my Dunhill's without having to cut them down.

cigcasesilverC2.jpg

Getting out my cigarette cases and photographing them has called my attention to the fact that I've accumulated more cases than I'll ever use (I can't resist a nifty cigarette case when I find one). I don't collect things for the sake of collecting, I collect things to use - so it's time to part with a few of them. When I decide which ones to let go of, I'll give FL members first choice and post them in the classifieds before I put them up on eBay.

Tony in Tarzana

Here's my Dad's silver cigarette case. It only holds unfiltereds as well, I smoke Luckies and use a Denicotea filtered holder.

It had elastic straps to hold the cigarettes, but those lost their elasticity long ago. I wonder how hard it would be to make new straps.

Click on the thumbnails for larger pictures.

Miss 1929

Not too hard

but difficult to find the little metal tabs that were on the ends of the elastic.
But you could just sew it or glue it or staple it. Depends on how authentic a restoration you want.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
It had elastic straps to hold the cigarettes, but those lost their elasticity long ago. I wonder how hard it would be to make new straps.

Easy. The originals were usually held in place by a thin, folded over strip of brass that clamped on the end of the elastic and kept it from slipping through the slot. While you could duplicate this if you're handy with fiddly little things, there's an easier way.

Just get some black (or other color you like) elastic in the width of your slots (available at fabric shops). Cut a piece a couple of inches little longer than you need. Put one end down through the slot, pull through enough to get a grip on, and put an ordinary staple across the end (The staple will be wider than the elastic and will pinch, rather than pierce it). Now pull it up snug and put the free end of the elastic down through the other slot. Pull it through so there's a bit of tension on the elastic. Mark or hold the spot where the staple should be, pull it further through to get a grip on, put in a staple, cut of the excess, and Bob's yer uncle. Takes about 2 minutes to do. I used to sew the ends, a tedious process, but the staple method works as well, takes only a few minutes, and I've never had one pull loose.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Maude Adams' Cigarette Case

Almost forgot to post pix of this one - it's the prize of my cigarette case collection. It was once owned by the great turn-of-the-century stage actress, Maude Adams, presented to her by the Schubert theater. Maude was best known for her role as Peter Pan in the original production of J.M. Barrie's play. The case is tortoiseshell with Maude's name in silver and an engraved gold monogram of the Schubert theater.

Usually I'm a chronic cheapskate and bargain hunter, but this was not one of those finds. I got it from a long-time San Francisco antique dealer who knew exactly what she had and was charging accordingly. When I first saw it at the Hillsboro antique show, I knew I had to have it but couldn't afford it. When I went to the show the following year, she still had it - obviously it was meant to be mine - and since I'd had some good sales at the show, I bit the bullet and bought it.

maudecase2.jpg

maudeB1f.jpg

And here's the beautiful Maude Adams:​

maude2b.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
I just obtained this nice cigarette case and wanted to share. This was the only cig-case thread out there. It has Stratton, Reg.Des 886136, Pat no. 851743, and Made in England on it. No silver hallmarks that I can find so it must be plated? It was $20 at the local show and looked sortof art deco to me so I bought it. It is very thin when closed and so only will fit the English Oval cigarettes. Any ideas how old it might be? Thanks!

CigCase.jpg

CigCase4.jpg

CigCase6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran