Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cinderella script a pumpkin!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I know this has been covered, but I only just saw Cinderella Man last night and, boy, was I disappointed. It had great production values: costumes, sets, etc., but it was strictly by the numbers in every other area. I can't believe that so much effort and expense went into a movie with such a seriously unspectacular screenplay. Beyond the simple, obvious types - the dutiful father, the faithful wife, the scrappy manager, the sneering capitalist, etc. - there was no character development at all, none, circumstances change but characters remain as resolutely cut-out-of-cardboard as when they first enter the picture. With the conclusion already established - in the trailer and the title not to mention in history - you'd expect that there would be more to the arc of these characters than just wending their way toward the foregone. Nobody speaks a single interesting or memorable line. There is no humour. There are characters that do nothing to complicate the relationships, to develop the main characters or to forward the plot. There is a pointless moment in Central Park. There are scenes lifted whole cloth from every other film made about the Depression ever, including FIST, one of the worst. And it fits a little too eagerly into that genre of sentimental sport films about underdogs during the Great Depression.

And the boxing scenes... yikes. :rage: Terrible. Badly edited, muddily shot, cartoonish and technically, really just laughable.

So, great eye candy, but otherwise a complete dud. It's not The Natural or even Seabiscuit, it's no Tucker or The Great White Hope, and it's not even in the same film-making universe as Raging Bull or Fat City. It's a lazy script and a mediochre movie that deserved to bomb.

Yuk.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I agree, it was a let down, even though when going to look for a movie, my first choice generally isn't a boxing movie, but I was extremely impressed with 'million dollar baby'...the characters were great, plus a good story

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I also think the reason why I like 'baby' better than 'cinderella' is because with the first one, it had me just about bawling....which considering me being a girl and all, is pretty darn hard to do...I love movies that grip you that way

Hondo

One Too Many
I agree Jack I mean Jake:cool: I only saw it for Renee, (just love this gal) plus they (script) gave Max Bear a raw deall, wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t a brut, or killer but a kind gentleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart