Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning a goat leather jacket?

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Path of least resistance first.

Wipe down with damp towel, see what that does first. You'd be surprised. Will tackle most things.

Need more power, add a little bit of leather cleaner, like 10 parts water, 1 part cleaner, you don't need a lot. And then again, wipe down with towel. Lexol is pretty good, there's probably fancier ones out there.

If you use cleaner, you have to use conditioner afterwards. Wait until it dries completely. Chances are you don't even need the cleaner. But I've had jackets that have been put through washing cycles, mostly to deal with sweat and cigarette smell than the actual leather. But again, if soap hits your jacket, absolutely condition. Just some water, you can assess after.

Laurus

Familiar Face
Path of least resistance first.

Wipe down with damp towel, see what that does first. You'd be surprised. Will tackle most things.

Need more power, add a little bit of leather cleaner, like 10 parts water, 1 part cleaner, you don't need a lot. And then again, wipe down with towel. Lexol is pretty good, there's probably fancier ones out there.

If you use cleaner, you have to use conditioner afterwards. Wait until it dries completely. Chances are you don't even need the cleaner. But I've had jackets that have been put through washing cycles, mostly to deal with sweat and cigarette smell than the actual leather. But again, if soap hits your jacket, absolutely condition. Just some water, you can assess after.
I was thinking that, but I wasn't sure how much damage water could do to the leather, whether it's just a damp towel or not. I'll give it a try though, thanks!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Most leather is going to be fine getting wet. I think that's a big myth that it can never get wet. I just washed in a bathtub a 20 year old suede jacket. Dry Cleaners around the world probably let out a cry. There's certainly some downside to it though, more so how it dries than just getting it wet. I probably wouldn't do with some fancy smancy Gucci calf skin or something like that. But any sort of "basic" leather jacket, you're good. Veg tan is tricky etc. And there's exceptions of course, but I'm 99.8 percent sure a damp towl ain't going to hurt your jacket.

Reactions: Alz
Lexol’s all leather cleaner is my favorite cleaner. Water normally is enough but sometimes a good cleaning is required.

jglf

A-List Customer
Goat is a very durable and water resistant leather compared to other animal hides. I use angelus easy cleaner. Brush on and wipe off.

jglf

A-List Customer
Most leather is going to be fine getting wet. I think that's a big myth that it can never get wet. I just washed in a bathtub a 20 year old suede jacket. Dry Cleaners around the world probably let out a cry. There's certainly some downside to it though, more so how it dries than just getting it wet. I probably wouldn't do with some fancy smancy Gucci calf skin or something like that. But any sort of "basic" leather jacket, you're good. Veg tan is tricky etc. And there's exceptions of course, but I'm 99.8 percent sure a damp towl ain't going to hurt your jacket.
agreed.

I’ve gotten jackets completely wet, used isopropyl alcohol, and acetone mixtures with no negative effects. Just make sure to condition after it’s dried. Number one way to destroy leather is to let it dry out and crack from not conditioning.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
Agreed. Damp cloth works miracles getting off dust/dirt that dulls the leather. I have sometimes had problems with haze developing after using cleansers. I think the heavy surface treatment of goatskins during tanning may mean a lot of stuff you use on it just sits on top of the hide.

Anybody know what causes those puckered spots that sometimes show up on vintage goatskin jackets like G-1s? Is it improper drying after it gets wet or is it heat exposure?
image.jpg

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
That looks like damage from the leather coming into contact with hot metal or something like that maybe? I've seen it common on these Jackets, what colour stains? who knows? could have been from a marine signal flare or smoke or something?

I have a good collection of these, some of them still have that un-mistakable aroma of a Cockpit.

Saddle soap would be fine but it will take you another 50 years to get it that dirty again...

These things are only new once, Might as well leave em as you found em IMHO.

The dirt has magical powers, That Jacket will bring you Good luck when you wear it.

Also, these Jackets Shrinnk!!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have used Lexol on every second hand jacket i have bought, never had a problem with it.
No need to use tons, i usually just put a little bit on a soaked microfiber, go over the entire jacket, rinse the microfiber, take off all the Lexol.
Depending on the condition of the jacket you might want to condition afterwards.
I personally don't like the lexol conditionner, it works well on couches and car seats but not great on jackets.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I second a moist cloth with a bit of mild detergent first. A moist cloth will not soak the leather through, it will just moisten the surface and the jacket will be dry again in no time, just cleaner, by gentle rubbing. You can use a white cloth to see how dirty the jacket was.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I've found just applying conditioner such as mink oil and wiping thoroughly with a towel will remove some surface dirt nicely, as it's been said here, just go easy on it as you are giving it a going over.

willyto

One Too Many
I've found just applying conditioner such as mink oil and wiping thoroughly with a towel will remove some surface dirt nicely, as it's been said here, just go easy on it as you are giving it a going over.
Mink oil will eventually rot the cotton stitching on jackets or shoes, same as Neatsfoot oil. I wouldn't use that.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Are G-1 Jackets Nylon, or 100% cotton stitching? I forgot about that, sorry for naming names, what's mink oil good for in that case?

barnabus

One Too Many
People are very respectful to their jackets. I put everything in the washing machine on a cold wash, wear it until it's dry and then use leather conditioner. Renapur is my choice of conditioner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24