Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clearance A-2

kobol

New in Town
Good Day,
Earlier today I stopped by a local army/navy surplus store and found a couple of Avirex A-2's on clearance for $125.00. I picked up the one below. It is a russet colored goatskin and the inside tag states: Drawing: 30-1415Contract No. 1978-01, Avirex Limited - New York, New York. The store had it marked as an Avirex WWII classic. It has a cotton lining and states it's made from goatskin. It has one piece back, 2pc sleeves and no handwarmer pockets. Also it has a "Scovill" gripper zipper
Can anyone provide any information on this particular jacket (early or later model, durability or known issues). I know it's probably far from being historically accurate but for the price I just couldn't pass it up.

avirex1.jpg

avirex2.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
My first A-2 flight jacket was an Avirex that I got way back in high school. It served me well and has held up great over the years, even fading from a too dark brown to a nice russet patina. The jacket fits much like a modern suit/sportjacket - big armholes, downward sleeve attachment - forget about raising your arms to do anything like drive a car. It's a walking around, standing around jacket. My tastes became more discriminating over the years so I look for something not only with more historical accuracy, but one that actually can be worn like a flight jacket should be. A true A-2 flight jacket should be like a second skin. My advice to you - if you like the jacket and the way it fits then buy it. However if you'd prefer to take a step up in authenticity (and especially in quality), then for just a little more money there are much better options out there today. Check out U.S.Authentic, Flightsuits.com (Gibson & Barnes), and even some of the sales jackets from the better companies like Aero. Good luck!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
OLD avirex iS authentic

had to comment on your avirex...despite claims, this baby is authentic...albeit those who say it isn't are likely referring to ww2 authenticity...which is correct, this is not authentic to ww2 a-2s...

however, this is in fact one of the avirex jackets made to milspec and used by mil personnel after the military recommissioned a-2 jackets in the 80s...so it is the real deal 80s-90s milspec made for actual pilot use...i just purchased a replica of this jacket made by the former owners of avirex at cockpit usa, and i paid another $100 for it...but it's a replica of your 80s reissue of the a-2 according to milspecs...i'd say you got a heckuva deal on a real deal a-2...i know i'm enjoying mine, which is the same as yours except made this year, but out of the exact same pattern...the cockpitusa current issue a-2 is indeed another generation away from the jacket you and i have, blowsier and with handwarmer pockets, and no throat latch...which is even further away from the ww2 models...the one you and i have, and any a-2 made to mil spec after they were recommissioned, is and are great jackets that come decently close to the ww2 sizing, not too long, but admittedly a bit fuller in the shoulders and chest...but nowhere near as full as the current issue

johnnyjohnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart