Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I posted about these jackets in another thread, but I wanted to start a dedicated one for the Cockpit G-1 Top Gun Heroes Jacket. I have tried on 3 different sizes so far and took measurements and pictures for everyone's benefit, in case some of you have been contemplating getting one. I can honestly say it is a very attractive and cool jacket even if I was hesitant at first because of the Top Gun association. Highly recommend it.

Here are the measurements and fit pictures for both sizes. I hope this also helps anyone deciding on getting one of the Top Gun Heroes jackets in the future :) For reference I am 6'2", 185lbs, broad shouldered/chested, normally wear a size 42 Long suit, and am wearing a button down shirt underneath a light cotton sweater beneath the jacket in this pictures.

These jackets run very trim so definitely size up at least one size from your regular G-1/chest size.

I haven't settled on one jacket size quite yet between the 44 and 46, so feel free to let me know which size you like the most. I already sent back the 42.

Size 46

Length: 26" - Collar seam to bottom of waist knit down the back
Pit to pit across back: 24" (a bit tough to get a true measurement with the bi-swing back - took it without it expanding)
Sleeve length: 28" - Shoulder seam to end of wrist knit cuff
Shoulder width: 20.5" - seam to seam on backside of jacket

Size 44

Length: 25.5" - Collar seam to bottom of waist knit down the back
Pit to pit across back: 23" (a bit tough to get a true measurement with the bi-swing back - took it without it expanding)
Shoulder width: 19.5" - seam to seam on backside of jacket

Size 42

Length: 25.5" - Collar seam to bottom of waist knit down the back
Pit to pit across back: 22"-22.5" (a bit tough to get a true measurement with the bi-swing back - took it without it expanding)
Shoulder width: 18.5-19" - seam to seam on backside of jacket

Last edited:

GregGale

One of the Regulars
Man, I really don't know. All 3 look nice. If I HAD to choose, I'd say go for the 44. The back of the 46 is protruding a bit, and it suggests there is too much extra room. There is almost no blousing on the 42, and there needs to be some, IMO. But at the end of the day it's up to you. How do you feel in each of them?

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Man, I really don't know. All 3 look nice. If I HAD to choose, I'd say go for the 44. The back of the 46 is protruding a bit, and it suggests there is too much extra room. There is almost no blousing on the 42, and there needs to be some, IMO. But at the end of the day it's up to you. How do you feel in each of them?

Hey Greg! I already sent back the size 42. I could have worn it, but it left very little room underneath and it did not look right.

The 44 feels pretty good. Leaves a bit of blousing to get the right look. I agree there needs to be a little bit of that. But it still keeps that trim look going.

The 46 feels fine too and looks similar in the front standing up, but blouses out some more in the back as you can see. It’s most noticeable when I sit down..the front puffs out noticeable. The shoulders on the 46 sit off a bit more and makes the knit cuff sit about 0.5 inches lower than the 44 sleeves.

Seems like the size chart on Cockpit’s website is accurate with the recommendation to go at least one size up from your measured chest size.

But I had one friend tell me today keep the size 44. I tried it on in front of my my tailor told me she thinks the 46 looks better. But I am sort of at a loss as to which one to keep...the 46 is roomier so of course it is more comfortable, but I want to nail down the G-1 look and don't want it to look sloppy. What do you think?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've struggled for years to get a G-1 that fits (46 chest but very wide shoulders). Have had some great looking jackets (originals and repros) that got compliments but were a bit snug in the shoulder dept & thus not a joy to wear. Trying to strike a balance between comfort and appearance hasn't been easy, looking now at a repro size 48, slightly less trim in the body but easier to wear.

bn1966

Looking to buy the ELC goatskin 'early' version G-1 early Fall (48), tried a 46 on a few weeks ago (snuggish chest and shoulders both).
48 should be spot on, purchased a Monarch contract A-2 whilst I was there (being delivered Tues), again a size up to hit the shoulder numbers for a slightly more relaxed fit (my 46 was glove tight..T-shirt only)

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I won’t lie...feels pretty damn cool to ride with the jacket up and down the Pacific Coast Highway. I'm wearing chest and back motorcycle armor underneath.

1DC03936-274E-4268-926B-DE199B2E0E41.jpeg

Last edited:

bn1966

Very cool Sir..very cool..I'm liking. Out on my early 50's style Vespa tomorrow in my 'vintage look' clothing with armour & Kevlar underneath :)

Powerband

Practically Family
Drewdog, looks great. I’ve ridden PCH dozens of time—a good leather jacket comes with the territory here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21