Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit Horsehide A-2 Jake Cutter's Flying Tigers tribute jacket

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hello all,
I took this jacket off Greg's hands a while back, as a knock around (helping to offset his awesome ELC Star no doubt).
I liked it so much, I decided to spruce it up a bit. Replaced the knits, lining and added an authentic-as-possible leather AVG Blood Chit.
And this is the result: A tribute to Jake Cutter's Flying Tigers A-2 jacket, from the 1980's 'Tales of the Golden Monkey' TV series!
Cockpit HH A-2 7.jpg

Tales of the Gold Monkey.jpg

This is not meant to be representative of any specific A-2 contract or AVG jacket... its a nostaglic-throwback to a show that I loved as a kid.
That 'show jacket' was clearly a common 80s repro, (Avirex?) not super 'authentic', had hand-warmer pockets etc... Looked the part though!
Am pretty sure there must have been a wardrobe of them...
Cockpit HH A-2 1.JPG

This Cockpit WW2 Gov issue A-2 however, is a decent quality darker seal horsehide jacket, with all the 'proper' bits and pieces....
Relatively well-made and solid.
Its not patterned off any particular 'original maker' contract, its more representative of a generic A-2 made to WW2 spec.
Has a collar stand and also some mismatched hides, which is pretty cool for this jacket. Scovill zipper. Small pockets.
Cockpit HH A-2 5.jpg

Greg put some good wear into it before it came to me, so it has a lot of character and pesonality....
Sizing is... a bit... weird. This is a 36L and I normally wear a 40L. Anyway... Its comfy enough and easy to wear.
Horsehide is a little bit thicker than any ELC jacket I have had, but not by much. Good stitching.
Cockpit HH A-2 3.jpg

Jacket - Cockpit WW2 Government Issue A-2, Mahogany Horsehide, size 36 Long (I am 5'10+, 39"-40" chest, 72+kg).
Blood Chit - Top quality leather chit, handmade and hand-painted by Sean Collins.
Cockpit HH A-2 4.jpg

Knits are authentic replacement seal brown knits from Larry at Flightjacketknits.
Byson here in the UK replaced the knit (not the best job mind you) and lining (which is more 'orange' than the original lining, but its fine), and also sewed on the Blood Chit (olive drab threat as requested). OK work (not jumping up and down)... not cheap, nor quick, as it turns out...
Cockpit HH A-2 2.jpg

Cockpit makes a nice jacket. These are not cheap mind you, and not 'original-maker' authentic... but all the details are there, strong, comfortable and well put together nevertheless... Love it for what it is.
Cockpit HH A-2 8.jpg

ps Apologies for the poor fit pics, indoor phone camera... Too warm to take it out and do some proper ones. Promise to do so when it cools down.

thor

One Too Many
Cool jacket! “Tales of the Gold Monkey” came out when I was just a kid but that show got me hooked on leather flight jackets (as well as old sea planes/flying boats).
My first leather jacket was a Schott A-2 with a home-made blood chit that I made myself.
I still have a “Jake Cutter” TOTGM A-2 with blood chit (an LL Bean model A-2) somewhere in the back of my closet.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Nice jacket and it fits you great..thanks for sharing the back story.. I don't remember the TV show but the still pics look familiar somehow..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner