Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit USA A-2 HH

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Yesterday miss caveman and I paid a visit to Cockpit's singular NoHo retail store (see last pic). Customer service was great and the store itself was pretty cool. There's a front section of a vintage aircraft just behind the front doors.

While there I picked up their WWII repro in HH. Perhaps not as authentic as the higher tier repros but still not bad considering the price and accessibility. The staff I spoke to seemed pretty knowledgeble and tell you right up front that their HH A-2 is not a copy of a specific contract but does replicate the gov't specs from the period. They don't make any claims to be anything more or less than what they are. I'm not a thread counter so that was good enough for me.

Hide is soft and very light for HH which I preferred. I don't want another stiff HH jacket and would have gone for their goat A-2 if that was the case.

Knits are a cotton-blend which is the only downside. US-A and LL Bean A-2's sit at the same price point and offer wool. Lining is brown cotton and looks period-correct. You can glimpse it in the pics below.

Fit is pretty good. The 42R I got is just a tad short for me in the torso and a bit loose in the chest. Otherwise, its 90% there. Definitely better than the US-A in 42 which I could use as a sleeping bag. lol

Overall, I like it and the fact that it's made and retailed by local New Yorkers is a plus for me. Wanted to post this since, for whatever reasons, Cockpit/Avirex stuff doesn't get much press here abouts.

Untitled6-1.jpg

Untitled4-3.jpg

Untitled3-6.jpg

Untitled1-5.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

Here's a pic of the store hot-linked from the cockpitusa site:

front_11_revised2.jpg

442RCT

One of the Regulars
The 42R I got is just a tad short for me in the torso and a bit loose in the chest.

Torso length looks fine, and I agree about the chest, but overall, looks fine.:cool:

I bought an Avirex hh sz 42 as new, recently off eBay and the jacket is way too large for me. I picked a sz 42 because I have an Avirex 'AC Delco' jacket in sz 40 which is a tad bit tight., I thought the Avirex hh would be the same 'mil spec' trim sizing. Sizing is so confusing in A-2s, even from the same manufacturer. Thanks for posting the review, I'm planning on posting my sz 42 Avirex in the classified section. Your post pretty well describes the jacket.:eusa_clap

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Cockpit HH A-2

Looks like it will age and settle down nicely ... it looks a comfortable fit to wear, for those wanting a trimmer fit I guess a size down would do the trick. I like a looser fit to hide my middle age spread!

The store looks good too. It's a shame the Cockpit Store in London never lasted - and I say that with particular feeling as I worked all through a cold winter night to assist in negotiating a 3/4 size replica Mustang down Oxford St and through the store front and then another 36 hours straight to get the place ready for the grand opening! The London branch was more 'fashion' focussed than vintage or historic; and that's probably why it didn't have the same staying power as the New York HQ. It couldn't really be any different on Oxford St though so it was kind of cool while it lasted but never really likely to stay forever.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Very nice jacket, Captain. Fit looks good. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Cheers,

Mac

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thruxton

Great choice in jackets and motorcycles! An A2 and a Thruxton, doesn't get much better then that! Now I whish I had not sold my Cockpit A2, and had opted for the Thruxton instead of the Bonneville.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Man your acquiring jackets at a frantic rate. Whilst I really liked the LL Bean 'G1' & fell in love with the Schott 689H, for me, this one is a little on the roomy side. Still a nice jacket though so congrats.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
jon z said:
Man your acquiring jackets at a frantic rate. Whilst I really liked the LL Bean 'G1' & fell in love with the Schott 689H, for me, this one is a little on the roomy side. Still a nice jacket though so congrats.
Thanks. Actually I'm starting to feel the same way. I'm going to drop by the store on Wed and see if the 40R or 40L fits better.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
yay cockpit

nice! and you had the fun of going to that store. jacket actually looks perfect fit...size around torso is how i wear mine, wouldn't go any tighter on me, but each to his own.

had thought you were going to get the cockpit ww2 repros with the leather patches on them, they make 3 versions...one i have is the very accurate flying tigers. as they say, not a repro of a specific contract, but everything is accurate to the way these early a-2s were styled (meaning 41 or 42) and totally accurate to all period milspecs.

i say keep the one you have...i've found if you go tighter it doesn't have the same hang, so the waist might be a bit higher, which i think it shouldn't be from your pix. either way, great jacket!

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
I didin't want patches because I like a plain, no frills jacket. To each his own...

I just got back from the store. Turns out the 40R in goat fits a heck of alot better. Much less baggy and sleeve length is spot on now. I'll probably go back next year or two and pick up their G-1 in goat too. Their 40 fit me right on and the G-1 is arguably a better moto jacket with it's bi-action back.

I'll post a separate review of the 40R goat when I get a chance.

What I don't get is that this firm makes some great repros - not stitch for stitch like GW or Aero but that's not they're goal anyway - at a reasonable price yet they don't get nearly as much copy on FL and VFJ as US-A or G&B or even Cooper. Must be the whole unfortunate association with Ecko and hip-hop fashion that steer some folks away.

Whatever real or percieved prior transgressions seem to be in the past now. Well, just more food for thought for those looking for a mid-priced A-2, especially if they're in the NYC area. :)

johnnyjohnny said:
nice! and you had the fun of going to that store. jacket actually looks perfect fit...size around torso is how i wear mine, wouldn't go any tighter on me, but each to his own.

had thought you were going to get the cockpit ww2 repros with the leather patches on them, they make 3 versions...one i have is the very accurate flying tigers. as they say, not a repro of a specific contract, but everything is accurate to the way these early a-2s were styled (meaning 41 or 42) and totally accurate to all period milspecs.

i say keep the one you have...i've found if you go tighter it doesn't have the same hang, so the waist might be a bit higher, which i think it shouldn't be from your pix. either way, great jacket!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
said:
What I don't get is that this firm makes some great repros - not stitch for stitch like GW or Aero but that's not they're goal anyway - at a reasonable price yet they don't get nearly as much copy on FL and VFJ as US-A or G&B or even Cooper.
I got this same model about 3 years ago and was well and truly schooled by a few of the Loungers (none still present, I don't think). The gist was that it's missing just enough touches and enough of the look not to be much of a repro. If you ask me, the big, close-set pockets are the dealbreaker, but no one did, so...

It was my impression that Cockpit's patched Tiger jacket is a more faithful replica than the others, and that they do not offer it unpatched (at least for the US market).

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Flying Tigers and Cockpit...

Fletch said:
It was my impression that Cockpit's patched Tiger jacket is a more faithful replica than the others, and that they do not offer it unpatched (at least for the US market).

The tigers jackets have always been the flagship jackets from Cockpit with good reason. JC owns and wears a beautiful original with an Angels breast patch and flying tiger on the right arm as per the non-conformist AVG. I think I read somewhere that either JC, Frank or Jacky is related in someway to a Tiger - hence their company obsession with the Flying Tigers. Ne'er a year as gone by without a Tiger interpretation in their range as far as I know!

As for the hip hop stuff - that was a case of a cool brand hi-jacked - Cockpit is better of without the Ecko connection and is back to their roots and doing what they do best. It will probably take a few years to rebuild but from what I see now they are going in the right direction once more.

reflected

New in Town
Great review, thanks! I'm planning to buy one of these, but I can't go to the store and try it on.
My chest size is 39, I'm 6 feet tall and I weigh 154 lbs. I'd like a tighter fit than the one on your photos. Can you give me any advice what I should go for? I own a 1978 Avirex (goatskin), size 40 and it fits perfectly.

Many thanks!

subject101

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm impressed with this manufacturer but they should improve their international shipping policies for guys from abroad. They charge "25% of the merchandise total plus $20.00 for handlingth." People don't need a limo for having their jackets delivered!

Before I found TFL, I thought Avirex (Cockpit), Schott, Vanson were all highly respected makers. What I've learned is not unlike when I got into watches. Seiko, Hamilton, Oris all make very good- excellent watches- but the watch dweebs ( of which I am now one) see those as "consumer level" units. Not to say they're bad, but they're everywhere, and really, not special, per se. I have Ball, Fortis, and Sinns now, which make you see why they don't look upon the consumer models highly.
Jackets ( and anything really) are no different. I have Avirex, Schott, and Vansons. All great jackets for high-end consumer, off the rack models. NOTHING wring with that, but obviously, a custom LW, Aero, Eastman or Barnes are high-zoot.
It's always a fine balance between being an aficionado and a snob. Personally, those pix of you in that Cockpit look great, but I'm not one who likes skin-tight clothing due to my 49 year old less than cover boy physique.
I think it's important to remember not everyone has $1000's to spend on casual jackets. ;)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's the official measurements sent to me by Cockpit for their WWII Horsehide jacket (what captaincaveman posted originally) for sizes 40R, 42R, and 42L.

40R
chest 48"
back length 25.5"
sleeve 36.5"
cross shoulder 21"

42R
chest 50"
back length 26.5"
sleeve 37"
cross shoulder 21.5"

42L
chest 50"
back length 27.5"
sleeve 38"
cross shoulder 21.5"

Kruppi-75

New in Town
I am in trouble to choose right size for WWII Government Issue A-2 Jacket Cockpit USA my G-1 Cockpit USA jackets size 44 are good fitting but i suppose that A-2 is more loose style. My chest 42,5" but i have a stomach so my waist is about 42",i am 182 cm tall. Is ther anybody help me ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails