Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Kamikat, I get where you're coming from. You are taking a certain amount of chance. "Caveat emptor" for sure. That's why leaving accurate feedback for these types of sellers is invaluable. I always read through as much feedback as possible for perishables such as these. She does offer samples so that you can check it out for yourself before buying and she lists every ingredient in case you have allergies. If your skin is super sensitive, stay away for sure just to be safe.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
With summer approaching I can't imagine I will enjoy my cold cream as much as I do the rest of the year... New England has hot/humid summers.

Do you still use yours?

FaintlyMacabre

Alot more questions...

I've read this WHOLE thread. Thanks for all the great info, ladies!
As far as Pond's goes: There Dry Skin Cream with the blue lid is NOT for cleansing moisturizing like so many of you have been using? Its the "Cool Classic" (not the Cucumber one) that I should get to try this regimen out?

I read a few times here about Rose Water and Glycerin....is that for moisturizing? Is this store bought or homemade? Do you spray it on? I know Glycerin is not as thick (viscous) as honey so I can't imagine you'd be able to spread it on like a lotion.

And I would sure like to hear more about homemade cold creams. The safety factor came up regarding purchasing homemade products online, but I would sure like to try making and using some homemade cold cream that doesn't have anything questionable in it (ie. mineral oil, petroleum, anything hard to pronounce). Any experience you could share? Should that be a whole 'nother thread?

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for home made, so bartenders, please move if needed. I admit I have been so obsessed with my middy and pin curls, that I haven't looked for home made cosmetics threads...

FaintlyMacabre said:
I read a few times here about Rose Water and Glycerin....is that for moisturizing? Is this store bought or homemade? Do you spray it on? I know Glycerin is not as thick (viscous) as honey so I can't imagine you'd be able to spread it on like a lotion.

And I would sure like to hear more about homemade cold creams. The safety factor came up regarding purchasing homemade products online, but I would sure like to try making and using some homemade cold cream that doesn't have anything questionable in it (ie. mineral oil, petroleum, anything hard to pronounce). Any experience you could share? Should that be a whole 'nother thread?

Glyercerin is a substitute for honey, both are humectants (they keep moisture on the skin). I would guess the Rose Water and Glycerin is a toner - I'm a big fan of Janice Cox' Natural Beauty at Home http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Beauty-Home-Recipes-Revised/dp/0805070222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271017159&sr=8-1

One of the recipes is a honey toner (p. 51), which has 4 ingredients (honey, lemon juice, rose water and witch hazel). You could substitute glycerin for the honey. I don't know all of the things it's made of, but the place I get my ingredients (Zenith Supply in Seattle).

I have been using the Original Greek Cold Cream for almost a week and it's awesome.

Janice discusses equipment, ingredients, and safety. Also, some of the recipes have 'fragile' ingredients, such as fresh cucumber juice. She always notes special storage or shelf life issues with these recipes.

FaintlyMacabre

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Janice Cox book. I'd just heard about it. AND for the Zenith Supply resource....I'm in Seattle, too. I'm def going to experiment with cold cream recipes.
I've been using the "Classic" ponds for almost a week. I wish had some amazing results to report, but not really. My nose is pretty "slick" in the morning so i think I'll try following the nighttime rub on/towel off routine with some witch hazel and see how that goes.
On the other hand.....Is your skin supposed to be oily in the morning? or is that a sign of too much oil?
Otherwise, without using any other cleansers, moisturizers...my face feels pretty good.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up the Janice Cox book from the library. I already make my own bath salts with BPAL scented oils, I think I'll try my own cold cream.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ThesFlishThngs said:
I thought I spied Jergens in Target the other week, but when I went back to get some, couldn't find it at all. The Pond's I've been using is a Mexican version, 'crema c', I think it's called, with green label and lid. It's been fine, though I couldn't quite understand why so many people were going on about the lovely, distinctive scent of Pond's...

I am finding that green Mexican version of Pond's MUCH BETTER for my skin. And much less greasy and easier to get off.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
. My nose is pretty "slick" in the morning so i think I'll try following the nighttime rub on/towel off routine with some witch hazel and see how that goes.

FaintlyM: I have not been leaving the cold cream on my face at night. I have left it on for a minute (the one-minute mask mentioned earlier in this thread), then get the sink water nice and warm (on the hot side, but my water heater is set hot..hot...hot!), soak the wash cloth, wring then set it on my face for a moment before wiping all the cold cream off. I follow with Janice's Royal Rose toner. I haven't needed moisturizer...yet. I'm sure everything will be hunky-dory, skin-wise, for the warmer months.

kamikat - bath salts with scented oils are the best, no? Janice offers several versions of the cold cream. I chose Original Greek because I had all the ingredients on hand.

One tip about the cold cream...I don't know why Janice thinks you can *whisk* the ingredients into a stiff cream...perhaps if you had an hour. I have one of those magic bullets for the home made cosmetics because I wanted my food blender separate from my cosmetics blender. Anywho... with the magic bullet, the lid screws at the bottom. The next time I make this recipe, I am going to add the borax/water solution to the oil/beeswax solution; mix well and let cool for a few moments. It was so hot when I turned the liquids over that the bullet container expanded and some of the cream shot out of the bottom. Basic physics in actions...fortunately no harm was done to human or kitchen counter. It might be best to let the mixture cool even if you're using the standard upright type of blender...just sayin. safey first, gals!

I don't know all of the things it's made of, but the place I get my ingredients (Zenith Supply in Seattle).
This *should* read..."the place I get my ingredients (Zenith)...offers vegetable-based glycerin. I don't really want to contemplate where else glycerin comes from...:p

Miss 1929...I'm tempted to pick up some ponds just to find out what this scent is...

FaintlyMacabre

@Tenuki - No, I wasn't leaving the cold cream on over night, either. Just hot toweling it off. Actually, like this:
*Rub on the Pond's, tissue off
*Apply another round of Pond's, leave it on while I brush teeth
*Towel off with warm washcloth
Done.

Last night I added:
*swipe T-zone with witch hazel soaked cotton ball.

Less oil slick on my nose this morning so I'll keep it up and see what happens. I want to make the Apple/Witch Hazel toner that I saw on Janice Cox's website.

I'm also going to hop on over to the Oil Cleansing Method thread cuz I want to try that, too.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I decided to try out some Ponds last night and grabbed one of the green and white jars at Target yesterday. The smell, oh the smell, it was like someone smacked me in the face with a rose bush. It kinda gave me a migraine. Besides the smell the overall experience was all right, it was cool and refreshing, took off my makeup, all though it left my skin tingling and very slight burning. If it wasn't for the overpowering smell, I would continue with it because it makes my skin soft. I think I will search out an unscented version or make my own.

Lily Amelia

New in Town
Boots Original Formula

While I was in Boots yesterday I noticed that all of their Original Formula range was on offer at half price! I'd been wanting to try these for a while but thought they were a bit expensive, so I decided to jump at the chance to get the cold cream, skin tonic and vanishing cream at a bargain price. I still have some other stuff at home to use up first so haven't had chance to try it yet, but for the time being its looking nice on my dressing table :)

Sorry there's no review here, but I just thought I'd let everyone know so they could stock up if they like it!

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
I use ponds at the moment & i am very happy with it.I tend to mainly use it at night.I put it on b4 i get in the shower,let it sit for a minute then use the hot face cloth to wipe it off.When i get out i use some witch hazel & then b4 i go to bed i put on another layer of ponds .I have an oily t zone & i havn't been slick or shiny at all in the mornings,it may be too much for summer though,i'd probably just skip the extra layer then.
In the morning i use pears soap with warm & then cold water,witch hazel & a light day moisturiser.
We can't usually get ponds here i was just lucky enough to find some end of line jars at a discount chemist..
May i please have some opinions on Jergens all purpose cream,i was thinking of trying it & i would luv some feedback before i shell out for international shipping.
Thankyou in advance :)

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
After many of the wonderful reviews on Ponds, I went out and got a jar. I really like the way it makes my skin look and feel! I can see my acne (blackheads) getting better. Today I am noticing a pimple, but I haven't had any major breakouts :)

As far as the smell goes, eww! It remonds me of lavender (which I HATE), but to my boyfriend (whom I got to start using it as well!), he said it reminds him of pine needles...

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
I wanted to clarify that I really DO like Ponds Cold Cream! In just a week it has helped reduce the appearance of my acne dramatically! However, the smell can be a little overpowering, so for those interested open the jar and take a whiff or buy at a place you can return (CVS Walgreens, etc...) if you don't like the smell. I especially RECCOMMEND this for those needing help w/acne.

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
I just have to add that i made the silly mistake of using a whitening cream & my face & neck broke out in a terrible ,sore ,red ,itchy rash:eek: .I thought i would skip the cold cream & use jojoba oil to heal it but it did absolutely nothing so the next day & overnight i applied the ponds & by the morning it was all gone:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran