Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It never used to be this hot. I've lived here for almost 50 years and there's no record in that time of a whole week of 110 to 114 degrees.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It never used to be this hot. I've lived here for almost 50 years and there's no record in that time of a whole week of 110 to 114 degrees.

It's mental Seb. This feels worse than the lead up to Black Saturday in 2009.

It's vicious mate, hope you're keeping as cool as you can.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the bush with these temps and the winds forecast for Friday.

Stand By

One Too Many
Holy $hit. Sounds like life in an oven set to Gas Mark 4 !!! You (and all Down Under) have all of my sympathies, Smithy. As you say, there's bugger all you can do about it (besides cold Guinness!) - one can shed only so many clothes without being arrested!
Meanwhile, up here, we've enjoyed a bit of a thaw for a few days ! A thaw ! It was only set to last a few days, so I've made the most of the lull by getting the pick and shovel out and have been digging up the 2-3"of solid ice on the driveway (a leftover from the snow + the ice storm) and paths around the house. It's been like chipping away at concrete. And of course, with the thaw, we had some flooding in the basement (again) and so I've been busy with the wet vac and moving furniture. Deep joy.
But the drive and paths are all clear and dry - and now the temps are on the way down again and the flannel-lined pants, B3 and C3 are out again ...!
But at least we're not being cooked ....! Keep the pint glasses in the fridge, mate. All the best.

frussell

One Too Many
Flooding and shoveling ice doesn't sound much fun, but I'd trade some cold weather with some of you folks right now. Seems like our winter is already over here. It's in the upper 70s to low 80s every day right now. I got about 2 weeks of wearing my Teamster and Pendletons, now it's back to short sleeves. Seb, I can sympathize. In my part of Southern California, we routinely get up to 120 degrees or more in summertime. I need to move somewhere with real, defined seasons. Frank.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Seb and Smithy, I can feel your pain. I never get used to hot weather either.

BTW, what's the "thermal sensation" in New York and above? Maine, Quebec, Newfoundland...? Colder than the real temperature?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the thoughts guys. 9:25am here and already 31.9 Celsius. The real problem is that we're not getting any relief at night. It's hitting over 40 in the day but the temperature isn't dropping below 29 or 30 overnight and the heat from the day is radiating out from buildings, houses. Not nice.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's 44'c (about 111'F) right now in Australia. And no. We sold out. Do you have one we could borrow?

Smithy, I love Tintin!!

Me too ;)

Unfortunately we don't have air con either, we're renting and the place we're in doesn't have it.

This week has been an absolute bloody nightmare. The tennis had to be stopped today, commuters were told to leave the CBD early and there is an extremely serious bushfire threat for tomorrow with up to gale force winds and temps hitting 44 Celsius in metropolitan Melbourne alone.

http://www.theage.com.au/

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I really feel for you. Sydney was always supposed to be hotter than Melbourne in summer. That's climate change for you.

Thanks Lolly, it's pretty trying that's for sure. There's a cool change forecast to come through late tomorrow so we go from 44 Celsius tomorrow down to 24 Celsius on Saturday - that's Melbourne for you!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
40.5c in canberra today.....long hot dusty days for sure...at least you can head to st kilda for a dip Smithy..

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Me too ;)

Unfortunately we don't have air con either, we're renting and the place we're in doesn't have it.

This week has been an absolute bloody nightmare. The tennis had to be stopped today, commuters were told to leave the CBD early and there is an extremely serious bushfire threat for tomorrow with up to gale force winds and temps hitting 44 Celsius in metropolitan Melbourne alone.

http://www.theage.com.au/

Melbourne trams and trains shutting down in hot weather is nothing new. It's been happening for years. The moment the mercury goes above 35, you better start loving shoes. Because that's the only way you'll get anywhere without a car once the trains stop.

As someone who relies heavily on public transport, I can assure it's a double kick in the nuts. Honestly, Melbourne's had a working tram network since the 1880s, and a working train network since the 1850s. You'd think by now, they'd have learned how to operate their machinery in hot weather.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Melbourne trams and trains shutting down in hot weather is nothing new. It's been happening for years. The moment the mercury goes above 35, you better start loving shoes. Because that's the only way you'll get anywhere without a car once the trains stop.

As someone who relies heavily on public transport, I can assure it's a double kick in the nuts. Honestly, Melbourne's had a working tram network since the 1880s, and a working train network since the 1850s. You'd think by now, they'd have learned how to operate their machinery in hot weather.

Tell me about it Shangas! They seem to be able to run trains out in places like Pilbara where those sorts of temps are the norm but Melbourne - no way. Comes down to the fact that they need to spend money on upgrading the lines, trains, trams and as we all know when it comes to stumping up and getting the chequebook out all the polies and powers-that-be end up doing a lot of handwringing and not a lot else.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Smithy, you and I could jump in the Yarra if we'd a mind to it. We could swim to the CBD and back home!!

I reckon I'd only make it about 10 metres before I'd have to climb out and head to the nearest pub for a cold beer ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Talk about the ultimate thread hi-jack from "Down-Under"!!!! Man just reading about your ordeal is making me sweat. It's 26 Degrees Farenheit outside and snowing... I've a spare bedroom... any of you blokes willing to shovel snow for your room and board are more'n welcome!

Worf

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Talk about the ultimate thread hi-jack from "Down-Under"!!!! Man just reading about your ordeal is making me sweat. It's 26 Degrees Farenheit outside and snowing... I've a spare bedroom... any of you blokes willing to shovel snow for your room and board are more'n welcome!

Worf

Put the kettle on, I'll be there in a tick!

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
US East Coast Polar Vortex part 2...blizzard conditions and near-zero temps! Still wearing my trusty Bill Kelso W&G model M-422 with a wool sweater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran