Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I will never hope for cold weather again. (not really I love the cold).

Like many of you I always look forward to cold temps so I have a reason to wear my heavy leather.

Last week I was in Minnesota and the low was -12 F the high was 12F, and the average was 0. Man was ths cold. I had a goat skin Oil Rigger from Cockpit with a thin down jumper. This combination was very warm. My big mistake was no hat.

I just ordered a an Aero Stockman from Thurston Brothers in Jerky Horsehide Seal with storm cuffs and an Alpaca lining.

I will post pics when it arrives.

Dave

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Coldest weather I've been in was -30C to -35C with wind chill during one winter in Waterloo, ON while I was attending university (1993?). Fortunately I had my old Swedish army greatcoat with me and that helped, but like you I didn't have a hat. Somehow when you're in your late teens or early 20s the temperature doesn't matter much. That sort of cold would scare the hell out of me today, some 20 years later.

Coldest for me was ~-35° in my hometown. Down jackets. Wind. Hell! Only leather that would work would be one of those Aero furry things. I love cold weather myself. I can't get my wife into the moving north thing yet.

I think the coldest I've seen was 12-15 below zero. Don't enjoy cold weather at all. Give me 82 degrees and I'm happy. I'm looking out the french door widows now at 5" of snow with big flakes still stacking it up. Shearling weather.
HD

pak

One of the Regulars
-55F with 30mph wind winter work on the shores of the Arctic ocean. Waaaay tooo cold for me!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
pak said:
-55F with 30mph wind winter work on the shores of the Arctic ocean. Waaaay tooo cold for me!
That's just plain awful.

Here's a useless but relevant fact: the F and C scales match at -40 degrees.

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Once you are below minus 30 it all feels the same. For me the coldest was around minus 35, windchill pushing minus 50, hauling in wood to heat an old farmhouse. My answer was a cotton t shirt, under a cotton rugby shirt, under a woolie jumper, under a woolen jerkin, woolen jacket, woolen coat and then an ex Canadian Army parka, two pairs of gloves, with a hat on my hat and the parka hood over both. It did no good and I am still trying to warm up ten years later.

g.durand

One Too Many
Here's a useless but relevant fact: the F and C scales match at -40 degrees.

DD-that is actually useful information. I was out in -40 (F and C) in the Adirondack Mountains in New York State a couple of times. I spent seven winters there. I also worked outdoors during several winters. The coldest I could stand for an entire day was about +10F.

Perhaps that's why I moved to California.

VTporkpie

Familiar Face
Every year in Vermont felt like it was colder than the last, hated Jan-Feb where it never got above freezing for weeks and seldom above 15-20F. I loved the summers, but glad I moved before this upcoming winter (High of 12F yesterday, high of 10F today and it's only December...)

Worst night was climbing Mt Whitney at -10° and snowing. When we made summit after dark, we were in three feet of snow and suffering from exhaustion. It felt like -50° and the chill was unbearable, but the migraines were 10x worse. It took us an hour to boil a few cups of H2O for our freezes dried turkey. Three of us crammed the two-man tent and prayed for morning.
One of the best weeks of my life, but the pain that day/night was incredible. Think I'll go out and lay in the hammock. It's gonna be nice today lol

g.durand

One Too Many
Every year in Vermont felt like it was colder than the last, hated Jan-Feb where it never got above freezing for weeks and seldom above 15-20F. I loved the summers, but glad I moved before this upcoming winter (High of 12F yesterday, high of 10F today and it's only December...)

Same here. I remember once in NY it didn't get above zero for a week and a half. One day, after the weather broke, I was walking down the street in Lake Placid, the temperature was 10F, and I was thinking how warm it felt...

ButteMT61--the one thing we can take away from experiences like that is if we live to tell the tale, it's a heckuva tale. It makes the hammock that much more enjoyable, too.

pak

One of the Regulars
With all due respect, it does not feel the same below -30. It feels colder. At -40 you can feel the 10 degree difference as much as 30F and 40F. Where temps feel much colder are places with high humidity like New York. 0F there must be unbearable.

wild_balls

Practically Family
Extremely low temperatures are not bad as long as the humidity Is low!
For example on the westcoast of Sweden -8 c feels the same as - 20 up north!
It's becoming Irvin weather here low!!!

Cheers Joakim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21