Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
pauleway said:
I can put up with the cold weather. You can dress for it, and just go on with your day. What I hate is the snow! You have to shovel it, drive in it, and if you have an outside job , you have to work in it. It's been snowing here in suburban Buffalo for two days none stop, and there is no relief in site. Give me a cold dry day anytime!:eusa_doh::eeek::(
Good old Buffalo, it never lets you down. I can look out my bedroom window, which faces south and is high up, and on any winter day see a massive cloud bank slowly moving westward towards the east end of Lake Erie and Buffalo.

pauleway

Practically Family
Good old Buffalo, it never lets you down. I can look out my bedroom window, which faces south and is high up, and on any winter day see a massive cloud bank slowly moving westward towards the east end of Lake Erie and Buffalo.

We get the lake effect snows from Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Can't wait for them to freeze over so this snow lightens up. Syracuse actually gets more snow per year than we do, but we seem to get all the press. No matter, we still get more than I care for, my back is aching!!:eeek:

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We get the lake effect snows from Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Can't wait for them to freeze over so this snow lightens up. Syracuse actually gets more snow per year than we do, but we seem to get all the press. No matter, we still get more than I care for, my back is aching!!:eeek:

I as well get lake effect from the southern end of Lake Michigan.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A week ago, we had single digits and below 0 F for over a week. then it warmed up into the high 40s and low 50s, everyone was running around in short sleeves! So you do, kind of get used to it.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I as well get lake effect from the southern end of Lake Michigan.
Hi

I spent a weekend in Chicago during the Winter once. The news said that the wind chill was under -100 Degrees F, but I think that they were exaggerating. It was below 0 degrees F, it was windy, and I was close to the Shedd aquarium. I was wearing an undershirt, a flannel shirt, a sweatshirt, a down vest, and a winter jacket. My CHEST was cold. Cold, wet, wind is just well, COLD.

Later

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hi

I spent a weekend in Chicago during the Winter once. The news said that the wind chill was under -100 Degrees F, but I think that they were exaggerating.

Later

The US switched the formula used to calculate wind chill around a decade ago. You don't see such big numbers anymore.

Marv

A-List Customer
Not many UK guys posting at the moment, temperatures in the UK are well above the seasonal average for this time of year and it doesn't look like we will see any snow either.

I was hoping to give my Irvin and airing this year but it's not looking promising, I am even wearing my A2 for work where as usually it would have be replaced with a G1 or N1 Deck jacket by now but alas no.

Here's hoping eh.........

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Im takin some of you guys out for some winter camping, haha...you never had frostbite before or something..haha!!!

Take it from a Guy who used to Race Downhill Giant Slalom that I LOVE the crispy cold, I was out all last night wandering the steets in a peaceful Bliss until my toes went numb and my CD player Froze. It was Minus 18 here with wind chill the other night and we got a dump of Some perfect snow. AWESOME!!!

Was an incredible hunters moon out in full last night, the night was lovely, an ideal Christmas night, Just right.

The Coyotes are always sneaking around and lurking near by like shadows in the dark forrests behind my place.

When I was a kid I would Toboggan all day and skate and ski, Winter Is good.

This is what I call Bomber jacket weather up here in the great white north...Keep me in shape removing snow, Jack frost is my old pal!

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Welp it was 9 degrees Farenheit here this morning. Not much of a wind chill. AL D-1 kept me toasty warm. Yesterday when snowblowing and shoveling I went with the full blown Carhardt uppers and overalls. They did the job.

Worf

Not many UK guys posting at the moment, temperatures in the UK are well above the seasonal average for this time of year and it doesn't look like we will see any snow either.

I was hoping to give my Irvin and airing this year but it's not looking promising, I am even wearing my A2 for work where as usually it would have be replaced with a G1 or N1 Deck jacket by now but alas no.

Funny you mention that - I bought a Pike Bros N-1 and should have it this week.
Let's face it, unless you have a sheerling lined or B-3/D-1/B-6 type coat, the leather we love is not great in cold :)

Pike Bros N-1

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

The past couple of weeks have been torture weather-wise, though at night the temperature still plunges - it's that horrible cold damp that gets into your bones - and the Irvin is getting a good airing.

pauleway

Practically Family
Let's face it, unless you have a sheerling lined or B-3/D-1/B-6 type coat, the leather we love is not great in cold :)

Pike Bros N-1

You're right about leather and the cold. I do all my snow-blowing/shoveling with my Buzz Rickson N-1 deck jacket!

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I agree 100%...when the temps plummet I grab my Buzz N-1 worn with a fleece or thick sweater while my M-422 and A-2 stay in the closet.

N-1 deck jackets are really warm. I love mine, as well. It just may be the warmest jacket/coat that I own.

- Ian

I also have a nice 50's French "N-1" that looks almost unworn coming from overseas. I might get that this week too. Will post up pics of them both when they arrive. Look to be nice and toasty :)
Heading to PA next week so they will come in handy!

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I also have a nice 50's French "N-1" that looks almost unworn coming from overseas. I might get that this week too. Will post up pics of them both when they arrive. Look to be nice and toasty :)
Heading to PA next week so they will come in handy!

Sounds great. Please, do share, if you get the chance.

- Ian

Marv

A-List Customer

Pike Bros N-1

Mine is also a Pike Brothers N1 Deck jacket but the previous version which was over thick on the wool lining (more so than originals) where as the current version that Pike Bros are selling has had the lining toned down a bit to make it a bit thinner and less bulky so more in line with the original N1.

Post some pics when you receive it as I would be interested to see how the changes look, it's a great jacket and very well made.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
-30 in Banff, Canada, 2011. That was in the town, it might have been colder up the ski hill.

We sent my son outside to look at the thermometer: He same in and said "It's minus 30". Everything laughed at him and thought he'd got it wrong, saying "Don't you mean -13?"
So i went out and checked. He was right.
I was wearing thermals, a fleece and a Lithuanian army goretex jacket with quilted lining. It was alright - as long you didn't stand still, stay outside for more than ten minutes, or try to breath in without wearing a facemask. Or expose any skin. We drank a lot of hot choclolate sitting in ski lodges that day.

Cold is when the hairs in your nostrils start to freeze up. Really cold is when your eyelashes start to freeze together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy