Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Gromulus said:
When I bought my ANJ-4 a few years back I though it would get only occasional use. It seems to have been my "go to" jacket these last two winters.
That's exactly why I have never bought an RAF shearling jacket, despite been keen on them for many years. Just like you've found, it would have been useful - not every winter, but often enough to have had no regrets on spending the big $$$.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Cold here...lows in the teens and twenties. In fact, the temperature hasn't been above freezing since Saturday and the low Thursday evening is supposed to be 11. I know that 11 isn't terribly cold for some areas...particularly those above the Mason Dixon line...but it's a bit chilly for eastern North Carolina where we try to heat our homes with air to air heat pumps.

I actually wore my beater N-3B to work today.

AF

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Cold here...lows in the teens and twenties. In fact, the temperature hasn't been above freezing since Saturday and the low Thursday evening is supposed to be 11. I know that 11 isn't terribly cold for some areas...particularly those above the Mason Dixon line...but it's a bit chilly for eastern North Carolina where we try to heat our homes with air to air heat pumps.

I actually wore my beater N-3B to work today.

AF
I never imagined it would get that cold that far south.

I was out for a walk today in -22C, but there was zero wind chill so it was quite liveable. Canadian Forces Extreme Cold Weather Parka for the win. (By the way, those are not cell phone pockets, they're magazine pockets and were sized for magazines for the old FN rifles.)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Saturday evening, the wind suddenly increased from a gentle breeze to 35 mph sustained gusting to 48 mph. By then, the actual air temperature had dropped to 22 F. Using the sustained wind speed, not the gusts, I think that calculates to a wind chill of 3 F. Cold!

Early this morning, the wind calmed back to a breeze...but now we're expecting an ice storm to begin tonight and continue into late tomorrow. The weather isn't predicted to return to something closer to normal until the weekend. Still...I know it this won't last much longer. Climatically, by the second week in March, we should begin seeing the first really noticeable effects of spring.

AF

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Welcome to late Winter in Iowa. Where the Arctic winds meet the Gulf currents. Totally up and down.
One thing is for sure is, humid cold or wet freezing.

I lived in the Cedar Rapids/Marion area of Iowa for 4 years from the beginning of 1998 until the end of 2001. The winters in Iowa are brutal. By the time, December comes (often earlier) there is snow on the ground and there it will remain until April. It seems like every day is cloudy for months. Though, it's an exaggeration, it seems like January and February don't' get above 10 degrees (most winters). When the thaw finally arrives, it's such a natural high.

One year, in early April, the sun came out and the temperature was rising above freezing that morning, and I heard the song "Here Comes The Sun." It was very apropos.

- Ian

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I lived in the Cedar Rapids/Marion area of Iowa for 4 years from the beginning of 1998 until the end of 2001. The winters in Iowa are brutal. By the time, December comes (often earlier) there is snow on the ground and there it will remain until April. It seems like every day is cloudy for months. Though, it's an exaggeration, it seems like January and February don't' get above 10 degrees (most winters). When the thaw finally arrives, it's such a natural high.

Wisconsin winters are somewhat like what you describe here. This is why I like to visit Wisconsin in the winter. Such weather is fun only if you can leave when you get tired of it.

AF

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
About 15 degrees this afternoon here on L.I..

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm taking in a little sun, while she hits the "Mountain"

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Morning temperatures have been -20C so consistently that I could set my watch by the thermometer when I wake up. I remember thinking a few years back that I would never need to buy another winter coat due to warmer winters, but the last two winters have shown just how inadequate some of my winter clothing is!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
A chilly 48F and high of only 61F today in N Texas but blue skies and no clouds. :D However, freezing wintry mix on Monday of next week. February here typically all over the board. Payback for mild winters here during the summers, sometimes extending until almost November.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
If I can remember, I'll post a photo of my truck's thermometer tomorrow morning. The predicted low at the airport is 7, but my area of the county usually runs a few degrees cooler. I'm guessing the temperature will be 2 or 3 when I leave for work tomorrow.

AF

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It was brutal here today, hit the low 60s! Got out and rode the motorcycle in the afternoon. Not to threat though, a cold front comes in tomorrow, snow for maybe the next four days.

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg image.jpg
NY harbor and the Hudson River have been getting lots of ice; today we have a temp of 3 F (-18 with the wind chill). I wish I had a M-444 or AN-J-4 this morning!

Gromulus

Practically Family
The air (not wind chill) temperature is -18 F (-28 C) as I leave for work this morning wearing my (usual garb as of late) ANJ-4 and Wigens cap with ear flaps.

This is getting old. I can't wait for this winter to be over.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ That's hilarious, I thought you were going to use an actual thermometer. I wish I'd taken a photo of ours this morning: -24C, the coldest this season.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
As a funny side note, that those of you in cold climates will understand. It has been in the 50s the last couple of days, and after the single digit temps, it is amazing how quick most of us shed our coats! I even saw quite a few men in shorts, and women in dresses. The body does adjust to cold.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
February can be all over the board for N Central Texas, and has this month with highs in the upper 70's but going the other way tonight and tomorrow with a winter storm warning beginning in the morning. I understand this "Siberian Express" will result in bitter cold in the Northeast that will threaten previous records, as if you guys in the NE haven't already been hammered enough. :smow: It takes very little icing to paralyze us here in N Texas though as Bubba will drive his pickup truck 70 mph on solid ice. :eeek: In Dallas, we have a fantastic light rail system that becomes mostly dysfunctional with icing on the wires above (almost all of the rail is above ground). Hopefully this will all be for naught in the morning but feel the pain for what you guys the midwest and northeast will continue to experience.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We got it last night! Suppose to snow until Monday afternoon. While no where near as much as you poor souls in the North East, it is the wet snow here! Usually, I can go down to the bottom driveway with one shovel full, this time it was a foot at a time. Real snow scooping. Plus, it sticks to the shovel, so you have to hit the backside every other scoop. This is late March snow, not powder February snow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24