Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Football!

S

Samsa

carebear said:
Just looked at the "Michiganders" thread.

Nice to know they'll have a big support group after the Buckeyes spank 'em silly come Saturday. lol

I'm a Michigander, but I will certainly be hoping Ohio State wins. (I went to Michigan State, and my Dad went to Ohio State, so I've been brainwashed ever since I was a child....)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Samsa said:
I'm a Michigander, but I will certainly be hoping Ohio State wins. (I went to Michigan State, and my Dad went to Ohio State, so I've been brainwashed ever since I was a child....)

I really don't care about college ball (growing up up here I got no dog in the fight) but a young lady of my acquaintance once used "positive conditioning" to turn me into a Buckeye fan. lol

panamag8or

Practically Family
I was thinking OSU would win, but with Schembeckler's death today, I think Michigan comes out on a mission, and wins it for Bo.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
NOTRE DAME update

IRISH defeat Army.

USC next, and Southern Cal is not a service academy horse team.
A must win for optimum bowl bid.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I'm sorry to see the Service academies have less than stellar teams. There's SO much tradition there, and those guys really play for the love of it, as most will not go on to the NFL afterwards. Roger Staubach and Napoleon McCallum were simply outstanding men. The same goes for David Robinson in that other sport.

Hoping for a win over Arkansas this weekend to be in line for a possible BCS "at-large" bid.:eek:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Academy Football

RedPop4 said:
I'm sorry to see the Service academies have less than stellar teams. There's SO much tradition there, and those guys really play for the love of it, as most will not go on to the NFL afterwards. Roger Staubach and Napoleon McCallum were simply outstanding men. bid.:eek:

Agreed. The halcyon 1940s era when Army was so dominant,
however, was an anomaly of sorts which owed more to WWII than
tradition typically allows. Red Blaik's teams were really the last academy
hurrah and it can be reasonably argued that today Division I is too high an
echelon for cadet/midshipman play.

Honduran

New in Town
If only there were playoffs!

While I love the debates that rage over the latest BCS rankings, and all the speculation about whose playing whom in what Bowl, surely it's time for a playoff format? Top eight teams (or conference champions plus at large teams) playoff in the 4 major Bowls on New Year's Day (or they used to be on New Year's Day): Pac-10 versus Big 10 in the Rose Bowl; Big 12 versus "at large" in Fiesta; SEC versus "at large" in the Sugar: ACC versus Big East in the Orange. Winners playoff and a champion is decided the week prior to the Super Bowl, as that weekend is now idle.

Split the proceeds from the two extra games (TV money would be huge) between all Division 1 schools. Participants have already scored from their New Year's Bowl appearances, so they're playing for the National Championship, and not some financial windfall for the school.

I know I'm dreaming, so I guess USC versus Ohio State will have to do!

RedPop4

One Too Many
Honduran,
Div. I-AA does a playoff with the top 16 teams. If schools this size or smaller, Div. II and III can travel, all over on a week's notice ,there's no reason Division I-A can NOT have a playoff. These other divisions are in playoffs, or will be by this weekend, and they'll play in and around finals.

D.I-A does it a month AFTER finals. There's no reason at all for there not to be a playoff. Someone will always be upset at rankings and what have you. If you want to rotate the bowls, etc, so as not to lose that, so be it,

Honduran

New in Town
ND?

Hey Harp - as much as I admire the history and spirit of Notre Dame football, I'm just not sold on Brady Quinn. I think Pete Carroll will devise a strategy to get inside his head and put him through the spin cycle. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer!

Bryan

Harp

I'll Lock Up
NOTRE DAME update

IRISH meet USC Trojans today, 7.00CST; catch game radio
broadcast on Chicago's flamethrower station, WLS 89*AM.
The Game of the Season

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
This is my kind of football!
howtoplayfootball.jpg

lloydfreshman.jpg

The characters are fictional, and you're only rooting for them, not the team, or whatever you call it. I don't watch football, what am I doing here....:p

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I watch a little college football. I wore my Miller "Baldwin" to the N.C. State-Carolina game last week on a chilly afternoon in Chapel Hill. I'm listening to the Duke-Carolina game right now.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Bet

Honduran said:
Hey Harp - as much as I admire the history and spirit of Notre Dame football, I'm just not sold on Brady Quinn. I think Pete Carroll will devise a strategy to get inside his head and put him through the spin cycle. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer!

Bryan

Make that Miller Lite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo