Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conditioning/ Softening Vintage Goatskin Jacket?

I came across an old goatskin jacket that might just work out. It's from the late 30s/early 40s so it's probably a bit stiff. Is there any hope of softening it up?
Thanks for the advice!

Skyhawk

Vendor
Yes! I have conditioned countless vintage goatskin jackets. I have gone through quite a few different products and have ended up finding a couple that are excellent. The best I have found for deep conditioning and softening is Renapur Leather Balm. I found it superior to Pecard's, with no petrol products and much less residue.

Apply and let sit for 12-24 hours. Then wipe off with a lint free cloth. After conditioning, the leather will soften and re-break in with wear. It is available at Amazon. The cheapest source I have found:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5q64gbm79c_e

Peacoat

Bartender
As long as the leather hasn't started to crack, a good conditioner will probably soften it some. I will hold off on recommending a conditioner as you didn't ask and I don't want to get the great conditioner debate started again . . . and again.

Skyhawk: I looked into Renapur. At $77.32 plus $5.69 shipping for 6.7 oz. I think I will stick with Pecard and a few others I have used with good results over the years.

Technonut

Practically Family
Skyhawk: I looked into Renapur. At $77.32 plus $5.69 shipping for 6.7 oz. I think I will stick with Pecard and a few others I have used with good results over the years.

:eek::eek: And to think I thought spending $22.00 for a 16oz bottle of Leather Therapy Conditioner was extravagant...;)

I've gone through my share of goatskin jackets over the years, and used either Pecards or Lexol on those (and all of my other leather goods). I heard good things about Leather Therapy Conditioner with it's added mold inhibitor, and gave it a try.

It goes on easier than Pecards, and seems to do just as good of a job. I have some boots that develop a light film of mold over them once in awhile when unused, and after applying the Leather Therapy to them a few weeks ago, so far so good. More time will be needed to know how well it's working for certain though.

It did condition my G&B M422-A goatskin quite well. Better than Lexol, and perhaps slightly better than Pecards..

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Let us know what works. Surely any leather can soften up as long as it isn't too damaged/cracked. I would use anything except natural products that in my experience can go rancid. There's a reason Vaseline, Pecards and Lexol are made to be pH neutral.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
I guess my main concern was "is goatskin different than cow or horse?"
I know HD recommended cold water over hot water to set the collar once, and it was a great call. I wasn't sure if I need something different or special for goat. The Renapur sounds great Skyhawk! I might just take a chance on this jacket knowing if it is a bit stiff there is hope.
Thanks again!

Skyhawk

Vendor
Thanks guys!
I know HD recommended cold water over hot water to set the collar once, and it was a great call. I wasn't sure if I need something different or special for goat. The Renapur sounds great Skyhawk! I might just take a chance on this jacket knowing if it is a bit stiff there is hope.
Thanks again!
Yep, check it out! There are different sizes. The 6.5 oz size is selling for $25 on Amazon right now. It lasts a long time, a little goes a long way. I picked up a 8.5 oz. I've done about 5 jackets out of the jar so far and it's only about 1/4 gone. Here's the listing:
http://www.amazon.com/Renapur-Leath...e=UTF8&qid=1452990650&sr=8-1&keywords=renapur

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Thanks guys!
Thanks again!

Goat doesn’t absorb most conditioners as readily as other leathers. It doesn’t absorb water as readily either of course. Maybe Renapur penetrates it better? Never tried it myself. I have heard good things about it over the years though.

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
I am now using Vaseline. There are numerous other propriety dressings that work well but now I can avoid those hydrocarbon odours that seem to take at least a month minimum to get rid of.

I DO plan to wear it.
The thread looks fine in the photos which is all I have at the moment.
The brass zipper has some green on it which is why I think it might be a bit stiff. (moisture)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I used Renapur on goat - Pecards works identically. I find Lexol best on goat. It's a milky liquid and goes right in without greasy after affects.

John Lever

One Too Many
I would try Gliptone as recommended for leather seats in vintage cars. It soaks in completely and does not leave a greasy film or any white deposit on drying. Recently I used it with a friend on a very old dry original Irvin that looked like an old dried tea bag. 30 minutes later it was utterly transformed it seemed to drink it in and come back to life and flexibility. It smells good too.

Peacoat

Bartender
Some of the guys down under (Smithy for one) swear by RM Williams. It's been around for a long time and I have never heard anything negative about it. I plan to give it a go one of these days.

Skyhawk

Vendor
Gliptone is excellent as well. It has a newly tanned leather jacket scent added though so I only use it mainly when I'm conditioning cow hide. Also I have noted that the leather seems to dry out again quicker than if Renapur or Pecard is used. So I use Gliptone when a light conditioning is needed mostly on cow hide or horse hide. It tends to cover up that sweet rich smell of vintage goatskin, so if you like that smell I would recommend Renapur.

Guys, Thanks for all the great advice!
I passed on the jacket though...too many scratches and...white paint on the sleeve :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes