Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering a custom fed

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
After months of saving up money (I was literally saving my pennies :p ) I finally have enough to order a custom fed. After looking at some old threads I have a fondness for Matt Deckard's graphite Optimo. I am curious as to how they hold up in the long run. Every fedora must taper eventually but what I want to know is how the Optimos hold up in the long run. Do they taper bad the first rain they are caught in or do they hold up for a while? Do they reblock nicely? How about it folks.....show off your Optimos!! (old and new)

I am also interested in Art's beautiful fedoras. I have heard nothing but praise from his happy customers.

Then of course there is the AB and AB Deluxe line..........

....perhaps I need to save more pennies.......lol

Lady Blue

Familiar Face
Gladly!

I always love a good opportunity to show off my Optimo!
DSCF1142.jpg

DSCF1143.jpg

Color is Clove (of their limited edition lightweight felts for 2007), 2 1/4" brim, black ribbon.
I haven't had it long-2-3 weeks now. But its excellent. The quality is superb and Graham really knows his stuff. And hes a great guy to work with on top of it all. You will not be disappointed.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Lady Blue, Thanks for the pics. That is a mighty fine fed that you have there.

WEEGEE, Now you've gone and done it! I was fairly certain that I was going to go with Optimo but looking at the pictures in the thread you posted has me rethinking my decision.

I have a rabbit AB from Steve but I hear that the Deluxe is superb....

I am going to need more pictures to decide......hint hint...more pictures please :D

mingoslim

Practically Family
Does Optimo of Chicago do Mail Order?

Does Optimo do mail order? On-line? I see nothing about it on the web-site I have for them . . .

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Jimmy Pierce Designs has also been getting good reviews from the Indiana Jones hat crowd, althoug he does custom hats for a reasonable price. $125 for rabbit felt, $275 for beaver felt.

Jimmy Pierce Designs

Has there been any news of weather or not Optimo's pre-blocking technique prolongs the block before tapering sets in? I remember Zohar posted something about that a year or so ago...

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have no experience with Optimo, but my Avatar can attest to Art's great work. I've also become a fan of JP's work recently, and I know both AB's are great. It's all about what you want in a hat, from my POV. You want a beaver Indy hat, go AB. You want a rabbit Indy or non-Indy, call JP. Beaver non-Indy, it's Art all the way.

Happy Decision Making!
NB

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well it depends!!

Optimo has rabbit blends and also pure beaver. One of my rabbit blend Optimos shrunk and tapered really bad and Andykev's did also. I also have another Optimo that has never shrunk or tapered, but I don't take any chances and I only wear it when it is dry. It is the one pictured in my Avatar. If you go with 100% beaver the taper will be minimal. Keep in mind Optimo does great work but they are also a brick and mortar store, hence a higher price. Art ONLY uses 100% beaver and has a lower overhead, hence a lower price.

fedoralover

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Prize

For the first use of the term "fed" to describe a fedora! :)
I thought you were looking for a custom Akbra Federation, which had me head scratching...

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all of the comments! It helps and is appreciated. I am still on the fence but I bet a few more pictures will push me over the edge...(hint...hint..)

I should REALLY stop buying fedoras as I have purchased four in the last month alone. I still want a custom and that extra money won't go unspent for much longer unless I buy one...:rolleyes:

Scotrace, sorry for the confusion. I have heard a fedora called a "fed" a few times before and it seemed to stick.....I am glad that I got first prize though...:D ...oh, and thanks for the welcome!

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
SHARPERTOYS, that is one AMAZING lid. :eusa_clap The color is beautiful and the style is just what I am looking for. You guys sure aren't making this easy. :rolleyes: Now I want an Optimo and an Art Fawcett! lol I shall have to ponder this some more and wait a little bit longer. Matt Deckard said that he might chime in with his Optimo and I think I will wait for that. Thanks to all who posted and gave their advice........I will gladly take more if it is offered. :D

Regards,
Hollis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner