Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering the current European climate what are you wearing?

Jules

New in Town
I have seen a few posts asking what jackets are suitable in colder conditions ,now the mercury in europe has dropped Im wondering what people are actually wearing for the cold, obviously anyone anywhere cold is invited to answer .
Currently its minus 12 degrees centigrade where I am during the day so im wearing a set of ullfrotte thermal trousers under jeans a Tshirt and shirt and my Eastman BOB Irvin with a bomber hat and of course insulated shoes and gloves but no scarf .
I also wore my Eastman B3 too a couple of days ago when it was slightly colder and was equally warm.

Jules

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been wearing an original Irvin over a jumper and shirt. The A2s have not seen the light of day for several weeks now.

Flicka

One Too Many
Is it unusually cold? [huh] Not here; anything down to about -25 degrees Celsius is just standard Swedish winter. I would actually call most of this winter unusually mild. Last year we were covered in snow from late Oct to early April...

Anyway, I wear a wool coat with an extra wool cardi under, my faux-fur ushenka (thank you, Edward, for teaching me a new word!) and knitted gloves. Also a scarf or faux-fur collar. I also wear fur lined boots and a pair of tights over my ordinary stockings outside. If I wear thinner boots, I add a pair of woolly socks. That's absolutely enough to keep me warm and snug!

In my experience, a hat and scarf are essential in keeping warm. You leak plenty of heat from head and neck. Gloves are less important because you can always put your hands in your pockets. And a thinner jacket can be made up for with an extra layer underneath. So - hat, scarf, layers!

Flicka

One Too Many
Just had to add this picture of two men shoveling snow in Gothenburg in 1940 which was one of the colder winters we've had:

4045738320.jpg

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Fantastic photo ^

It's not unusually cold but it does seem to be extending quite far south at the moment. Snow down in Rome for example. I've been toasty enough wearing a thick submariner jumper over an Aero Stuart with just cotton lining (plus a layer of thermal undergarments!)

58FURY

Familiar Face
Flicka.....I'm currently in Uppsala, on a training course...

A beautiful place..... but is Sweden always this cold?

:)

I'm off to check out the Cathedral now.

Lee.
UK.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
A house with central heating is working for me :D

(A US Navy Peacoat with wool jumper under it and a scarf suffices if I have to venture into the big cold room with the awfully high ceiling, though.)

Flicka

One Too Many
Flicka.....I'm currently in Uppsala, on a training course...

A beautiful place..... but is Sweden always this cold?

Not in the summer. ;)

No, seriously, it's not. It can veer between +5 and -25. For Stockholm/Uppsala, I'd say -5 to -10 is the standard temperature this time of year, but in northern Sweden, it's a lot colder, especially inland (when I think of that my ancestors lived there in tents made of reindeer hide, I'm so glad for central heating). January and February are typically the coldest months.

I haven't been to the cathedral for years. Say hi to it from me. :)

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Not the best picture as taken by the good lady wife on her mobile(cell) phone, taken earlier this week in a fairly snowy and somewhat cold Derbyshire;
jk83t2.jpg

Wearing a Swedish leather 'watch' coat with fur collar not sure of date as no makers marks save a 2 size patch on inside rear collar area, it was ok to walk to venue but on return it was a little too warm as it is blanket lined, so only for the coldest of days this one!

Jules

New in Town
Ive just got back from dealing with the infestation of kids the seem to inhabit my house by shoveling them outside,I checked the temperature and its actually "only" minus 9C. I wore jeans , shirt and light sweater with a shearling lined higwayman,hat gloves and scarf and was a little chilly, should have worn thermals but I was in a hurry.
For all you european cold weather dwellers the soft shandy drinking other europeans are not used to this kind of weather me included.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
After the last few winters we have had this seems wierd but the other day I was out in shirt sleeves with just a t shirt underneath, normal cotton trousers and trainers it only seems to be getting a bit nippy at night at the moment down here.

The winter sun has had some warmth in it recently to the point were the RAF were out playing with thier tornados against what looked like either a mig or sukhoi all at rooftop level, we have been having better weather that we managed in the summer.

MikePotts

Practically Family
I'm obviously becoming soft..........it's right about the freezing mark here in Central Texas but with some very unusual (for us) snow & sleet.
I walked the dogs wearing jeans with overtrousers, a Barbour Gamefair over a 'Husky' quilted jacket over a wool sweater over a tattersall 'Viyella' shirt over a 'military' T-shirt and Cabela's Gore-Tex boots .....AND I WAS STILL COLD!

MP

D

Deleted member 16736

In Florida, I'm wearing a t-shirt and Levi's Type I repro denim jacket. Kept me surprisingly warm this morning on my walk.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Ha! I'm in the UK theseadiase and while last Saturday night it was -12 in parts, its back to the tropical + grades. I live in the Fens though, so the airs here are a wee bit different. And yes, there was a couple days of some dandruff on the ground. In any case, daily to work a (shudder) Calvin Klein black microfiber mac, a woolen watch cap though today it was in the pocket.. In the evenings a M43 field jacket replica and/or on rainy days a M65 fishtail outer shell... No need to really dig a "winter jacket" out, rather than avoid the damp.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Cold, humidly cold, misty, wet, miserable, soggy, Portland Oregon. I've been wearin' me goose-down puffy coat today. Sorry to disappoint. This time of year in Portland reminds me of England, at least when I lived there twenty years ago.

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'm in the Geneva region, have been wearing an N3B parka and a B-3 jacket a lot lately, today back to an A-2 with an oilskin overcoat. It was a bit on a cool side before, not really cold, about -10 to -15, more of hassle with cars and trying to keep an old house warm... Now no problems, +5 or so, we'll be barbecuing soon outside.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Mostly been wearing a B3, Irvin, B15-C or B15-C MOD these last few weeks ,along with various knitwear. Out in a collar, tie, blazer and long wool overcoat today. I think the flying jacket and knitwear could be back next week, though: After a mild week, it's predicted to get cold again here this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner