Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coronavirus: What Vintage Skills Can Help Prepare for a Potential Pandemic?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Vinegar is a good cleaner and general sanitizer but is not effective against this virus. Its envelope appears to be a lipid (fat) so you need to either dissolve or oxidize that envelope to destroy the virus. Soaps, detergents and bleach will do that, vinegar does not.
I just read that in an article...shocking but true....

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
It'll be interesting to see what, if any of the current changes stick after this. I'm considering wearing a mask *more* outswdie when it's all over, as the very significant drop-off in traffic in thispart of London sicne the lockdown has led to a surprisingly but undeniably perceptible improvement in air quality. I'm not hopeful that any of the positive changes we're seeing now in relartion to fighting the virus, less traffic and whatever will make a blind bit of difference once it's all over - at least not in a culture largely focussed on the demands of the individual.
Well stated (as always). This virus ordeal might improve many social issues in many places, let us hope that such is the outcome.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
My wife broke out her sewing machine today and sewed us some lovely masks. :)
I bought some seeds and have planted tomatoes, basil, and peppers in pots on the patio. This was a tradition every spring/summer when the kids were small, but we stopped doing it when they left for university. It’s kind of fun to be doing it again.
Mixing cocktails is also something that we once did and now are rediscovering. Something classic about having an old school mixed drink on the deck as the sun sinks.
Cooking together has always been a joy for us, so now we are trying some new recipes while listening to a forties playlist.
So, yes, I guess some vintage “skills” are making this a tad more bearable.
Wow that is super nice...I was fortunate enough to have a mask from my last visit to my Doctor's office many months ago.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I dance...put Chick Webb or Benny or Duke whatever else and dance. It raises immunity and I feel strong
Well good for you, next time, when we are finally allowed to venture out, I shall remember you once we are back on the dance floor.
shake and stir tango.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Well good for you, next time, when we are finally allowed to venture out, I shall remember you once we are back on the dance floor.
View attachment 224397
GHT:
You should repost that video of you and your lovely wife WOWing all those young folks, dancing like in the movies. Talk about showing how it’s done!!
I hope you recall which one i’m referring .
B

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Vinegar works as well as anything to sanitize and kill germs....

While in the service I recall vinegar was recommended to ward off malaria and assorted swamp fever,
an elixir once drunk by Francis Marion, the famed Swamp Fox of the American Revolution.
The Brits recommended not swimming or bathing in the jungle, allowing a crust to form over which shielded
mosquitoes and other skeeter bites, endometriosis and a lot of other bad s..t.
But I doubt that vino would stave off this particular bug.:(

GHT

I'll Lock Up
GHT:
You should repost that video of you and your lovely wife WOWing all those young folks, dancing like in the movies. Talk about showing how it’s done!!
I hope you recall which one i’m referring .
B
Now THAT is how you do it...fantastic I know you had a blast!
What a couple of generous compliments, thank you, both of you.
Have you ever heard Louis Prima's version of Buona Sera Signorina? It starts of with a very Latin type of Staccato rhythm, which we dance an Argentine Tango to, then the rhythm changes to a fast four beat, perfect for swing jive, then it cuts back to Tango and finally a few more seconds of Rock & Roll. It's a particular favourite of ours, when we were younger, before joint replacements, we used to break from The Tango straight into an energetic gymnastic lift as we started to jive. I never got tired of hearing the "Oooooh!" It was certainly an attention grabber.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
This weekend I am having some friends and family stop over to do some canning so they can be more stocked up on food supply...of course some folks here will call me a murderer for all that..but hey that might offend some here, of course they can offend me all they want, I am a Patriot and they are a politically correct mess. I got used to that years ago when learning combat shooting skills on a course with my late husband. We used to talk about some people need a safe place and crayons to function...sad...real sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko