Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correspondence - Find a Pen Pal

Adele

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
If there are people who are serious about starting it up again, Id be game :)

LD

I did not know if you were speaking of your pen pals only or of the idea in general, but if it was the latter, I'm still definitely up for it!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This "pen pal project" has been very worthwhile. While it does take a bit of discipline to write on a regular basis, it is worth the effort. From all the people "assigned" to me from the two or three lists that have circulated since this thread began over two years ago, one individual still corresponds with me on a regular basis.

I always enjoy sending and receiving a letter. And what makes this so special is the fact that due to geography, age difference, and to a degree, culture, I would never have had the opportunity to make this "friendship" outside of this pen pal project.

I would encourage everyone who has shown an interest in this project to write to those on your list. Even if you have to "make yourself" write, then do it - after a while it becomes easy and something you look forward to doing. And, even when your pen pal sometimes gets "delinquent" in writing back ;) keep on writing to them. Like I said, it's worth the effort.

Idledame

Practically Family
I enjoy writing letters, but no one else I know likes it. My best friend and I used to write each other letters when we were bored at work, and then exchange them when we got together after work. Add me to the list please. I didn't read the whole thread...does someone pick names out of a hat orwhat is the procedure? I hope we're assigned someone totally random.

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I have only read 4 pages of this thread , so i have some catching up to do.

I think it is a great idea. i'd love to have more than bills and junck mail in my post box.

I do WWII reenacting and I always look forward to mail call I have a small collection of letters from home. Sometimes I get packages from home as well.
I always share the contents with my komerades.

i'll do some catching up, how many posts have I made so far? and join the fun very soon

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Vintage Pen Friend

I've recently rediscovered the joys of writing with a fountain pen but aside from research notes I don't have much call to use the skill.

Having also enjoyed some of the collection of correspondance of Abraham Lincoln, Michael Faraday, C.S. Lewis, Tolkein and others, the thought occurred to me that a pen friend would be a good opportunity to use my handwriting ability and to make a new friend at the same time.

So my question, does anyone know somewhere where I can find a pen friend, or maybe even know someone that might be interested? Someone who was interested in the Golden Era and things Fedora Lounge would be an added bonus.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks,

EB

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Fellow fountain pen collector & user here. Not sure about handwriting everything, but quite happy to chat on instant messenger about the 'Golden Era'. I love history.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Ethan Bentley said:
I've recently rediscovered the joys of writing with a fountain pen but aside from research notes I don't have much call to use the skill.

Having also enjoyed some of the collection of correspondance of Abraham Lincoln, Michael Faraday, C.S. Lewis, Tolkein and others, the thought occurred to me that a pen friend would be a good opportunity to use my handwriting ability and to make a new friend at the same time.

So my question, does anyone know somewhere where I can find a pen friend, or maybe even know someone that might be interested? Someone who was interested in the Golden Era and things Fedora Lounge would be an added bonus.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks,

EB

"Surely there must be a few "Gentleman Cat Burglars" doing time in Wormwood Scrubs who must be positively aching to put "Nib to parchment?"

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Well, I too am a "fountian pen snob" and might be interested in sending some letters back & forth. My handwriting is nice, but practice is always a good thing!

Another place you can really get in touch with people is the Fountain Pen Network. ( http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showforum=32 ) Here is a link to the forum you are looking for. We have a lot of members who pen-pal back and forth.

If you want to exchange, drop me a PM... I have never done it via paper & pen before, but I seem to quite often have friends all over the world via e-mail. ;)

It will give me a good excuse to buy some nice paper! lol

PS, I almost forgot, they have a pretty good post card exchange going on too.

V

Violeta

What a wonderful idea! There's nothing better than the exctiement and anticipation of expecting a letter, and writing back is even better, to be able to see the reaction of the recievers face when they recieved something you created just for them would be a dream....sigh.....how romantic. I actually have stationary that I collect "incase" I ever meet someone who enjoys writing. No one writes any more, it's all emails now. It's kinda sad. There's no sentiment with emails, you can't keep an email for years and look back at it for nostalgia (well you can, but it's not the same, nothing beats an actual physical letter, or as I see it, a record of a time in your life that brings back memories.......sigh :p so how do I get this rolling? Is there a list? I'm in!
If any one can tell me how to get started I would appreciate it. Thanks much!

The isolated recluse in me would love to get in on this, but the paranoid professional is unsure about name and address being released willy-nilly without proper vetting and clearancing (the way I guard my secrets makes the Pentagon look wide open--I did say 'paranoid', didn't I?lol), even among members of the same board--along with the fact that my handwriting makes "atrocious" look good...:eek: :eek:

John Boyer

A-List Customer
I would be interested in writing and receiving personal correspondence. I have not yet, however, mastered the fountain pen and my penmanship is probably as bad as Mr. Diamondback's, or worse. John

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Violeta said:
Hmmm....so is there a list? Or am I too late???

There was a list compiled at one time. I've been corresponding regularly with one of my pen pals, and on and off with another, for a couple years now. It is really nice to write and receive a letter every so often, and looking in the mail to see if a letter has arrived is part of the fun.

I would be glad to exchange letters with anyone interested. Drop me a PM with your contact information if you would like, and I promise I'll write back.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Ive just found this post!
Id love to write to anyone who wants?
I had a few pen pals when i was in the Army, its lovely getting letters as aoposed to bills! and being privlaged to get glimses of how others lives are...
Pm me with your address and ill gladly send a letter in the post! :eusa_clap

Djupis

One of the Regulars
This sounds interesting! But I can't help feeling that I would be awful bad at replying or that I wouldn't have anything to say [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24