Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

country fedora

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
Dear All,

Although on the other side of the ocean for much of you I enjoy this forum very much!
I'm a bit of an Akubra fan, and like to wear their outdoor hats whenever I can, though I try to avoid a "cowboy" look.
However, I've decided it's time to project a little more "country chic", and also that I'm ready for an open crowned hat.
I'd like to be able to wear it to work (as a country doctor).
I'm usually dressed sort of casual, though in a neat kind of way, with a tie + vest + sportsjacket + leather jacket as outerwear (can I call this the Indiana Sunday style?).
Now, what would your advice be?
I'm thinking about an Akubra Squatter or a Federation, but then, what colour?
Brown is a bit too Indy for me. Dark gray may be suitable, but especially the Federation seems a bit sombre. Tawny fawn? My other hats are fawn, so perhaps something different would be nice. Moonstone is a really nice colour but would it be too vulnerable and perhaps a bit too much citylike?
And how about the hat itself? A Squatter seems really suitable, but I do not have a big face, so I'm afraid it's too wide brimmed. On the other hand, is a Federation "country style" enough?
Problems, problems... I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

art92101

One of the Regulars
look in your closet

I would take a look at the clothes that you generally wear for business and figure out what color hat wears with your wardrobe.
I love my brown hats. my wardrobe is largely earth tones from khaki to olives and browns so picking the brown hat is pretty easy/ also brown is a neutral colors it goes with all. Lastly, a dark brown looks a bit more formal for the evenings. that's my 2 cents. Enjoy your hat!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like you are looking for a new hat, but the subject of this post immediately made me think of this old ad:

stetson_playboy.jpg

The hat is a Stetson Playboy and the fellow here has the look you seem to be describing (albeit with a trench coat instead of a leather jacket - how do you work a leather jacket over a sportscoat anyway?).

I love that you're a country doctor. Do you perform housecalls? Better yet, homebirths? There aren't enough country professionals anymore. My fondest desire is to be a country lawyer - ala Paul Biegler in Anatomy of a Murder.

-Dave

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
David Conwill said:
... My fondest desire is to be a country lawyer - ala Paul Biegler in Anatomy of a Murder.

"Just a country lawyer" describes the late U.S. Senator Sam J. Ervin, Jr. (who was from my home town).

Rick Blaine

AlanC said:
If you want the 'country' look, go thin ribbon. Listen to RBH above.

What Alan (& RBH) said. The thin ribbon is the classic "country/rural" look. The Campdraft is a super hat, but the brim, at almost 3", may be wider than you prefer, though I think it'd grow on you as it has on me. Other than that a vintage OR clone w/ a shorter brim from eBay might better suit you, they come up frequently.

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
Sounds like you are looking for a new hat, but the subject of this post immediately made me think of this old ad:

stetson_playboy.jpg

The hat is a Stetson Playboy and the fellow here has the look you seem to be describing (albeit with a trench coat instead of a leather jacket - how do you work a leather jacket over a sportscoat anyway?).

I love that you're a country doctor. Do you perform housecalls? Better yet, homebirths? There aren't enough country professionals anymore. My fondest desire is to be a country lawyer - ala Paul Biegler in Anatomy of a Murder.

-Dave

Great picture!
Indeed, I do perform housecalls. There's nothing like a good housecall at 4 in the morning at a cold farmhouse, that's real medicine for you, no kidding! Being indoors all day in a hospital (however warm and comfortable it may be) would not suit me.
As for the jacket: I take the sportscoat off and wear the leather jacket over shirt and vest when going out on my rounds.

Big Man

I can remember when doctors used to make house calls here. "Old Dr. Walton" was one of the local "country doctors" who used to visit when we were sick as children. He was an old man in the late 1950's. I remember him always wearing a dark suit (three piece) and had a large gold pocket watch. He also had funny little wire-rimed glasses he wore low on his nose (funny what you remember as a child). I believe he wore a rather nondescript grey felt fedora hat. Most of all I remember his cure for just about everything was a shot of penicillin. Needless to say, we did not like to see the doctor come (because it always meant getting a shot). :eek:

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I agree...Thin ribbon all the way...

A Campdraft would be perfect.
We had an old Cuban doc come by the house when I was a kid. I think he charged $10 a visit...didn't speak much english...but he always had a cure.
Very old world...

KY Gentleman

One Too Many

MAB1

Suspended
I think that the ribbon width has to do with illusion.

If a hat looks too tall a wider ribbon shortens the crown.

If you want it to look real tall... quarter inch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy