Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

seabass

Call Me a Cab
GOT SHARK ?
232323232%7Ffp635%3C2%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3555%3A3836634%3Bnu0mrj
:cool:
late 70's Bob's Boots left & center & right Cow-town early 90's

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
LUCKY INDEED ! & probably saved a few $$$ & no 6+ month wait...
did you have em on the pegs riding home probably slippery but the shark will shift with no scratches huh... highway no stop & go i would...

They were a bit cheaper but not a whole lot. I had Spider send them back to the house as those smooth soles were not really what I wanted to ride with.

I had some boots with me that had mini-lugged soles for riding that were made by a bootmaker that used to work for Paul Bond a few years earlier. When I bought them they were located in Las Vegas. They have since moved back to Nogales, AZ. http://davidsww.com/

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Man there are some real nice boots on this thread! I have a sort of Boot Tale I would like to share.

Some years back My wife and daughter decide to do a "Girl Trip" for about a week out to the state of Washington...their goal was to do "High Tea" at the Empress Hotel in British Columbia. "Hmmm they are going to be gone for 10 days" I thought "What can Wilbur do?" "Ride my Harley across country"!!!! "Goal in Mind?" Paul Bond Boot Company in Nogales, AZ!!!! Yea I can do that!

I left Chattanooga, TN went down through the deep southern route and ended up in Nogales and damned if I didn't find a pair of Sharkskin boots that fit spot on! Made the trip perfect!

I think this guys name was "Spider" he was managing the floor of the shop.

This was the Man that made my boots just way cool!!

Since we are on a Western Theme, My Horse in front of the Tom Mix Memorial
IMG_4225.jpg

That's a twofer: attractive boots AND and attractive Harley color scheme. Forgive me, but I rarely am attracted to Harleys, but the black over maroon reminds me of an Indian in my past, and of course, the Royal Livery--the Queen's new Bentley is the same scheme).

Great tale of solo daring do! I had similar luck at the Lucchese factory shop (the big one just outside main ElPaso Airport gate)with chocolate stingrays. They even stretched my left instep while I waited.

My only cowboy boots adapted for bike riding (Victory Hammer S, not the BMW K1200 GT) is a pair of Flaming Youths by Tres Outlaws; they run about $1200, but I ran across them online at a store that was closing them out ($750). Two months later they were still closing them out, so I offered them $450 and they took it! I've worn them a couple of times after getting them back from Tres to have neoprene half-soles hitched up. They did a fine job--can't tell from profile that they are rubber. They really are handsome even though they look outrageous at first.

16275733-md.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm going to give you my usual advise: check eBay.
I've bought five pairs of boots there, one deadstock, four that I put more wear on in the first day than they've had in their entire life prior. So all in excellent condition. And all of them, even the deadstock snakeskin pair and the tried-on-once-or-twice lizard pair were less than those.

So the ones from sheplers are probably okay, but at that price point, if you look around, you can do way better.

TipTop

Practically Family
I realize every cowboy's got to start somewhere, but are boots like these just junk, or are they pretty decent for the price?

http://www.sheplers.com/Brands/Old-...Boots-medium-toe/pc/447/c/316/sc/317/3883.pro

Is it much more worth saving up for a pair of custom made boots or a more expensive one? What if the purpose is actual trail-use rather than fashion or dress?

That is a Chinese boot that, as long as it fits, will be good for a couple nights of line dancing. Otherwise, you'd better raise your sights. Just think of what a decent pair of shoes costs, and add 35% to cover the extra leather and labor. Most of the run-of-the-Rio-Grande Mexican boots are a couple hundred dollars to $400 retail for non-exotics. Sheplers carries some better brands but their prices are most competitive when on sale.

You don't need custom fit unless you have really odd feet. And even then, if you wear regular (non-custom) shoes, you will be OK in boots. What you need to do is find some place to try on various brands to feel how they are cut. A high instep (as I have--the highest part of your foot, in front of your ankle) is the biggest hurdle--both getting them on and having them comfortable once in there. You should not struggle to get a boot on; proper fit will allow your heel to sink into place (as you rise to seat it) with a thunk. That thunk means the instep is grabbing you properly and your heel will slip a bit as they break in. And as always, buy to fit your BIGGER foot. I'm a full 1/2+ large on my left; I'm told most people have a larger right foot. I don't know if that's true but width and length (your toes should not be crunched together) and the ball of your foot should hit the widest part of the boot without hanging over the welt; these are the primary concerns after getting your instep and heel seated properly.

As for used boots, that's a real gamble unless you know the maker's last and how it grabs you. Most people feel Lucchese Classics are accommodating to high insteps, and may even feel large on narrower feet; but you need to wear them to find out. Many of the barely-worn boots on e-Prey are there because they aren't comfortable--because the owner's feet spread over time (they all do) or they didn't fit right to begin with. However, any boots with anything more than slight wear are going to be imprinted with another foot pattern and unless they are LARGE enough to fit a new insole in there and to take up the large slack, you will never get them to mold to YOUR foot.

I have a couple of used pairs that have hit me just right and been a genuine bargain; but I have an equal number that I never wear because they just don't feel right. This is especially true and critical if heel counters (the stiff part that cups your heel) have been stretched or run over. With even the most conservative heel height, you'll never get comfortable; with higher or underslung heels, you are begging for a sprained (or worse) ankle. ALWAYS check for proper heel alignment and wear on used boots by viewing them from the rear, at eye level on a flat surface, and the taller the heel (or underslung) the more cautious I'd be. And get new heel caps on worn boots, so your heel strike starts off on the level.

If you are looking for true riding/working boots, you'll stay away from the exotic toe and heel shapes and maybe even consider a lace-up packer style. Spur shelfs are optional...;-> Ariat makes a VERY comfortable, well-engineered riding boot.

I strongly recommend GrapevineHill.com They have a terrific 35% off sale on right now and generally have a huge stock of Luccheses, in all price ranges. They also have a liberal return policy for trial and error fitment.

Good luck; giddyap!

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
I have to agree about checking on eBay. The biggest seller of Lucchese boots does it on eBay. Realistically for what we get out of boots, fashion is an important point. We all want to look cool whether they be cowboy boots or engineers. Engineer's as you know are really hot right now. If you're just testing the Waters I would use eBay, but makes certain you have return opportunity. Especially until you know how these boots will fit on you. When you decide you want something custom-made, then save your money and get it. If you're a 12 or 13 let me know I can help you out--John

TipTop

Practically Family
I started buying from Grapevinehill.com on ePrey, but have dealt only directly with them for a couple of years now. Right now, their e-mail list sale has reached 40% off on everything in stock, including Lucchese hand-tooled belts etc. Their direct deals seem much better than ePrey offerings.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Howdy

These are for sale. I have decided to part with two pair of boots if anyone is interested. Both Red Wings size 11D

94226131.jpg

157d9f2e.jpg

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
TipTop;

Great answers to the questions raised by brother The Good. Informative and no B.S. and you are 100% correct of course.

Regards,
coffee

Thx coffee, nice to be held in esteem for hard-earned experience. It helps ease the blisters and the cut-off circulation!

If you are in no hurry The Good, you can find some places that carry different brands and spend an afternoon trying on and LISTENING to knowledgeable sales people about different boot lasts and fitment.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
GOT STINGRAY ?
232323232%7Ffp6359%3A%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3555%3A3835734%3Bnu0mrj

Left Cowtown custom roper. Center Lucchase HandMade, Right Manuel (he made stuff for country music stars like the man in black etc)
232323232%7Ffp63562%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3555%3A3838334%3Bnu0mrj
232323232%7Ffp63555%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3555%3A3837%3B34%3Bnu0mrj
232323232%7Ffp63585%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3555%3A3838234%3Bnu0mrj
:cool:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I agree, thank you. I'm not getting the boots right now, but I may in the future, so it's always good to know that for planning ahead.

Our styles keep intersecting. Just a couple of months ago, after toying with the idea of buying boots, I ended up with a pair of Ariat ropers from the bay.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube_share;E1xbDlym8_8]http://youtu.be/E1xbDlym8_8[/video]

Former ranch hand Kyle Rosfeld (bootmaker.etsy.com) found a new path making traditional cowboy boots.

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
[video=youtube_share;E1xbDlym8_8]http://youtu.be/E1xbDlym8_8[/video]

Former ranch hand Kyle Rosfeld (bootmaker.etsy.com) found a new path making traditional cowboy boots.

Thanks much for posting this vid; very interesting and informative, and blissfully low-key. I just wish he had shown us some of his boots in detail, but I'll go over to Etsy to see what I can find.

TipTop

Practically Family
Just got a pair of used Tony Lama Black Label Elephant boots, I'll get some pictures later.

Don't be alarmed if they feel snug when you first put them on. I can't think of any other hide that stretches more--then returns to steady state when cooled down--than elephant. They provide a nice snug fit that expands where you need them to do so. Also, they are VERY tough and can take a lot of wear. Good luck with them.

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Hey, what do y'all think about the type of cowboy boots that seems to be popular today, that is, the kind with a short heel and either a square or a round toe (not pointy or in-between round and pointy)? Examples of this type of boots include these, these, these, and these. It seems like I mainly see them on those who ride horses regularly or those whose entire outfit is western (e.g. hat, Wranglers, etc.).

TipTop

Practically Family
I call 'em Platypus toes, and I don't find them attractive, but having an E-width foot, they are probably comfortable (and I'll also say that I don't care for the white-welt stitching either) Together they really jump out at you. But then, I have not seen that toe on higher-end boots, so maybe it's the whole boot that looks kinda odd. I think it is a style thing, trying to be different.

The lower heel is appearing across the spctrum, and I attribute it to aging Baby Boomers whose backs can't take the higher heels. I just got a new custom pair of J. B. Hill Anteaters and had the slightly lower heel put on them. I have an arthritic lower back and boots can sometime aggravate it.

16394472-md.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot