Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I like cowboy boots and I wear them to work, but my feet are unhappy in pointy toe shoes. So I buy round toe boots with a more conservative heel, in fact, I just bought a pair of these Ariats from Sheplers.

030467_41_p1_zps1ea014c2.jpg

AF

Nice ones. Are those bull hide vamps?
I'm partial to pointy toes, but don't limit my options.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

strokes1251

Practically Family
I checked out Cuadra's website. (Stroke's new boots) Some of their boots look really nice. I'm very partial to pointy toes. There even was a style similar to my ACMEs, though I wasn't real keen on the Stacy Adams looking toe on them.

i38i2d.jpg

Yea they make some really nice styles and its awesome that they opened a store up in Vegas no more going all the way down to TJ :D. Also these were the first pointy boots I have ever purchased. I usually have had round toe boots like the ones from Nocona (right) and Justin (left) and even some Ariats which were awesome for the price ($10). I look forward to getting more pointy boots down the line :).

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Nice ones. Are those bull hide vamps?

Thanks! I think the vamps are just a different finish of leather. The model is "Heritage Stockman". I like them because I can wear khakis or black suit with them. I haven't tried a navy blue suit...but I don't think it would work. They might be a little dressy for jeans, too.

AF

Dennis Holt

New in Town
Anyone know of a custom bootmaker that makes no nonsense western style boots for a reasonable price? I have an unusual size foot that makes it pretty near impossible to find a pull on boot that fits correctly. I really like the red wing 1178 style with the low heel. Its more like a wellington style boot. Most of the sites that i visit show boots with all kinds of designs and inlays and stuff. Thats cool and all but i just want some poop-kickers that fit right and don't kill my feet. Thanks.

Hi Dennis, that depends on what you call reasonable. Nocona makes more hard to fit sizes than any other factory boot, if you find a dealer near you they can custom order any size you need pretty much - for waaay less than custom made. Like $200-$300 range vs. close to a grand or better.
Also, If you like the Red Wings, why not go that route. They do custom orders too.
Both RW & Nocona only do custom orders through their retailers though, not online, so that may be an issue if you don't live near one. Where I live, there's two Red Wing stores within a 20 minute drive, but the closest Nocona vendor is over 60 miles away.
If you're dead set on custom, try Champion Attitude. They make both wild and mild kinds. Their really elaborate ones run $700 & up so I would think plain ones would be less.
btw- I have a plain black pair of Noconas and they are definately some of the most comfortable I own. I'd buy 'em again.

TipTop

Practically Family
Anyone know of a custom bootmaker that makes no nonsense western style boots for a reasonable price? I have an unusual size foot that makes it pretty near impossible to find a pull on boot that fits correctly. I really like the red wing 1178 style with the low heel. Its more like a wellington style boot. Most of the sites that i visit show boots with all kinds of designs and inlays and stuff. Thats cool and all but i just want some poop-kickers that fit right and don't kill my feet. Thanks.

Hi Dennis, I have odd feet too, but so do MOST people. I am an E-width in front, but have a narrow heel, very high insteps (murder getting in and out of boots) and very high arches (I wear a support pad) and to make things difficult, my left is about 3/4 a size larger than right. However, this doesn't even raise an eyebrow with good boot makers; it's just part of the order. All those accommodations rolled into an order can be made by just a couple of adjustments (the width is OK at a D if they open up the left vamp a bit to accommodate my instep, thereby keeping the heel at normal width, etc.) Getting someone who knows what they are doing in measurements and a tape measure is all it takes.

Two general cautions (especially age-dependent), watch narrow/pointed-toe styles and heels higher than 1.5" Here's JB Hill's chart on toes and heels; it's less complicated than the Lucchese charts.

If you were up here in the northeast, I wouldn't know who to send you to; but being in W Alabama, you must be in shooting distance of a retail store or manufacturer who can do careful measurements. Also, any of those show boot dealers can make anything as plain as you want; don't be scared away by fancy boots with fancy prices. Plain boots can be had from these top quality guys for HALF the price of the exotics. And then they'll have your measurements on file.

Once you KNOW your requirements, you can order boots custom, but avoid the measurement time. For instance, now, I just tell them to make a 12.5E for left and 12D/E for right…and all the other stuff falls into place. In a store though, I'd have to make do with a wide 12 EE that would crimp my left length and be very sloppy on my right foot and heel.

The only outlier is the manufacturer's last: some make very trim boots and you have to size-adjust for what are now considered "old last" sizing (Lucchese made back in San Antonio is one prominent one, along with some of the premiere custom guys..Stallion, JB Hill, TO Stanley etc.) However, people with narrow feet may prefer these trim older lasts that date back to when most people were under 6 ft. tall, etc. But a good shoe salesman will steer you to a manufacturer's last that start off being closer to your foot shape. And since you want plain, that's no big deal for ANY manufacturer.

If you SEARCH on this site, you can find listing of custom makers. Go to their web site and check their price ranges; then you'll have a better idea of the value you are getting at a retail store vs. that of full-blown custom. And by all means, get some measurements taken at boot shows, and listen carefully to their recommendations; that's a lot cheaper and easier than buying boots of different makers and experimenting. Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Bigfoot66

New in Town
Tip Top totally right here. Never tried boots b/c I was tall and lanky already. I didn't need any more height, and though I like the way they looked I didn't think I could pull it off with my frame.

Since then I've gained about 50 pounds via the gym (all good), so I opted to give it a shot. Like Tip Top I have high arches and instep, so getting them on and off can be a pain in the arse (or foot). Long story short, I broke my leg last spring, had plates and screws inserted, then removed b/c of an infection. I was/am left with a very weak right ankle/foot, and the only show that gives me relief AND protects me from "dropfoot" that has come as a result, is a boot. It is a different feeling to walk with a typical 1 1/2 inch heel if you've never done that before. Dress shoes are no longer comfortable because of how they are cut...right across the incision area on my ankle where the screws were inserted.

I started off with Ebay and got some great deals on used Lucchese, but I can attest that once the last has been broken in by someone else, your foot won't ever feel right. So if you can get to a retailer, let them fit you in a new pair. Maybe try from the shelf first before going custom. There's truly a big difference in a new last and one that's already broken in by someone else.

Dennis, I didn't relize you were down here in the heart of Dixie. Guess I shoulda looked at your profile. I'm down in Birmingham. Last pair of Noconas I got, years ago, were from a boot/western place on 78 up near Jasper. Don't remember the name, or even know if it's still around. No western stores down here for many years now, except the Mexican ones. They've got some super cool (read: pimped out and over the top) stuff, but no brands (or sizes) of boots other than Mex. ones.

strokes1251

Practically Family
@Bigfoot66 Ebay is certainly a bad place to search up Lucchese because you will find to much of what you want and end up going broke! :D The other day I found lots of different pairs I wanted but I'm going to wait to try some on in person before I began bargain shopping :)

Today I was able to get my Second pair of snakeskins thanks to my Pop. We were talking about my new boots when he said he had boots like mine that had become closet queens due to them being to small. He brought them out and I really took a liking to them and he told me I could have him since we finally saw "toe to toe". Not bad for a pair that's ten years old really digging them since they are a darker brown that looks awesome out in the light! :D
2yv2po2.jpg

2jcetqd.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
I could have him since we finally saw "toe to toe". Not bad for a pair that's ten years old really digging them since they are a darker brown that looks awesome out in the light! :D

2jcetqd.jpg

Congrats on your meeting of the toes!

First things first: Get a bottle of Bick #4 Leather conditioner (any good shoe repair shop) and lube those babies up. Pls don't even attempt to wear them without doing so. Being 10+ years old and snake skin, they will be very thirsty and let's hope not too brittle. Also, when you get a chance, I'd like to see a rear-end pic of that heel treatment--looks like the leather is gathered and stitched??

Wear them proudly!

Last edited:

strokes1251

Practically Family
@Bunnyip: Thanks buddy! :)
@dh66 Thanks they sure do stand out here in LA for some reason :rolleyes: and thank god the ol ball and chain reminds me of bills every time I bring up a new purchase :eek:
@Tiptop lol it was a Kodak moment :D Dang I wore them today to see how I would do wearing them! But I should have been more specific my dad has had them for 10 years and stopped wearing them on the 9th year. Either way I'll go in and get some conditioner thanks for the advice! (EDIT* Would Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator work as well? I found some that I use on my older jackets) Manage to get a pic of them outside after I got home and one of the back. Thanks again friend! :)
smrnl5.jpg

1patl0.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
@Bunnyip: Thanks buddy! :)
@dh66 Thanks they sure do stand out here in LA for some reason :rolleyes: and thank god the ol ball and chain reminds me of bills every time I bring up a new purchase :eek:
@Tiptop lol it was a Kodak moment :D Dang I wore them today to see how I would do wearing them! But I should have been more specific my dad has had them for 10 years and stopped wearing them on the 9th year. Either way I'll go in and get some conditioner thanks for the advice! (EDIT* Would Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator work as well? I found some that I use on my older jackets) Manage to get a pic of them outside after I got home and one of the back. Thanks again friend! :)

1patl0.jpg

Strokes, I don't know about Dr Jackson's hide treatment, but would be very careful of "cow hide" conditioner on snakeskin. Bicks #4 is the industry standard and is recommended by virtually all major boot makers for ALL SKINS. And I was introduced to it by my motorcycle dealer 25 years ago for treatment of German leathers…not greasy and will not change colors/darken skins.

And thanks for that rear-end view--I love subtle little interesting details like that--even though there is a lot going on up front! I like the brown color too. Good luck with them.

strokes1251

Practically Family
Strokes, I don't know about Dr Jackson's hide treatment, but would be very careful of "cow hide" conditioner on snakeskin. Bicks #4 is the industry standard and is recommended by virtually all major boot makers for ALL SKINS. And I was introduced to it by my motorcycle dealer 25 years ago for treatment of German leathers…not greasy and will not change colors/darken skins.

And thanks for that rear-end view--I love subtle little interesting details like that--even though there is a lot going on up front! I like the brown color too. Good luck with them.
Ahh good thank god I waited I'll just stop by my shoe guy and hopefully they have some in stock. Yea the details in the back make it seem like they have gills lol! Thanks :)

TipTop

Practically Family
I wore these with dark green cords to a Victorian Christmas Stroll in the city and got all kinds of compliments. Oh and my two Newfies drew the most attention. They are Falconhead Tres Outlaws "Flaming Youths" and after four hours on the mean streets of Troy, NY, they are still among the most comfortable boots I own. After (store) purchase, I sent them back to Tres have the thin rubber sole attached so that I can (but never have) wear them on the motorcycle. They are fairly snappy with black leathers….

wflaming youth0675 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24