Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Craigslist, anybody have luck there?

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have found several cool items on the local craigslist, anybody else have any success there?

My latest purchase was a NIB pair of 80s era Bass tassel Weejuns, with the tissue still stuffed in one of them. These are made in USA, not like the new production. I paid $30...more than I like to spend, but I feel good about the purchase. I wore Weejuns, in penny and tassel versions, all the way through high school and college, and these are a real time capsule for me...takes me back to 1985.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
It all depends on where you live, some areas have a more active Craigslist than other. The vast majority of my furniture comes from Craigslist...and we're not talking used Ikea schlock either lol

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I just bought 9 issues of Popular Songs magazine from 1935 via Craig's List Ohio (don't know which town).

I'm not even sure how I found that listing -- via a Google search, no doubt. But they're in great shape, and I got all nine, shipped, for $30.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I love Craigslist! My favorite CL finds: my '50s shadow box, star-shaped lucite purse, pink and black dinette set and a vintage oil painting of burlesque legend Kitty West (aka Evangeline the Oyster Girl)! As the posts above said, it sometimes requires time and effort to find the good stuff, but it's worth it! The prices on CL are usually better than Ebay too.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
That's where I found the treadmill I bought for my dog. It was way cheaper--and way smaller, which was good--than those for sale at retail stores.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've sold some (non vintage) things on Craigslist. I must say though, that from my experience and from stories I've heard from my friends, Craigslist does attract an odd group of people. And they come to your HOUSE!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
I've sold some (non vintage) things on Craigslist. I must say though, that from my experience and from stories I've heard from my friends, Craigslist does attract an odd group of people. And they come to your HOUSE!

I had no problems with buyers. If you ever do Freecycle, though, weirdos come out for that! :eek:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
I had no problems with buyers. If you ever do Freecycle, though, weirdos come out for that! :eek:

In the rural southern Ohio area where I live the Freecycle list is mostly made up of people asking for things, not of things being offered. Typical request is "so and so is moving out and I need everything for a house" and others along those lines. If they're giving away something it's usually dogs or cats.

Cheers,
Tom

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm on the local freecycle email list, but I've never listed anything, nor picked up anything.

I had a nice score on craigslist today...Alden model H466 dark brown cape cod horsebit loafers...worn a couple of times, uppers are like new...$75. It's more than my norm, but they look cool...I can't believe I've reached an age where I am willing to wear bit loafers, those were something my dad's countryclub pals wore when I was a kiddo.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I found a great vintage saloon dryer with a pink hood. I have also gotten a free pink toilet and a pink toilet and sink combo for a pink bathroom I would like to have someday now I just need the tub those are harder to come by. Obviously I like pink and my husband puts up with me!lol

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
In the rural southern Ohio area where I live the Freecycle list is mostly made up of people asking for things, not of things being offered. Typical request is "so and so is moving out and I need everything for a house" and others along those lines. If they're giving away something it's usually dogs or cats.

Cheers,
Tom

Our local freecycle is bizarre - it'll be offer: used plastic flowerpots, wanted: flatscreen TV, bigger than 24".

I've offloaded quite a bit of stuff though - lots of bubblewrap and cardboard boxes, and a bunch of cosmetics and toiletries.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Maj.Nick Danger said:
....that Craig's List will become the next ebay. A few more rate increases and diabolical "upgrades" for sellers on ebay and this may very well be true.
Would you mind elaborating? I am not educated on the difference for sellers on CL as opposed to sellers on Ebay.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Iowa is full of antique stores and estate auctions; anything that doesn't get snapped up in an estate sale, is usually either pawned or sent to an antique store. Period.

Anything on CL is 1980's+ and typically in the ThighMaster line of reasonable utility.

Edward

Bartender
Puzzicato said:
Our local freecycle is bizarre - it'll be offer: used plastic flowerpots, wanted: flatscreen TV, bigger than 24".

I've offloaded quite a bit of stuff though - lots of bubblewrap and cardboard boxes, and a bunch of cosmetics and toiletries.

You've done better than me. I once tried to give away a perfectly good fridge and a freezer. Two sets of would be recipients failed to show up, or to even offer any reason why. I won't be using it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran