Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crofut & Knapp Tales

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys. Brad, I spent a ton of time editing those so they looked good blown up. Got rid of every dust spot, hair, and imperfection that I could. I'll share the files (they are large) if you want them. Not sure of the best way to do that. Too large to email.

B

You did some GREAT work on those to get them as you have. You say they are too large to e-mail, what do you consider too large as i regularly send large megabyte drawing files in my work and those don't look like they would be that large. Again, NICE,NICE work.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
1903-1906? Derby

In my quest for a 19th century C&K Derby I decided to bid on this one a while back. It is in sad shape, and way to small for most people, so that probably explains why I was the only bidder. The seller tried to replace the rotted hatband ribbon, unfortunately. I had not seen this crest before, and was hoping it represented my grail hat.

1903CKDerby1.jpg

1903CKDerby2.jpg

The binding is long gone, though the brown color clearly shows the heat effects of the iron used to curl the brim edge. There is only a small portion of the original sweatband left, and the thread is rotting away holding the liner to the tip.

1903CKDerby3.jpg

1903CKDerby4.jpg

Alas, it's not 19th century, but it might actually predate the Knapp-Felt hats of 1906. The two stars in the crest have the years 1858 and 1903, though I know of no event in 1903 that was important to C&K, other than the 45th Anniversary of the company. It's possible that this is a post-1906 hat from the cheaper, non-Knapp-Felt lines. I've not seen that Latin phrase on a C&K hat before. It seems to literally translate as "Power this boy," but I'm sure something is lost in the translation.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
1941 Derby

Here's another beauty I recently received. I wanted this one for the 1941 crest, which updated the original 1906 crest. This one may actually date to 1941 as it still has the taped sweatband. By 1942, HCA had switched to sewn seams, though there could be exceptions. This one also has a Bon Ton Sweatband. At a 7 1/2, it's slightly large for me, but I don't plan on wearing it much as I've got a go-to Dobbs Derby for everyday wear.

1941CKDerby1.jpg

1941CKDerby2.jpg

1941CKDerby3.jpg

For comparison, here is the original 1906 crest:
1906CKTrademark.jpg

1941CKDerby4.jpg

1941CKDerby5.jpg

1941CKDerby6.jpg

Brad

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Both Derbies are extremely cool, Brad. I really like 1903-1906 one. The derby from 1941 was originally sold right by where I live. Logan Sqaure is a very neat area in Chicago. A good portion of the houses and buildings were built between 1880 and 1920, so there is some beautiful architecture. In the 1940's, it was a fairly upper middle class area. The Logan Square Auditorium is still standing and is still used for weddings, events, concerts, etc. The outside has been taken care of and has not changed in nearly a century.
LoganSquareAuditorium.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Looks to be in fine shape and nicely proportioned. Here's that trademark first used 1/1/'41
5738278624_b256281ae3_b.jpg

I lived at 2401 N. Kedzie for 7 years-just over 1 block down the street.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's like old home week for you gents, then, isn't it? :)

I searched for the retailer in Google News and couldn't find a single reference.

Brad

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Quite a while ago I scanned two of my favorite knappfelt ads and "cleaned" them up in paint. Today I finally got around to having posters made from those scans. They turned out really nice. Had them printed in 18" X 24" size. The Ariel is shown next to the original ad. Sorry for the crappy photos. Tough to not get glare off the glass.

B

ariel_poster.jpg

I don't know how I missed this! Those look amazing, Bill!!! I mean, honestly, excellent job. I would really love to have a couple old ads blown up like that. Are they printed on a semi gloss or matte paper?

buler

I'll Lock Up
I don't know how I missed this! Those look amazing, Bill!!! I mean, honestly, excellent job. I would really love to have a couple old ads blown up like that. Are they printed on a semi gloss or matte paper?

Thanks Josh. I honestly don't know what kind of paper they used. Didn't feel like a glossy. I had it done at a Kinkos. The first time I went to Kinkos months ago they said they couldn't do it because of copyright issues. This time they didn't even ask when or what the images were from.

B

rlk

I'll Lock Up
C & K Derby 19teens

P1020793.JPG
P1020795.JPG

P1020796.JPG
P1020797.JPG

P1020799.JPG
P1020798.JPG

Screen%252520shot%2525202011-09-15%252520at%25252012.51.53%252520PM.png
Screen%252520shot%2525202011-09-15%252520at%25252012.51.03%252520PM.png

Seems to have a fairly thick edge but hard to be certain with the fully enclosing binding. Ventilation holes and rather short brim and rounded crown.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yep, I've always thought that's about as high-roller as it gets. "Yes, my hat has a cav edge, and yes, I've covered it with a binding, and, yes, I have my money pressed."

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seems to have a fairly thick edge but hard to be certain with the fully enclosing binding. Ventilation holes and rather short brim and rounded crown.

Where/in what design are the ventilation holes? I don't see them in the pix. Fascinating chunk of felt ya got there.
I trust you'll take off the brim binding to find out... or bring it to an x-ray machine?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Great find, rlk! One of the very few Derbies that's turned up sporting a Cavanagh Edge, and the first hat I remember seeing touting the original patent.

One of the original purposes of the Cavanagh Edge, as discussed in the original patent, was to replace the edge binding on Derbies. The binding was considered necessary to prevent any whiteness of the shellac from showing through on the felt edge. Funny thing is, on all the Derbies I've seen that feature a Cavanagh Edge, they also had edge binding. Go figure.[huh]

You can tell the Cavanagh Edge is there because the binding is stitched down directly onto the brim, and not folded under itself as on a normal Derby brim.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou