Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cruising speed

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
So, how many does it take? I don't mean that buzz you get from the first drink. Nor do I mean whatever the guy over at Modern Drunkard is into (been there? here it is: http://www.drunkard.com/index.html).

No, you know what I mean. You have a couple, or a couple more, and at some point you break through the clouds into clear air, and you know you can cruise here for a LONG time without fortification. Cruising speed. It's well short of drunk. It's a little past high. It's Friday night on a long weekend. Everything's cool.

So, my question is: how many does it take you go get to that plateau?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bourbon Guy said:
So, how many does it take? I don't mean that buzz you get from the first drink. Nor do I mean whatever the guy over at Modern Drunkard is into (been there? here it is: http://www.drunkard.com/index.html).

No, you know what I mean. You have a couple, or a couple more, and at some point you break through the clouds into clear air, and you know you can cruise here for a LONG time without fortification. Cruising speed. It's well short of drunk. It's a little past high. It's Friday night on a long weekend. Everything's cool.

So, my question is: how many does it take you go get to that plateau?

Sometimes, its two Martinis. At others, it's three. Last Sunday, it was six glasses of champagne at a cast party. It also depends on whether food consumption is happening before, after or with the imbibing, and quite frankly, how well hydrated with non-alcoholic beverages before hitting the hard stuff.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mike in Seattle said:
Sometimes, its two Martinis. At others, it's three.
Martinis are like breasts, one isn't enough, and three is too many

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
With absinthe, that can vary between two to three glasses or more, depending on whether it commercial, or non-commercial absinthe.

One tends to feel more clear headed drinking absinthe from past experience.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Absinthe_1900 said:
With absinthe, that can vary between two to three glasses or more, depending on whether it commercial, or non-commercial absinthe.

One tends to feel more clear headed drinking absinthe from past experience.

Not quite fair. It is my humble and inexperienced understanding that the absinthe crowd believes that it provides an entirely different form of intoxication from that derived from simple alcohol. Certainly our predecessors thought so, and they banned it as a result of that belief. My understanding is that current medical science supports our forebears' instincts in that, indeed, a powerful neurotoxin was at work, enlivening the evening, but ultimately tormenting the partaker with a slow descent into madness.

However, as my recent protestations against the ultimate wages deriving from partaking in tobacco have met with less than favorable responses, I will keep my counsel silent as to absinthe, and simply direct my compatriates to a less adulterated form of alcohol as my nom de internet might suggest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy