Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Makers?.......

jsecunda

New in Town
HI folks:

Great site/first post.

I've checked out a lot of old posts, but don't see a compilation of who the community identifies as the "best" master hatters out there. I'm planning on ordering a fedora and wonder who the best makers are. I see Optimo, the Fedora guy, Art (who seems still to be setting up his shop). Are there others you folks admire and recommend?

Thanks-
JS

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Michael Harris of Paul's Hat Works in San Francisco does excellent work, but he's not cheap. In fact, he's probably the most expensive of anyone at $1,500 for a hand-made fedora! That's definitely out of my league (I think his clientele includes rock stars and other rich people), but Michael's a cool guy.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I've heard a lot abot Art Fawcetts work but I haven't seen any of his hats . Just heard good things about him . Graham's price are in the 300-350 range and thats not too bad for a custom made hat .I've seen production made hats sell for a lot more (Hartford York) that aren't worth half as much .
:cool2:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Go with an ART-ist

besdor said:
I've heard a lot abot Art Fawcetts work but I haven't seen any of his hats . Just heard good things about him . Graham's price are in the 300-350 range and thats not too bad for a custom made hat .I've seen production made hats sell for a lot more (Hartford York) that aren't worth half as much .
:cool2:

No Graham's prices are now approaching the $600 range. He is one of the best. Art's hats, I have 7 of them...are wonderful. Pure beaver. Hand mande. Nicely trimmed. You can't go wrong.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
All good hatters

I own several fedora's from Optimo, Adventurebilt and Art Fawcett. They each offer a little something different in there hats. Optimo fedora's with a beaver blend start at $425.00. A pure beaver is $600.00 last time I checked. If you want a pure beaver fedora Steve and Art are the way to go since a hat from them in beaver is in the mid $200 range.

I can honestly say the hatters above give excellent customer service.

"Buy the hat not the story"

gdkenoyer

Familiar Face
jsecunda said:
Are there others you folks admire and recommend?
JS, I don't yet have personal experience with Jersey Jones Camptown hats but lord knows I'm trying...
Take a gander at this string, especially the links in post #8 to see comments from those who do have experience. We're halfway to having the number needed for a new run.
and, btw, welcome to the forum!

jsecunda

New in Town
Thanks!

You folks are very generous-thanks.

I also keep hearing about somebody called Gladhatters, but can't find them on the internet (at least not as a hat maker). Anyone have any info on them?

Thanks-
js

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I have tremendous Montecristis from these guys.

Art Fawcett (the best)

Gary White (Unusual blocks)

Vince Corvelli (nice, but his partner is a slow pay or no pay)

Others that I have:

Brent Black (great block, way too much $$$) Another expert told me the hat was really blocked by Trent Johnson.

Milton Johnson (A glued up mess of a hat)

Others that I've only seen:

Now I've seen Graham's Optimo blocks and they are superb.

Orlando great hat.

Borsalino (marked Montecristi and really a low dollar Cuenca) Great presentation, though.

Ditto Stetson. False mark.

Ditto Lock and Co. False mark.

Machine Blocks:

Ortega is Tremendous (looks an awful lot like Black's blocking)

Daurfzman (SP?) same as above...nice job.

Any local shops in Cuenca have great machines.

From the beginning this has looked like a GH troll, phish, whatever.

gotan

New in Town
Thanks;what about their in stock hats made in Italy.

I have a Tomaz & Williamson Stingy that I like the style of , which I understand is private labled for JJ Hatcenter in NYC by Biltmore.
I'm looking for the same style but better quality up to $300.

GraveRobberGreg

Familiar Face
jsecunda said:
You folks are very generous-thanks.

I also keep hearing about somebody called Gladhatters, but can't find them on the internet (at least not as a hat maker). Anyone have any info on them?

Thanks-
js

I have a 1919 mercury felt from Gladhatter and its an outstanding hat. Very soft and comfortable to wear. I still think my favorite hat is going to be my Adventurebilt. Thats the one I wear the most

Thanks MIchaelson :cheers1:

jsecunda

New in Town
trolls?

Thanks, again. And no...this is not a troll from Gladhatters, whoever they may be-still don't know. I guess there is some history here that I am now aware of.

Just a newbie who wants to buy one fedora, at least to start, and do it right the first time so that I don't look like a dope wearing it. Being in the Boston area, there seem to be no mens' hat stores, unless you want a Sox baseball cap-so mail order it must be!...
js

Johnnysan

One Too Many
gotan said:
I have a Tomaz & Williamson Stingy that I like the style of , which I understand is private labled for JJ Hatcenter in NYC by Biltmore.
I'm looking for the same style but better quality up to $300.

Just saw a T&W in the JJ Catalog that I really like he look of. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the brand and you are the first person whom I can recall mentioning them. What can you tell us about the quality of this hat for the price? Thanks in advance and welcome! :)

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Ken says....

the wait will be over shortly...

gdkenoyer said:
JS, I don't yet have personal experience with Jersey Jones Camptown hats but lord knows I'm trying...
Take a gander at this string, especially the links in post #8 to see comments from those who do have experience. We're halfway to having the number needed for a new run.
and, btw, welcome to the forum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925