Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darted Fronts

frat

New in Town
Hi Guys & Gals,

I've been a long time follower of the FL and recently decided to sign up. I've used this forum often for information, to learn, and to get a good perspective on vintage style. Along with a question I am going to post; this is also my introduction. I also recently came across two atomic fleck suits on a recent trip to Chicago that I will be listing in my Etsy shop sometime this week.

My question is: When did suit makers start adding darted fronts?

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
When did suit makers start adding darted fronts?

Loooong before the 50's in any case. Definitely already by the early 1920's... certainly also before that. Dartless jackets were becoming increasingly rare by the end of the 1920's - often for bigger sizes or "conservative sack cuts".

Qirrel

Practically Family
The earliest example of a pattern draft with front dart like the one which is now seen on almost all modern jackets I have seen is from 1909. I am sure it was "invented" earlier than that, but they don't start being common until the mid-late 1910s.

frat

New in Town
Would you say that darted fronts were the norm then? And then in the late 50-60s makers moved toward sack cut during the ivy-boom and then moved back again to darted fronts with the MOD style?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The "styles" you mention didn't replace each other... front darts were a standard feature on the vast majority of regular suits in the 50's (and before and after that). The "Ivy" cut also existed already before and after that - parallel to the "regular" style. Mostly, as the name implies around College campuses - while for a time gaining in wider popularity. The "Mod" Style also was a "niche" style that was oriented towards the Italian style, which again was only one of several styles of the period.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael