Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating a leather jacket based on the presence of or style of Talon zipper?

Levallois

Practically Family
I thought the jacket I bought was 1970-1980 but it has a Talon zipper. I can't find any info here but didn't Talon go out of business in the 1960s? Either way, can clothing be dated based on the style or look of the Talon zipper? Thanks!

John

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Talon is still in business. The specific pattern of zipper is one tool that can be used, in conjunction with others, to help put a date on a jacket.

Levallois

Practically Family
It's an L.L. Bean and I don't know how far back their version of an A-2 goes or whether they had a bunch NOS zippers they used over the years?

Levallois

Practically Family
Ok, well I've done some reading on the forum (something I should do first) and apparently my L.L. Bean flight jacket is a none-to-accurate fascimille of the real thing. So worrying about the zipper and how old it is seems a waste of time. I got it for a fraction of what Bean is selling them for today. It's in excellent shape with a soft leather body - distressed perfectly - albeit with a 2 piece back, 100% wool sleeves, and nylon liner. It was made in the USA in my exact size (44). I think it will do as my knock-around jacket this winter.

Thanks for the replies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR