Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dean's Boots in Giant ?

Doug C

Practically Family
I'm not much of a cowboy boot person at all, particularly any exotic skins or just plain shiney in any way. But there are a pair in the back of my mind that I can't quite let go of... and that's the boots James Dean wore in the movie 'Giant'. They have sort of a blunt nose and look to be a rough-out leather (to borrow a term) and have a nicely angled heel. I searched a few website's that popped up but none had the info I was looking for. Does anyone here have an idea the make and/or model of those beautifully ugly boots?

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks Dr. Gregg but I should have been more specific as I realise that he may have worn several different pairs through out the production. As a matter of fact I highly suspect this to be the case after just now looking for pictures of the boots in question. The ones you linked to are not them. I'm after the boots Jet was wearing while working on the oil derek at the moment his oil well erupts. In this scene his clothes are more work style than cowboy style, black work pants and work shirt... but the boots appear to be a blunt nose suede and to me they have a very specific profile, that not just any old pair will necessarily match. Sorry to be the stickler. I'll keep trying to find a good picture, wish I had a dvd atleast to get a screen grab, but don't.

Doug C

Highlander

A-List Customer
Here are a few photos showing the boots:
jettluz.jpg

Here is my favorite: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2687701062_b4675081b6.jpg

I too have alwasy loved the boots he had on, I have some Tony Llama's that are close, but they have the "Saddle Oxford" pice across the vamp. Justin used to make some that were close, as did Nacona. You could special order most cowboy boots with the "riding heel" and the "U Toe" that would create a boot that is close.

I am sure Blucher Boots would also make boots like them, here's one that's close:
no060.jpg

Make sure you get your jeans long enough to "stack" on the boot like his do also.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Here are a pair of what appear to be old Justin Buckaroo Boots(and they maybe Olathe Boots too, I have a pair of brown Olathe's that look like those) with the heel and toe you are asking about:
13540_165667772766_686242766_2665306_7247930_n.jpg

And another pair:
6048_112557052766_686242766_2141142_1088184_n.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks for the input and pictures guys, I probably need to break down and rent the movie again, but I'm remembering (or imagening) a more blunter toe area and a rough looking appearance that I assume was rough-out rather than smooth leather. The rideing heel, as you guys are calling it, certainly seems to be right though. Here's a picture of his boots with a blunt toe, but again they don't seem right for the "Jett's gusher comes in" scene.

Doug C

High Pockets

Practically Family
Highlander said:
Here are a few photos showing the boots:
jettluz.jpg

Here is my favorite: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2687701062_b4675081b6.jpg

You could special order most cowboy boots with the "riding heel" and the "U Toe" that would create a boot that is close.

I am sure Blucher Boots would also make boots like them, here's one that's close:
no060.jpg

Blucher makes all my boots,.....if you have a photo or just an idea, Smitty can make them. You pick the toe-box, hight, heal, leather, stitching style and color,.....everything.

These all started as nothing more than an idea in my head.

100_2315.jpg

100_2316.jpg

100_2317.jpg

Edward

Bartender
High Pockets said:

I really like these.... Cowboy boots aren't generally to my taste, but I love the understatedness of this pair, minimal fuss to them, and the toe is almost like an engineer boot. Very cool!

High Pockets

Practically Family
Thank you sir, that was my intent.

:) My intent in posting was not to show off my boots, but to illustrate the fact that if Doug C wanted to have a pair made to look like the boots he admires in Giant, he can.

Doug C

Practically Family
Wow, thanks for the info guys, I'll have to look into the blucher company, got a website? Those boots are nice and I too like that simple black one best. As for the lucchesse, I see some toes boxes that look like what I have in mind. I just wish it were easier than haveing to custom order a pair of boots, especially since I'm not sure they'd get a whole ton of wear. So, ideally I was hopeing that Dean's boot were some kind of well known classic model...and I could pick up a pair second hand - I know that was hopeing for alot though. The only thing I have been able to find is video on youtube of that guiser scene and it's not good enough for a grab. The web has no info either about the wardrobe details.

Doug C

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doug

Call these people they claim to have the actual boots. Perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

Fairmount Historical Museum—which has, among its artifacts, the cowboy boots he wore in "Giant".
P.O. Box 92
Fairmount, IN 46928
(765) 948-4555

Doug C

Practically Family
Really ? I will contact them for sure, maybe they'll know the model or offer a picture or two - thanks! Here's another picture, but not a very good one, can't make much out of these:

Doug C

High Pockets

Practically Family
Doug C said:
Wow, thanks for the info guys, I'll have to look into the blucher company, got a website? Those boots are nice and I too like that simple black one best. As for the lucchesse, I see some toes boxes that look like what I have in mind. I just wish it were easier than haveing to custom order a pair of boots, especially since I'm not sure they'd get a whole ton of wear. So, ideally I was hopeing that Dean's boot were some kind of well known classic model...and I could pick up a pair second hand - I know that was hopeing for alot though. The only thing I have been able to find is video on youtube of that guiser scene and it's not good enough for a grab. The web has no info either about the wardrobe details.

Doug C

Here's Blucher's website: http://www.blucherboots.com/

The man who answers the phone will probably be Smitty, one of the last few true boot-makers in the country.

Best of luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou