Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dear new neighbor

HepKitty

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Yeah, sometimes with people like this sometimes you have to set the Golden Rule aside and Do Unto Them--through the system--Before They Screw Unto You. Especially since they're probably just the sort that would plant evidence right before calling in...

Preferably electrified, topped with Razor Ribbon or concertina-wire, or solid masonry with broken glass on top. (Oops, that latter's a "wall"--but works just as well and sometimes better.:D )

yes and yes!

Diamondback said:
To which part? The "Hayduke Rule", the profiling on the neighbors, the fencing or all of the above? (I like 15' high, electrified to 10,000 volts and stressed to take an 8- to 10-ton object impacting at high speed myself.:D )

Geez, you want a fence that is not a fence but something to use in one of those zombie movies to keep the Evil Dead out. :p ;)

HepKitty

One Too Many
so the scream fest took place at about 1615 today, telling them to get their stuff including dog off my property, pix taken of dog at 1700 and call placed for animal control at 1705, animal control showed up at 2015, and the dog was still in my yard all tangled up in the clothesline post. the officer said they will get the dog out of my yard or he will take it. pretty cut & dry huh? I'm sure they'll scream at me for this too... but ok! you can't say I didn't give them a chance to put their dog elsewhere...

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Civil ordinances in your town might cover their actions to your benefit. Otherwise, I've heard from other people *cough... no real knowledge myself* that skunk oil, which can be purchased in stores that sell hunting goods, tends to make a terrible stink inside a car when it is accidentally spilled in the grill/vents. Something about the heat from the engine and the odor wafting inside the car...

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
HepKitty said:
so the scream fest took place at about 1615 today, telling them to get their stuff including dog off my property, pix taken of dog at 1700 and call placed for animal control at 1705, animal control showed up at 2015, and the dog was still in my yard all tangled up in the clothesline post. the officer said they will get the dog out of my yard or he will take it. pretty cut & dry huh? I'm sure they'll scream at me for this too... but ok! you can't say I didn't give them a chance to put their dog elsewhere...

Hepkitty you make my obnoxious neighbor problems seem like childsplay. Keep working at it with the authorities if you are getting them to support you (we have had a problem with our own sheriff department telling us that our neighbor problems are civil matters not criminal). Keep at it. Eventually these types always leave either on their own (sneaking out in the middle of the night owing 2 months back rent) or by force of others ( eviction or arrested).

Chas

One Too Many
Keep your cool, and keep a detailed log of the events, be very precise about events and times. Do not include emotional response/reactions in your observations and pay very close attention to facts and observations. Think of it as a legal document.

Judges and lawyers love that stuff. It will speak for itself.

Then give vent to your anger and sue them for emotional distress and seek punitive damages.

Lock your doors. These folks may have a screw or three loose.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Chas said:
Keep your cool, and keep a detailed log of the events, be very precise about events and times. Do not include emotional response/reactions in your observations and pay very close attention to facts and observations. Think of it as a legal document.

Judges and lawyers love that stuff. It will speak for itself.

Then give vent to your anger and sue them for emotional distress and seek punitive damages.

Lock your doors. These folks may have a screw or three loose.

yep. been playing this legal game for years now (not going into that story), it's old but I've learned a lot. and yes I do wonder just how far they will go to get back at me

AUTHORITIES: 2 BAD NEIGHBOR: 0

Lily Powers said:
Civil ordinances in your town might cover their actions to your benefit. Otherwise, I've heard from other people *cough... no real knowledge myself* that skunk oil, which can be purchased in stores that sell hunting goods, tends to make a terrible stink inside a car when it is accidentally spilled in the grill/vents. Something about the heat from the engine and the odor wafting inside the car...

lol skunk oil that's precious! you rock!

HepKitty

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Naw, just enough to contain a P.O.'ed bull tyrannosaur.:D

lol the niece acted like a whipped puppy after I yelled at her. darling auntie was cussing when I left. who knows what they'll be like tomorrow, and if any "courage" is induced by substances

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I would be hesitant to take internet advice to lash out, as I'm sure you are. These kinds of people tend to have very little to lose and are likely home when you aren't. What I would reccommend is documenting and getting the police involved. I find it hard to believe the police won't intervene in what sounds like trespassing and destruction of personal property. At the very least if called they would go have alittle chat with the neighbors to try and convince them to tone down the nonsense. Good luck

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Are there neighbors on the other side of these people that may also be suffereing from their antics what about the people across the street? What do they think? Chances are these people are offending others and will their are strength in numbers especially with multiple complaints against them more action is likely to be taken. Start making some friends with others about the offensive neighbors.

HepKitty

One Too Many
the neighbors on the other side of the trash house have their back yard fenced, so there's no real way to invade w/o destroying the fence. and the driveway and doors for the trash house are on my side, so that doesn't help me either. there is a big church across the street, so that puts other people noticing out of the question. though the neighbors on the other side of the block probably heard the ruckus yesterday since we were in the back yards

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
If you have proof like a letter cced to the police department, they had first hand knowledge. Even so, the last time I used it resulted in the guy being arrested and evicted. My friend's grandmother was a happy woman. ;) :p

An unrelated party sending you a letter does not qualify as first hand knowledge here. While the PD would have to reasonably act upon the letter (Though, they most likely would not), there is no obligation on the landlord's part to act in that instance.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
CCTV cameras, real or fake (with a flashing light) should be enough to deter them. I have had this for two years and thankfully, returned to find them moved out!!!!
A sweet letter to the landlord asks them to consider us neighbours next time....(I'm not sure he will)
Good luck, it's bloody draining...

too much coffee

Practically Family
HK;
HarpPlayerGene and a few others are correct...........wait it out, they will leave one way or the other. You're doing the right thing, now the landlord knows. That's really all you can do other than preach the gospel when you see them, in normal volume of course, and do not get into any confrontation with them but have a suitable defense standing at the ready. You're doing a swell job so far, don't worry it won't last.
Best regards, coffee

Derek WC

Banned
I've got a few drug dealing neighbors whom blast their danged rap music all night long and smoke marijuana outside where everyone can see them, along with a couple of young punks who come around to buy/sell it to some person up the street.
I would have called the police multiple times just to see them start walking back in or turning their rap noise off. It also doesn't help that the police station is about two miles away, and the manager doesn't even give a hoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails