Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decision must be made please help

playitagainsam

New in Town
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum but have read many of your interesting posts and hope you can offer advice to help me make a decision between two hats. I have narrowed my choice for my second hat to either the Akubra Fed or Jaxon Bogart. I'm with limited funds, less than $150, but desire quality. I'm also an aging Bogart fan and desire a hat that can be shaped to look like the ones he wore in Maltese Falcon etc.

I have a blue/grey hand made Wormser that I have worn on and off for about 15 years mainly with suits and overcoats. It has a 2" brim and 4" crown with a center crease. The new one will be for the same use but either brown or black. I think the Fed would be the choice but I'm concerned about the size. I get the impression that it can be shaped to do what I want. However I don't want to have an Indiana Jones/Cowboy hat look for work. If I understand correctly from some of your posts, I should be able to shape it down in the back with a teardrop or diamond to get the desired effect.

Thanks for your patience and help

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
What will the hat be worn for? Fun, outside work, dress-casual, etc. are likely applications for your hat and might make a difference as to your choice. I'm not familiar with the Jaxon except as a "fun-n-fashion" line. But if you expect it to be tough and come back from a lickin' the Akubra line has a really solid reputation for toughness AND value. I've got a number of them and they've NEVER let me down...among them is a Fed and it is my current favorite Akubra.

What size to you wear?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Federation are nice, and I love them dearly, but they might be a bit larger in brim and crown than you're used to. I have several Feds, none with an Indy shape. I can't say anything about the Jaxon.

Now, while I'm a strong supporter of Akubras, I'd like to suggest a third choice. JP Designs can custom make a rabbit felt fedora to your specs without crossing the $150 mark. Wait time is only about a month, last I heard. At least look into it. You can't go wrong with either JP or Akubra.

Welcome to the Obsession! And the Forum. ;)
NB

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Have had an Akubra Federation for a few years now and LOVE it.....Recently purchased the Jaxon Bogart and am very happy with it, a nice hat, in felt, at a great price.

If I had to choose just one to have between the two though, I'd go with the Akubra.

MattJH

One Too Many
In your price range, go Akubra, definitely. If you prefer the dimensions of the Jaxon Bogart over the Akubra Federation, then simply go for an Akubra with closer dimensions to the Jaxon. Akubras come in all shapes and sizes, and the Akubra Federation and Jaxon Bogart are completely different hats.

Did you know that Akubra makes a Bogart model? Maybe you'd prefer that!

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
Hi Guys,

I have the 'Bogart' and it is a wonderful looking and sharp hat, I have the grey color and it seems to go well anywhere.

Cheers,

Jack Traeger

New in Town
Making a decision

I've owned numerous hats,various brands over the decades, even
Stetsons , back when they were better quality. If you're not particular
about a designer brand, I suggest Bailey or Scala. They're good quality
lids at affordable prices. I have a couple of each, and they have sustained
me through several midwestern winters.

Regards,
JT

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Have you been able to try either of them on? One may look better than another on you.

Both are nice hats, but I would personally go with the Akubra. Best quality you can get in a cheaper fur felt.

karol

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Nothing against the new hats, but...

All I can think is, if I've got 150 smackers burning a hole in my pocket, I know as sure as I'm sitting here I can turn that into 3-to-5 quality, killer vintage hats.

And yeah, one or two of them might arrive and not be exactly what I wanted. And, they might all well be. No matter what, though, I end up with more better hats.

If you buy at auction and some don't fit or suit, resell them. With decent pix and a good description you won't lose money, and likely (as I've found out) you'll make a profit.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was looking to compare Akubras, and I didn't find the Federation on either David Morgan or Akubra's website. Have they discontinued it, renamed it, or am I just missing it?

Thanks!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Federation

Mike in Seattle said:
I was looking to compare Akubras, and I didn't find the Federation on either David Morgan or Akubra's website. Have they discontinued it, renamed it, or am I just missing it?

Thanks!
is exclusive to Hatsdirect. Created in conjunction with COW (Club Obi Wan) members as a IJ clone.
If I may suggest? If you are determined to buy new & want a classic styled hat with more modest proportions, you could do worse than the Akubra Swing from Strand Hatters in Sydney.
swing_smokyblue.jpg

I spoke with them last month & it seems as though the hat & shipping from Oz ran right at $125 USD...

MattJH

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
is exclusive to Hatsdirect. Created in conjunction with COW (Club Obi Wan) members as a IJ clone.

It's worth it to mention that the hat Indiana Jones wore is a clone of pre-WWII hats, so the Akubra Federation doesn't have to be worn as an Indiana Jones hat. The Adventurebilts strike me as the opposite -- they seem Indiana-ish no matter what. Granted, I've never held one, but even their logo is in the Indiana Jones style.

I ordered an Akubra Federation just the other day, but in gray. My brown hats are purposefully non-Indiana :)

playitagainsam

New in Town
Thanks for all the replies

Hi again,

I appreciate all of the replies. Seems like a great group of people out there.

I think if I understand correctly from some of the other posts, the dimensions of the Federation are about 2.75 inches at the rear brim and 5 inches at the crown with slightly more than 2.75 inches at the front brim, please forgive my non-metric measure. If someone could confirm this it would be great. And if this is correct I think it's not but an inch higher and three quarters of an inch more brim than my current hat. I'm also guessing that I should be able to wear this hat with my build of 5'10 about 175 with hat size 71/4 without looking too ridiculous.

Also if I bash this hat with the diamond shape or c-crown tapered from the front to the back, could I get a look similar to that Bogart had in the Maltese Falcon?

Thanks for all the words of wisdom

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
playitagainsam; The brind new Federation I have in my closet measure about 2.75 inches of brim rear and sides, and just a tiny bit more in front. The crown will be about 5.5 inches before you bash it, but a diamond or c-crown should bring it down to about 5.

Rick Blaine; That Akubra Swing looks sharp.

Dumbjaw; I think most Adventurebilts are deliberately made to look like an Indy hat. If you get one untruned, open crowned, with an unshaped brim, it's pretty much the same deal as the Federation, just better quality.

NB

MattJH

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
Dumbjaw; I think most Adventurebilts are deliberately made to look like an Indy hat. If you get one untruned, open crowned, with an unshaped brim, it's pretty much the same deal as the Federation, just better quality.

Do they make Adventurebilts in gray?

playitagainsam

New in Town
Thanks NB

That settles it. I'm going to order the Federation in mid-brown at the first of the week when my budget rolls over :)

If it works out ok, I'll get another one in black next month. That should take care of me for a while. I'd like to have an Adventurebilt or custom from Mr. Fawcett, but I have twin six year old boys that are kind of expensive. :) I have a hard time making myself buy things I don't really need.

Thanks again

playitagainsam said:
I have a hard time making myself buy things I don't really need.

Thanks again

Whaddya man you don't really need 'em? You gotta talk to a clergyman or therapist or something to get your sense of priorities straightened out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy