Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depression Era clothing: Cinderella Man?

bshee

New in Town
Hey,

My name is Brian, and I'm new here. I've always been interested in depression era clothing...especially the undershirt with suspenders and khakis combo. My question is where do I get these items? I think the undershirts are called Henleys or GI Wallace Berry undershirts...but I can't seem to find them (they are either $30 an undershirt or come in boxes of 50). Also, where can I get those higher rise khakis that work with suspenders? (I'm also pretty skinny so I can't seem to find pants that are 28 to 30 in waist size). Lastly, what kinds of shoes would I wear to match this...working boots?

cinderella-man-2.jpg

This is an example of what I'm talking about (though I'm more interested in the long sleeve version of that undershirt)

PS. What were the name of the hats worn back then? Were they the newsboy caps or ivy caps?

Thanks,
Brian

bshee

New in Town
Here is a clearer look at the undershirt i'm talking about...

425.pitt.assasination.100506.jpg

Are those just regular dress pants he's wearing?

This is from "The assassination of Jesse James"

Brian

ukali1066

Practically Family
I'm sorry I can't help you with the clothes, but caps of that era are a fetish of mine :)
Russell Crowe wore a great one in that movie, look also at George Clooney's in O brother where art thou, Sean Connery's in the Untouchables, and Robert Deniro's in the Godfather II.

The style of cap that is typical of that era has many names nowadays...I'm sure guys back then just called them caps !

Look for Gatsby, Newsboy, Apple cap, Eight panel....I'm sure there are more names...

Put those names in an ebay search, look for your size and the world's your oyster ;)

It's a bit of a gamble and you may buy a couple that won't suit your face, size/cut etc...no problem, just offer them for sale on here, I'm sure someone will like your rejects.

Once you find that perfect cap it becomes like an old friend.

texasgirl

One Too Many
The guys probably have more knowledge on this but I do know about this men's pants pattern:
http://www.evadress.com/1141PR.html

And I would think just about any store would have those henleys- my husband got one at Kohl's the other day but I'd imagine even Target and Walmart would have them.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Some high-rise khaki suggestions here.

The henley type undershirts you see all over the place. American Apparel even sell them, although probably in pink and lime green. But mostly these are to be worn over denim jeans.

The sort of thing you're looking for is longer and intended to be tucked into trousers. I've bought a couple from here in the past, but they only seem to have a short sleeve version at the moment.

As for the Pitt pants, you'll find something similar at the many Western outfitters online. Try here and here for starters.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
The Undershirt...

Here are a few shots of the style of undershirt worn by Russell Crowe. I found a few boxes of them at Hirsch's. I sold them, along with 99% of the clothes, to a movie wardrobe company. (They were interested for obvious reasons.)

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

DSC01000.jpg

bshee

New in Town
Wow, that's awesome! This place is truly a goldmine of information.
BTW if anybody is interested, here are the GI wallace berry undershirts (basically what Pitt is wearing i believe...not totally sure, can someone verify?) for $3 a shirt...but you must buy 50 of them, and they are in extra small.

http://www.outinstyle.com/p-/WH6570.html

Also, how do you make regular belt style pants into suspender style? And if you are buying a pair of pants that was made for suspenders, should you get a size larger? Or maybe a size smaller?

Brian

Creeping Past

One Too Many
bshee said:
Also, how do you make regular belt style pants into suspender style? And if you are buying a pair of pants that was made for suspenders, should you get a size larger? Or maybe a size smaller?

Brian

There are three ways of doing this.

1. Buy clip-on suspenders
2. Sew buttons for suspenders on the waistband, either facing in or facing out

The trouble with this is that if you go for option 1 and there's not enough of a rise from the crotch to the waist, you'll end up singing soprano or looking like a hillbilly, or both. :eek: And 2 will probably look messy.

3. Buy trousers with a high waist in your size

There are many threads dealing with high-waisted trousers.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
johnnyphi said:
The detail work on this shirt is incredible. They certainly don't make them like this anymore.

DSC01006-3.jpg

DSC01006-Neck.jpg

DSC01006-close.jpg

Thanks JP I am surprised the Japanese have not repo'd these undershirts...look at the manufacturing quality!:eek: :p

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Similar undershirts are still made- half buttoning front and fashioned cuffs-
the one I have is cotton and viscose(I think).
A cotton blend, anyway- very soft.

Ooh- I just remembered- I also have a couple of similar undershirts, military,
'40s I'm guessing and they're quite coarse and scratchy.
I think they are a blend of wool and cotton.

This type of undershirt are very comfortable and quite practical- perfect under
that Fair isle tank top, with the high rises from Old Town.

B
T

bshee

New in Town
Ah, I see what you are saying

this is probably more like it:
http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=579250

I actually have a similar short sleeve version of the henley (except it has a pen pocket on the chest) from Taiwan (it is still worn by the older folk there). I'll post picks when I find my camera.
I am still figuring out where to get the long sleeve one, I'll check out kohl's and such when I can.

Thanks a lot,
Brian

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I bought mine about 7 years ago, in London, at an interesting shop called Lawrence Corner,
at Tottenham Court Rd but it's moved now.

For instance- look on "the auction site"-
Not allowed to make a link but here's a clue...
"High Cross 3 button Undershirt/Vest Short Sleeve 42"

Here's another- (220283529791)

He's a member here.

B
T

Burnsie

cookie said:
Thanks JP I am surprised the Japanese have not repo'd these undershirts...look at the manufacturing quality!:eek: :p

They have - Buzz Rickson calls it the 3 button undershirt and make them in white and black - very cool contrast stitching on the black one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner