Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Different kinds of back packs

TidiousTed

Practically Family
11064_rs_thumb.jpg

The Norwegian pack is actually called “ryggsekk” in Norwegian which means rucksack. “Meis” is the Norwegian name for the aluminium frame, not the whole pack. I have several of these, even one with a new sack made during wwII from an old tent. New heavy cotton cloth was hard to come by in those days.

bailout

New in Town
My back is aching just looking at the picture ;) I think I still have a pack frame similar to the bottom right somewhere.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It depends on how you load them up. Into my 30s, I just carried a good old 1944 Army issue pack, with the sleeping bag wrapped around the top. Worked fine, but you couldn't carry all the modern comforts, like inflatable bed, inclosed tent, stove and so forth, just the basics.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have to say, having used external frame and internal frame packs. I don't think there is a comparison. Sure the olde ones might look good, but this is one place I stand with modernity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner