Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Denim Type I, II and III Jackets Look Like Cowboy / Cattle Rustler / Ranch Hand Cosplay?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Given all the recent discussion about denim jackets and my indelible penchant for controversy -- :p -- I thought I would light a match. Do Type I, II and III denim jackets evoke visions of cowboys, cattle rustlers and/or ranch hands? Are they borderline cosplay? Or, have these styles transcended their origins and broken the cowboy / cattle rustler / ranch hand association?

Denim jeans have a similar origin, but denim jeans long ago shed their cowboy / ranch hand association. That said, Type I-III jackets are no where near as mainstream as denim jeans, and have not been as widely embraced.

I personally cannot see past the cowboy/cattle rustler/ranch hand origins of these jackets and, when I see someone wearing a Type I-III jacket, I cannot help but think cowboy. This is the primary reason why I have never purchased a Type I, II or III jacket.

Whatcha think? Is a Type I, II or III denim jacket still inextricably linked to cowboys, cattle rustlers and ranch hands, or have these jackets transcended their origins?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
People will make joke, where do you park your truck?:p

I dont think it will make you like a rancher or cowboy, there is western shirt and cowboy boots, oval belt buckle and hat that make you a more successful cosplayer than denim jacket.

I’d say they do in the same way cross zips ooze blue oyster, cr’s ooze Euro trash and half belts ooze old man, flight jackets ooze top gun, etc...
If it’s not a North Face poly fleece...there’s likely some association other than a guy who doesn’t care about his clothes.
D91D141A-973D-48D3-BE5F-E00A5A77F76E.jpeg
0FB89886-7AA4-43EF-B83E-210BE89C06DD.jpeg
4C7AA1ED-6851-4EF7-93EB-225316C4BA02.jpeg

Last edited:

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
It was kinda a hippy thing in the late 60s early 70s to wear a "Jean Jacket" (Levi's Type III). I hitchhiked from Albuquerque to Miami in 1973 wearing one. I had to tuck my long hair up under my Resistol straw hat.

Yeah, those d*** dirty hippies:
IMG_1051.JPG
(University, all hemp, hair grown out only about half way at time of pic)

Nah. By the 80s, they were everywhere.

They look totally 80s, though. At least the Type III and the 101J do.

Getting back on topic, as a kid of the 80s I clearly remember having a jean jacket growing up, and as such I too tend to associate it with more mainstream fashion of that decade as well. Obviously not the high end articles that are discussed and worn here, so perhaps I'm associating apples and oranges. Nevertheless, 80s is what comes to mind for me and not cowboy.

While doing some house cleaning several months ago I found a Levi denim jacket ("Trucker"/Type III with "hand warmer" pockets) that I don't remember buying. It's my size, so I washed it and started wearing it; on colder nights, with a hooded sweat jacket under it for extra warmth. I've never really cared about what people whom I don't know think about me so I couldn't care less if they see me and make associations with cowboys/truckers/hippies/bikers/whatever, or whether or not that even happens. I like it, so I wear it. Simple as that.

Mich486

One Too Many
Definitely not in Europe. Type I and II are not mainstream but type III have been everywhere for a while and keep being in and out of fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, those d*** dirty hippies:
View attachment 160866
(University, all hemp, hair grown out only about half way at time of pic)

Getting back on topic, as a kid of the 80s I clearly remember having a jean jacket growing up, and as such I too tend to associate it with more mainstream fashion of that decade as well. Obviously not the high end articles that are discussed and worn here, so perhaps I'm associating apples and oranges. Nevertheless, 80s is what comes to mind for me and not cowboy.
That is the happiest photo of Jesus I've ever seen.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Not at all in my view. I think the leepro jackets can give off the vibe a little (though I still like it), but a Levi's repro? Not at all. I have never thought that.

zebedee

One Too Many
I reckon that denim jackets look far better on women than men, but I have buddies who can pair a denim jacket with a pair of beige jean/chino things and look un-cowboy. Denim jackets probably fall into the same category as leather jackets in terms of 'maybe-wannabe'. Maybe only a Carhartt or a pea coat makes one totally safe. I'll wear my bashed-up Highwayman anyway; the only time I had a negative jokey remark, I said I'd had it for years, it was really comfortable and I wasn't going to stop wearing it just because someone didn't like it. People can't even get away with a flannel shirt these days...

Given all the recent discussion about denim jackets and my indelible penchant for controversy -- :p -- I thought I would light a match. Do Type I, II and III denim jackets evoke visions of cowboys, cattle rustlers and/or ranch hands? Are they borderline cosplay? Or, have these styles transcended their origins and broken the cowboy / cattle rustler / ranch hand association?

Denim jeans have a similar origin, but denim jeans long ago shed their cowboy / ranch hand association. That said, Type I-III jackets are no where near as mainstream as denim jeans, and have not been as widely embraced.

I personally cannot see past the cowboy/cattle rustler/ranch hand origins of these jackets and, when I see someone wearing a Type I-III jacket, I cannot help but think cowboy. This is the primary reason why I have never purchased a Type I, II or III jacket.

Whatcha think? Is a Type I, II or III denim jacket still inextricably linked to cowboys, cattle rustlers and ranch hands, or have these jackets transcended their origins?

They really, honestly don't.

As a matter of fact, I would go as far as to say that the Type-2/3 is the most casual, non-statement piece of a classically/repro styled outerwear you can wear.

I mean, I associate it more with punks, metalheads, skinheads and West than with cowboys and ranchers.
kanye-west-double-denim.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo