Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Still Use "Golden Age" Products?

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Elnett hairspray. :)

elnett.jpg

russa11

One of the Regulars
Here are a few pictures of products that were used in the 1940's. I took these pictures at a museum in New Hampshire called Strawberry Bank. This was in a store that was around during the war. It's part of the museum now:

store.jpg

soap.jpg

coffee.jpg

blades.jpg

cereal2.jpg

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Nice Photos, thanks. I grew up in Garden Grove and I remember some of the small town feel we once had. There were small Mom and Pop shops that still survived until the early 60s. They are all gone save one called Zlakets Mkt on the old Main St.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Dismuke- White Castle hamburgers were something I used to crave when I lived in Georgia, folks would say "Krystals are the same thing" but there aren't!
Every trip home to Kentucky included a stop at White Castle.

Jovan

Suspended
Miss Neecerie said:
I was reading a stack of Modern Priscilla magazines from the 20's and you can all now use Tums in full confidence that it makes you even more -vintage-. lol
It's also quite vintage to fry potatoes in lard, smoke because it's good for you, not wear enough protective gear in sports, and use Lysol for "feminine hygiene."

God, no wonder people didn't live as long back then.

fernande

Vendor
Thank you so much for the cost of living calculator!!
I have always wondered such things- especially when I buy "deadstock" vintage clothing and I see the prices and wonder how they would compare for today.
My father has a menu from The Brown Derby- totally cool, but made even more cool by the fact its autographed by Groucho Marx himself (who was dining in the booth- next to my father and his parents)
I remember seeing that Steak was $6.00
I think this was 1949 -51 era... but I'll have to ask him exactly

:eek:fftopic: I just laugh that he said groucho was surrounded by a blonde, a brunette and a redhead- of course- we would expect no less!

The costliness of food back in the day surpised me- my mother's side of the family were farmers- and money was tight- I remember her telling me a story of a journey from Minnesota to Seattle in the late 40s- and how they had to pack everything to eat for the journey, and how carefully packed and planned all their amazinig "home cooked" treats were-because stopping at cafes and such, just wasn't an option for them. Now with this handy calculator, I can see why! yikes!

Dismuke said:
Here is a good benchmark - the old song "Living In The Sunlight, Loving In The Moonlight" which Maurice Chevalier introduced in 1930 and was recorded by a number of popular dance bands at the time. (You can watch Chevalier perform it here courtesy of a friend of mine who has uploaded it to YouTube) It is a very nice and snappy song and I understand it has enjoyed a revival of sorts in recent years in a television cartoon - though I haven't seen the revival to say whether it does the song any justice. Anyhow, part of the lyrics go:

"Haven't got a lot,
I don't need a lot
Coffee's only a dime"

Well, according to that Cost of Living calculator I linked to, that dime cup of coffee in 1930 would cost $1.23 today - and as the Depression deepened, the 1933 price went up to $1.58. Yes, you can buy a cup of coffee for $1.23 today - but there are plenty of places where you can get it for quite a bit less than that and one couldn't say one "only" paid $1.23 for it.

Back then, soda pop cost a nickel. In 1930, a nickel was about 62 cents in today's US currency. Sounds reasonable - except when one remembers that the standard sized soda pop back then for a name brand such as Coca Cola was 6 ounces. That would be equal to paying $1.24 today for a 12 ounce can of pop - which is quite high and usually seen only in vending machines located in places giving them a captive market. For many years Pepsi was a bargain brand and was especially popular with kids because for the same nickel, it came in a 12 ounce bottle. No doubt that people back in the Golden Era would be utterly scandalized if they could have known that it would be commonplace their grandchildren and great grandchildren to down 44 ounce (or larger) "Big Gulp" sizes soda pops.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
fernande said:
My father has a menu from The Brown Derby- totally cool, but made even more cool by the fact its autographed by Groucho Marx himself (who was dining in the booth- next to my father and his parents)

Oh, man, that is so cool! I'm a huge Groucho fan and am as envious as can be.

I have Groucho's autograph -- I wrote to him on what turned out to be his last birthday and received a personally inscribed photo in return -- but to have met him at the Brown Derby -- that's just great.

imported_the_librarian

One of the Regulars
RC Cola and a Moon Pie!!!

Nothing Better for lunch!!!

I also remember taking Sunday drives with my folks growing up and stopping a country store and getting some baloney and cheese from the case and a pack of crackers.

Good eats!!!

D

DeaconKC

Corn Flakes
Bon Ami
Hoppe's #9 [gun cleaner]
Colgate
glass bottle milk
Winchester and Remington ammo
My preferred firearms are still prewar models

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never understood the fixation on White Castle. They were 12¢ each in the mid 60s and you couldn't call them burgers in the true sense. They were little grease balls which we appropriately called "sliders" since they'd slide down your throat. Eeeeugh!
eck22.gif

D

DeaconKC

Awwww, Twitch, you're disrespecting one of the 4 Chicago food groups! The others being pizza, Vienna hot dogs [dragged through the garden] and french fries!

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
I sure do... here's my list...
Royal Crown pomade
Murray's Superior pomade
Lucky Tiger pomade
Sweet Georgia Brown pomade
Witch hazel
Pinaud Clubman aftershave
Pinaud Talc
Safety razor

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
here are just a few;
revlon
camay soap
coty's airspoon powder
elnett hairspray
pon's cold-cream
max-factor pan-cake
colgate :D
maxwell coffee
kellogs all-bran

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Dismuke said:
Whenever I am visiting New York City, I always make it a point to get my fix of White Castle burgers.
Man, I miss WC! I grew up in New Jersey, and no matter where you are there, you're never far from a White Castle. Now I want one. Or twelve.
In the photos of the little grocery, I love the box of "Cheerioats". Never knew...

jayem

A-List Customer
KY Gentleman said:
Dismuke- White Castle hamburgers were something I used to crave when I lived in Georgia, folks would say "Krystals are the same thing" but there aren't!
Every trip home to Kentucky included a stop at White Castle.

There's a White Castle down the block from me. In fact, I just had their chicken rings tonite. Didn't know chicken actually came in a ring...

I won't use anything but Lux soap on my face. The old fashioned white bar.
-Bon Ami
-Spic and Span
-Borax
-Fels-Naptha
-Coty Airspun powder
-Jiffy mixes. They make the BEST fudge frosting.
-Del Monte canned goods

We get Oberweis milk, which is still delivered by a milkman and comes in glass bottles. If you return the bottles, you get 10 cents, so it's almost a win-win situation.

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
I use and have,

Coca Cola
Moon Pies
Black And White Genuine Pluko Pomade
Sweet Georgia Brown
Clubman After Shave
Cheerios
Corn Flakes
Moxie (gotta love that after taste!)
Quaker Oats on the cardboard tube, none of that instant shit.
Crest
Victrola when nobody's home
no others at the moment, its 2 in the morning....

My mom uses Chanel #5 on occasion [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk