Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear all your hats the same way?

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
And I'm mostly speaking of fedoras. For instance, my Bond and Stetson I wear canted to the left as they seem to look much better on me that way, but my Dobbs, Merrimac and Koko I cant to the right. Now, they're all symmetrical as I'm very meticulous about such things, but wonder why they all don't look or feel right when worn in the same direction, either left or right. I mean it's not really an issue, what looks good, looks good, but it just seems strange. Does anyone else do this too? lol Am I making sense?

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I cock my only hat to the right or back depending on the situation. In a few months we'll see if hat #2 gets differential treatment.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I start out, and prefer, my hat to be situated a touch to the right and a bit forward but through the course of time (and wind) the placement will vary.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I seem to let the hat make the decision for me. I've kept the bash pretty much the same as I got it on the hats I've recently won on Ebay. The Disney came with a slant bash, which looks very rakish. The Knox definitely gets a real Spencer Tracy tilt to it. Every time I put it on I give it a little sideways tug. I feel as if for a brief moment Spencer Tracy is inhabiting my body. The new Open Road seems to feel natural perfectly flat, no tilt at all.
So it all depends. Interesting question.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear my hats straight from side to side and usually from front to back though the front to back can vary, for example if I'm in a car with a high seatback and my hat hits it. That way the amount of snap in the front brim determines how low the hat actually looks.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, this subject seems familiar - but good nonetheless.

Most fedoras get the old "Southside Slide", tipped closer to my left brow than my right.

I try to keep a hat level from front to back and resist the temptation to bring the brim too far down in front as that looks funny in profile.

Open Roads, and the like, usually get less sideways tilt and full fledged westerns gotta' be level - unless you're Buffalo Bill!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
I try to keep a hat level from front to back and resist the temptation to bring the brim too far down in front as that looks funny in profile.

And not only that: a forward-down tilted brim, especially a broad cowboy one, removes a huge slice of visibility out of the sky; beware approaching low branches, balconies or other suchlike obstacles. Ask me how I know! That being said, I never look at my profile lol

But, back to topic, I bring the (cowboy, open road) brim down, a bit, whereas the true fedora or homburg would be more level even, at times, slightly slanted to the left, which I'd never do with a cowboy hat. But slanting it imparts a debonair look, whcih I don't really seek to emulate.

stibbons

New in Town
My only hard and fast rule is that wider-brimmed hats don't get tilted as much as the stingies. Like PabloElFlamenco, I don't think I can pull off the flamboyancy that a huge tilt really demands.

Apart from that, my hat tends to move around on my head depending on my mood, what I'm doing at the time, and the weather.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I typically cock may fedoras to the right. It shows that I like my hats, and I'm wearing them with confidence and I don't take them too seriously. It does cut down on their effectiveness blocking the sun though. That's for fedoras though. Cocking western hats would probably be a bad idea.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I wear my hats however they feel right. The result tends to look right, so I must be onto something.

The best way to wear a hat, I find, is to allow your own instincts and the hat itself to find where it belongs. Small differences in the hat style, measurements, and even the sweatband/"hole" will all play a part.

Duck

Practically Family
Depends on the hat

Westerns - down in back
Most of my fedoras - slight tilt down and to the right
My Jimmy Pierce and Fed - level

I have noticed that the tighter the fit of the hat, the more tilt and rake I tend to apply [huh] [huh]

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Mine tend to lean to the right a bit. My hats almost touch my right ear and are acouple inches above the left normally. The more comfortable I have gotten with wearing my lids the more tilted I tend to wear them.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy