Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doc Martens 1490 Boots

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Thinking about buying a pair of mens Doc Martens 1490 boots in their "Cherry Red" color. I like the color because it can be worn with both browns and blacks however, the color is a little too red and bright. I would like to tone them down a bit by using a cordovan shoe cream (don't want to use dye) but, not sure it would work or if there is a downside. Any guidance anyone could provide would be appreciated.:)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got 1461 Made in England - the shoes in cherry - and did exactly what you've described. At first, it didn't do much, so I used a stiffer hair brush. This made for all sorts of small nicks and lines in the shoes (which you would never notice) that the cordovan polish found and filled. Since then, I've had people ask me if they're Docs from the 60s because of the antiqued look. I don't think I'd go that far, but it certainly dulled them down enough to where they don't glow red.

foggy16

New in Town
funny thing is the current look of Docs has only been around for the last 20 to 25 years. Docs from the 60s would look nothing like Docs fo today. Also might add it is very hard to find early 80s or older docs. they have been around forever but rarely do you see any that are not in the newer style that started 20 to 25 years ago.

Here is the oldest pair that I personally have ever found. I estimate them to be late 60s or early 70s

2007_12200007.jpg

2007_12200005.jpg

2007_12200006.jpg

They were cobranded like most of the older ones

foggy16

New in Town
sorry I got so farr off track, just wanted to comment on the differences in vintage and modern Docs. I should say I am sure that there are some combat boots in their history since the military is where they got their start but I have never seen any.

foggy16

New in Town
I see that they say that they are the exact same as the ones that rolled off in 1960, but has anyone ever seen a pair of this style that were made before the 1980's. Maybe it is because most were released in the UK and maybe it would be more plentiful there but still you would think they would show up on Ebay UK. In the early 1980s The sole labeling changed to the box with the 6 resistances in it and a solid cross beside it. Before that it was a Cross outline with writing in it and a box of 5 resistences. I have tried to study Docs but find it so hard to find anything pre mid 1980's that it is really hard to get any reaal knowledge built up.

kyboots

Practically Family
Thinking about buying a pair of mens Doc Martens 1490 boots in their "Cherry Red" color. I like the color because it can be worn with both browns and blacks however, the color is a little too red and bright. I would like to tone them down a bit by using a cordovan shoe cream (don't want to use dye) but, not sure it would work or if there is a downside. Any guidance anyone could provide would be appreciated.:)
Polo those are good looking boots. Be sure and send some pics when wearing them. John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy