Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does my dream hat exist?

Russ

One of the Regulars
Here is my dream hat:

crown height: 6 inches (15.24 centimeters) with straight sides
bound brim, around 3 inches wide
matching grosgrain ribbon band around 1 1/8 inch wide
soft felt open crown (I'll settle for stiff bashed crown since I can soften it)
very dark brown or charcoal brown

Does anybody make this hat? Would I just have to have one custom made? The Akubra Bushman comes close, but I'd like to get closer if I can.

I plan on giving it a diamond bash like that of my ancestor in the ancestor hat thread.

I admit will be surprised if anyone has an answer, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Russ

One of the Regulars
No replies? I'm not surprised.

I've done a bit of searching and had a few e-mail exchanges since I posted this question yesterday, and there does seem to be one hat that seems to fit the bill. It's this one:

http://www.cowpokehats.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=D8288

Apparently they can make the brim in my preferred size, and all the other specs are already there, or close enough. The crown is straight sided, and 6 1/2 inches high which I was personally hoping for but did not dare to ask (the taller, the merrier). Comes in chocolate brown, too. It looks like a beauty, the ultimate hat -- for me -- and I'm starting to drool. My ancestor would be proud (of the hat, not the drool). It's a bit more than I had intended to spend, and "shillings have not been so plentiful with me as they once were" so I have to sit down and think this one through.

Russ

One of the Regulars
I hadn't thought of that

Hmmmm, that price does put me within range of one of Art's creations, doesn't it? Thanks for the heads up. I'll send him an e-mail now.

Russ

One of the Regulars
Here it is

This arrived from Art just after Christmas (photo from Art's work bench):

hat_7.jpg

Here is the original photo of my ancestor's hat taken at the end of the 19th century. I sent it to Art for reference:

jacob_hat_detail.jpg

See this thread for mor information on that hat:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13134

I took out Art's original bash which was wonderful but too refined for an old West Virginia farmer's hat, and replaced it with my own crude hand bash.

And here is a photo of me wearing it as I'm viewing the first sunrise of the year in the mountains north west of Tokyo:

hinode07_400.jpg

This is the true color of the hat. At the time of the photo I had taken out the diamon bash and front pinch, but I'm working them back in now.

The brim is 3 inches wide, and the crown is 5 5/8 inches high open crown and about 4 5/8 inches high bashed. I'm glad I did not go with a higher crown. Very soft pure beaver.

That's quite nice, Russ. Aren't you glad you heeded Sharpy's advice and went with an Art custom instead of that Beaver Brand lid you were considering? Nothing "wrong" with those lids, but I can't imagine that they're anything near the value of an all-beaver felt Vintage Silhouettes custom.
The more "open" crown looks good in that shot, by the way. To echo photobyalan, I'm confident you'll be enjoying that hat for years and years to come.

Wconly

Familiar Face
Wow! What a match! Very impressive indeed! I am very happy for you! Enjoy and wear the daylights out of it!...perhaps, at some point you will be able to pass it on to a loved one, who without question will love it as much as you do...a piece of family history -- reborn! Good stuff all the way around! W>

Johnnysan

One Too Many
When I saw the dimensions you cited in your first post, I thought "Man, that's one big hat!" But seeing it on you has put all doubt to rest. It looks absolutely perfect! Congratulations, Russ. :eusa_clap

Russ

One of the Regulars
Art's bash

The official color is chocolate.

Here are photos of Art's bash which was a real work of art (hmmm, that made me sound downright witty):

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

Some might consider it a terrible waste to undo it, but I preferred a crude hand bash with a flat top since that was what I had envisioned from the beginning. I'm very happy with the results.

Anyway these photos will preserve the memory of that original bash.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Another artistic creation by the Master Hatter himself . I'm always impressed how Art can create a hat from a picture or description and get it right time after time .
His hats are worth the money at any price !!

Steven
www.bencraft.com

Simply fabulous!

That hat really came together beautifully, both dimensionally and color ways, for an outstanding look that fits you so well. What is also nice is you can play with the bash on this hat without worry and get it "just so" for a while and turn around and do another work up later.

Best wishes for a lifetime of fun and adventure in that hat!

Another Art Fawcett success story! :eusa_clap

Sincerely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner