Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your name date you?

EstherWeis

Vendor
Well,
We have the habit of having 5 names here, don't ask me why.
I'm not bothering you with my full name. :)

Esther was a fashionable name when I was born.
So where double names.
My actual name is Esther Muriel, but no one ever calls me that.
(Thank god! )

I get asked quite a bit if I'm Jewish, but I'm not.

I know at least 4 other Esther's in my generation...

I adore my grandparent's names.
My grandpa's full name was Gaston Casimir but went by Stonne.
(That's as Antwerpian as you can get)
My grandma's was Clara Anna.
Both very typical for that time here in Belgium.

My German family has a bunch of great German names.
My grandpa was a Hans, my grandma was a Julia. My uncles, mother and aunt are very German as well.
Helga,Jutta,Jürgen and Hartmut.

My father's side are all official french names but go by another one.
Since one had to have an official French sounding name in Belgium.
Eduard goes by Ward, Bertin goes by Bert etc.

My sisters names are what they consider standard names of their time.

Well,
We have the habit of having 5 names here, don't ask me why.
I'm not bothering you with my full name. :)

Esther was a fashionable name when I was born.
So where double names.
My actual name is Esther Muriel, but no one ever calls me that.
(Thank god! )

I know at least 4 other Esther's in my generation...

I adore my grandparent's names.
My grandpa's full name was Gaston Casimir but went by Stonne.
(That's as Antwerpian as you can get)
My grandma's was Clara Anna.
Both very typical for that time here in Belgium.

My German family has a bunch of great German names.
My grandpa was a Hans, my grandma was a Julia. My uncles, mother and aunt are very German as well.
Helga,Jutta,Jürgen and Hartmut.

My father's side are all official french names but go by another one.
Since one had to have an official French sounding name in Belgium.
Eduard goes by Ward, Bertin goes by Bert etc.

My sisters names are what they consider standard names of their time.

I can't speak for others, but if you are willing, I'd love to hear the five part name which would make you the only five-part-name person I'd know. My dad thought middle names were nonsense (he had strong opinions about everything) so I have two names - my Christian name and my surname - and that's it.

EstherWeis

Vendor
I can't speak for others, but if you are willing, I'd love to hear the five part name which would make you the only five-part-name person I'd know. My dad thought middle names were nonsense (he had strong opinions about everything) so I have two names - my Christian name and my surname - and that's it.

Well, your dad is right :)
I can't figure out why on earth we have 5 names, since we aren't religious or anything.
My full name is Esther Muriel Gerda Guido Alexander Weis.
That is a mouthful right?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You must have a special issue, oversized driver's license, Esther. :)

Dorothy, Edith, Katherine, Grace, Clarence, Mamie, Oliver, Frank, Merle, Elden, Thomas-- all names from my family from people born pre-1930. They had nicknames like Tootle, Huntsley, and Poppy.

My uncle John Daniels, of course, carried the lifelong nickname "Jack." and of course, he drank the stuff.

Well, your dad is right :)
I can't figure out why on earth we have 5 names, since we aren't religious or anything.
My full name is Esther Muriel Gerda Guido Alexander Weis.
That is a mouthful right?

That is so crazy, it's awesome. It's a name from an Ayn Rand novel - like her character "Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastián d'Anconia."

My other thought was does anyone ever say "God Bless you" after you say your full name? :)

Thank you for sharing - you are a good sport.

Last edited:
d'Anconia? or are you referring to the clock company? ;)

Since I don't have that full name in memory (thankfully), I copied and pasted it and, my guess, spell check changed it as I (clearly) didn't proof carefully. "Francisco..." used to hold the tile for "biggest mouthful of a name," but Esther might have have topped that as hers is a real-life one.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I supposed as much. I've ended up posting far, far more risible things after a bout with Auto-correct. Actually, I think that the character's name may have been suggested to Miss Rand by the association with the clock company, which of course was founded as a subsidiary of the Ansonia Brass and Copper Company, a firm which traded until recently as Phelps, Dodge, & Co.
Or perhaps it ended up as a portmanteau of "Ansonia" and "Anaconda", another major non-ferrous metals firm with large interests in Chile and Peru. Naturally, although the mining concessions were in reality controlled by European and American capital, for the purposes of the book it would just not do to have a South American mining magnate with a surname like "Guggenheim", 'Phelps" or "Hanna".

Last edited:
I supposed as much. I've ended up posting far, far more risible things after a bout with Auto-correct. Actually, I think that the character's name may have been suggested to Miss Rand by the association with the clock company, which of course was founded as a subsidiary of the Ansonia Brass and Copper Company, a firm which traded until recently as Phelps, Dodge, & Co.
Or perhaps it ended up as a portmanteau of "Ansonia" and "Anaconda", another major non-ferrous metals firm with large interests in Chile and Peru. Naturally, although the mining concessions were in reality controlled by European and American capital, for the purposes of the book it would just not do to have a South American mining magnate with a surname like "Guggenheim", 'Phelps" or "Hanna".

That's some smart insight into the origin of his name as my guess is you are right and the name didn't just spring forth fully formed from her imagination. Names are one of those things that she clearly put much thought into as you don't come up with Francisco..., Ragnar Danneskjold, Ellsworth Toohey or Domonique Francon - to name just a few - with casual effort.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's some smart insight into the origin of his name as my guess is you are right and the name didn't just spring forth fully formed from her imagination. Names are one of those things that she clearly put much thought into as you don't come up with Francisco..., Ragnar Danneskjold, Ellsworth Toohey or Domonique Francon - to name just a few - with casual effort.

Fred Allen was the king of names in the Era -- Sinbad Brittle, Faulkner Q. Pinghree, Kenny Dank, Fallstaff Openshaw, Ossip Knothole, Pansy Nussbaum, Titus Moody, Socrates Mulligan, the list goes on and on. Allen was nonplussed when "Sinbad Brittle" turned out to be a real person, who accosted him on the beach in Maine one day and demanded to know who sent in his name.

EstherWeis

Vendor
That is so crazy, it's awesome. It's a name from an Ayn Rand novel - like her character "Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastián d'Anconia."

My other thought was does anyone ever say "God Bless you" after you say your full name? :)

Thank you for sharing - you are a good sport.

Well, I introduce myself as Esther ;)

The full name is only on official documents.
They do say all of them at your wedding, and they have to say them about 4 times. It was hard not to start laughing, since the mister only has 2.
Even the officiant started to crack up the last time she said all of them.

It's not that unusual to have that many names here.
Mine is just one more since my parents couldn't decide.
My mother was the only one that ever called me Muriel, and even she stopped after a while.

Well, in southern countries people do have 2 last names, mother and then father's last name.
So that can end up being a mouthful as well.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Don't you find that kind of impertinence annoying? Both you and your husband have biblical names that could be construed as Jewish, so what? The way some people question others, it gets me so cross, what does it matter what you are? And why does that kind of question always come with a tone of voice that implies that Jews, or any other ethnic race are some sort of head shrinkers. Tina and I were at a 40th birthday party, held on a Sunday afternoon, so that families could attend, it was many years ago. The kitchen had been turned into a makeshift creche but nobody really did anything to amuse the kids, so I kept them busy with card tricks and various silly games. Almost every parent there said: "Oh you would make a great Dad." A harmless remark, probably meant as a compliment, but inwardly I found it very impertinent.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
In naming customs, from the 17th to 19th centuries, Old Testament names were very common for boys. Think Isaac Newton, Abraham Lincoln, Samuel Adams and so forth. After the beginning of the 20th they dropped off for gentiles except for a few: David, Jonathan, Joseph among some others, but those were also the names of Christian saints. From the early 20th on, an Old Testament name often indicated that you were Jewish while a Minor Prophet name or one of the more obscure Old Testament figures, meant either Jewish or a member of a rural fundamentalist or African American church: Amos, Nahum, Zebediah, Jeremiah, Zebulon, Boaz, Hiram, Omri, Nimrod and others. For some reason, nobody ever names a son Cain. Recently, these obscure OT names have been making a comeback. I know a boy named Caleb and there are a couple of Joshuas hereabout. I have yet to encounter a Jehosaphat.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Don't you find that kind of impertinence annoying? Both you and your husband have biblical names that could be construed as Jewish, so what? The way some people question others, it gets me so cross, what does it matter what you are? And why does that kind of question always come with a tone of voice that implies that Jews, or any other ethnic race are some sort of head shrinkers. Tina and I were at a 40th birthday party, held on a Sunday afternoon, so that families could attend, it was many years ago. The kitchen had been turned into a makeshift creche but nobody really did anything to amuse the kids, so I kept them busy with card tricks and various silly games. Almost every parent there said: "Oh you would make a great Dad." A harmless remark, probably meant as a compliment, but inwardly I found it very impertinent.

Well, it does sound pretty Jewish, so can't blame them really.
But I see what you mean. There can be a certain tone involved. But not intentional most of the time.
I just politely go no I'm not.

People can be pretty clueless, some will blurt out everything without thinking of the consequences.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In naming customs, from the 17th to 19th centuries, Old Testament names were very common for boys. Think Isaac Newton, Abraham Lincoln, Samuel Adams and so forth. After the beginning of the 20th they dropped off for gentiles except for a few: David, Jonathan, Joseph among some others, but those were also the names of Christian saints. From the early 20th on, an Old Testament name often indicated that you were Jewish while a Minor Prophet name or one of the more obscure Old Testament figures, meant either Jewish or a member of a rural fundamentalist or African American church: Amos, Nahum, Zebediah, Jeremiah, Zebulon, Boaz, Hiram, Omri, Nimrod and others. For some reason, nobody ever names a son Cain. Recently, these obscure OT names have been making a comeback. I know a boy named Caleb and there are a couple of Joshuas hereabout. I have yet to encounter a Jehosaphat.

My nephew's a Caleb, and there's a Zebulon among our theatre-staff alumni club. My memory being what it is, I used to occasionally call him Zechariah, Zerubbabel, and Zebu. Fortunately, Zebulon has a sense of humor.

I always thought "Nimrod" was a bad choice for a name -- "a mighty hunter in opposition to the LORD." It's like naming a little girl Jezebel, who was thrown from a balcony to be eaten by wild dogs. If you're going to use Bible names, it's a good idea to brush up on your Bible first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana