Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress like a Swell!!! (NEW 'Dressed to the Nines' Gents reading list).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Chaps, I was forever scratching my head pondering..."WHERE on earth do I get a reading list on WHERE to find jackets, HOW to wear them...WHAT to wear WITH them...etc:eusa_doh: "

And there was a time, when I thought that a BIG MAC was a burger!! Now I know it's a Burberry!! And 'thankfully' NOW I know that A CUFF is 'no longer' a clip around the head!! OUCH!!

Hopefully, this little reading list in the Stickies (see at the TOP of the Jacket Room list - 'short cut link' at the end of this piece) will help 'you' become more aware of your own dress sense, as it has helped me.

I will be adding to it from time-to-time, as new books become available and are suggested.

Bon Voyage...on your learning journey!! :eusa_clap

DRESS LIKE A SWELL..!!

tyronepowersmed.jpg

movies060717_1_560.jpg

m198602700009.jpg

c-3320w20cary20grant202.jpg

0802_0048.jpg

aviator-01_l-1.jpg

errolflynn3.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos026.jpg

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Good list of books Paddy. I have two from your list -: 'Dressing The Man' by Alan Flusser and 'The Gentlemans Guide To Grooming And Style'

Great for tips on many issues, what goes with what etc. Although usually to be found in an A2 and Bills Khakis, I do occasionally 'dress up'. For some reason though, I've never felt at ease when wearing a suit and tie etc and I do envy anyone who always seems to look like they shop in Saville Row ! Guess I'm just happy being casual !

Paddy, are we talking strictly about clothing here, or accessories too? Re: the original list, i applaud Flusser's book for it's chapters on pattern mixing and colour combinations. Very good information there. Though his photograph doctoring is a little underhanded, it does get the point across.

If your doing accessories too, two that i think are very useful are:

The Book of Ties David Mosconi and Riccardo Villarosa, put out by Tie Rack a few years ago. I now note that it too is quite rare and expensive. 45 squid on amazon - i just got one in a charity shop for 50p. The photos are a little dated, but for history and "how to tie the obscurer knots, it's great.

The Boutonniere, Style in One's Lapel Umberto Angeloni

For those interested in the history of why we dress how we do, i would recommend:

A History of Men's Fashion Farid Chenoune

Now unfortunately very rare and expensive, though still available in libraries. I was working on a copy for myself, but only got 100 pages in, alas.

bk

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Flusser's "Clothes and the Man" is also good, and I'm looking forward to reading "Style and the Man" over the weekend (I got a near mint first edition, in dustjacket, from Amazon for £4.50 delivered - very pleased.)

Other good resources are Avril Hart's "Ties", published by the Victoria and Albert Museum and (a particular favourite of mine) Woody Hochswender and Kim Johnson Gross' "Men in Style: The Golden Age of Fashion for Esquire" - full of mouthwatering 1930s men's fashion plates from the pages of Esquire, plus the original copy and some intelligent commentary from the two authors.

I think this one could also be instructive for one interested in Edwardian style:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fashion-Cen...86263533/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2/026-7917296-4241207

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Gents! and another thing on passing...

This is the JACKET ROOM, but a Jacket without the dressings (eg: tie, pocket square..etc) is like a fine 30's Schooner without a sail. It's ONLY half dressed.

So, when I have the time (as to do this right will take some time and elbow grease), I shall create some complimentary Sticky Sections to this one, on things such as tie types, knots, pins, pocket squares and shapes...etc).

HOW does that grab you...? (is it worth the effort....? or a waste of time).

Feraud

Bartender
This is a cool book. I bought a used copy at The Strand in NYC in '99 for 25 bucks. Lots of pics and knot styles.
Baron Kurtz said:
The Book of Ties David Mosconi and Riccardo Villarosa, put out by Tie Rack a few years ago. I now note that it too is quite rare and expensive. 45 squid on amazon - i just got one in a charity shop for 50p. The photos are a little dated, but for history and "how to tie the obscurer knots, it's great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany