Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Beautiful car, and you can never go wrong with a larger sedan!

Hi again, I will second the advantage of having a large car, you have so much more room. Here is a snap of when the "Queen Mary" first arrived at my place after a better than 20 year sleep under a car cover in a barn. (I should add that my brother in law was sick about his cars up north going to seed, but he could not both take car of his mom and his cars up north at the farm. The cars he has now are squeaky clean.) You can see that she barely fit on the trailer, and it took them more that three hours to get her to my place. You can also see where I had to start from on the cleaning job. Here is also a snap of her very roomy and comfortable back seat. Everyone loves to ride in the back on a nice day or summers evening when you can enjoy the sunset and stars coming out.
DSC01580.jpg

DSC01818.jpg

Something to be said about a full-size back seat. Whenever we take one of my friend's vehicles somewhere, everyone complains that there's no room in back. We took my Cadillac car recently and everyone wanted to sit in the back. They compared it to a limo lol

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Something to be said about a full-size back seat. Whenever we take one of my friend's vehicles somewhere, everyone complains that there's no room in back. We took my Cadillac car recently and everyone wanted to sit in the back. They compared it to a limo lol

I recently had 7 people in her, 4 in the back, 3 in the front when I took friends children out for a spin to get some ice cream, about 10 miles away. The four in the back were my friends kids, of which two were teenage boys, and their two younger sisters, and no one complained about feeling crushed. And to think when she was made, she was advertised as four seater phaeton! With four in the car each person almost has their own zip code. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You could easily set up a card table in front of the back seat in my Plodge. I took some of the kids from work for a ride in it -- kids who had never ridden in anything bigger than an SUV in their lives, and they're still talking about how it's bigger than some of the dorm rooms they've been in.

Says 50,000 on the clock, assuming 150,000.
351 Windsor/automatic.
The interior is very good, almost like new.
AM Radio works, all lights, signals, etc, work.
New radiator, shocks, tires, rebuilt carb, tune up, etc.
The only things that appear inop are the clock, and the gas gauge is finicky.
I drove it back from Madison, which is about 40 minutes of interstate. Cruised at 80, no problem.

What are the details on the 72 Country Squire?
Miles, options, etc.
Looks like it's in good condition.

lol Yes, appears as though the fleet's getting out of hand!

You are way ahead of me. I only have one, the 1965 Lincoln Convertible. Two more and you could drive a different one every day of the week.

Hi All
Auld--- A beautiful Car.. We use to call that a PIMPMOBILE. LOL

Did you have her restored in NJ? I am in need of a good restoration shop in NJ. If you get a chance some pic's of the interior would be great to view.

Thanks for the post.

Best regards
CCJ

Hi All

Hi Atomic--- NICE FIND.. It appears rust free, how does one find a car in WISC without rust? How's the interior look?

Enjoy and thank you Tom.

Best regards
CCJ

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Says 50,000 on the clock, assuming 150,000.
351 Windsor/automatic.
The interior is very good, almost like new.
AM Radio works, all lights, signals, etc, work.
New radiator, shocks, tires, rebuilt carb, tune up, etc.
The only things that appear inop are the clock, and the gas gauge is finicky.
I drove it back from Madison, which is about 40 minutes of interstate. Cruised at 80, no problem.

lol Yes, appears as though the fleet's getting out of hand!

The gas gauge is still an issue on some Ford models that I've dealt with.
In your case it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Older technology is MUCH easier to work on, which is why my streetrod has nothing computerized on it.
Nice aquisition Tom, I know you'll have a good time with it.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Many of you may recall that I've been in the (long) process of restoring my aunt Hazel's 1961 Chevy Bel Air. Well today I took the old car out for a nice long ride. The way I went today took me past the site where the old Clinchfield Elementary school once stood. My aunt taught at that school from 1928 until 1974. She taught the same grade (third), in the same school, and in the same room for all 47 years. Hazel drove her '61 Bel Air to that school from the time she bought the car in November, 1960 until she retired from teaching in June, 1974. As I passed by the site of the old school, it seemed as if the car wanted to pull to the right and park in the same spot where it did for all those years.

I've still got a ways to go before I get it back to the way it once was, but it will be well worth the time and effort. So many good memories are associated with that car.

CCJ,

The car was, from what I am told, garage kept by the original owner, who passed away sometime around 1998-01. It sat for ten years, and then the widow gave it to a guy as payment for cutting some trees down, who in turn sold it to the fella I bought it from. He owned it for 2 years and his wife wanted it gone.

There is some rust in the rockers/quarters, but nothing ungodly bad. Much of it has been repaired already, and looks to have been done well.

The interior is great, even what I believe are the original floor mats are still intact. The only flaw I've noticed so far is that there is a quarter sized hole in the side of the driver's seat.

Hi Atomic--- NICE FIND.. It appears rust free, how does one find a car in WISC without rust? How's the interior look?

Enjoy and thank you Tom.

Best regards
CCJ

I'm hoping to address that, the clock, and the antenna within the next week or so. It is considerably simpler looking than my '90 Colony Park to work on. It's a joy to drive, I wish I planned on keeping it for a long time!

The gas gauge is still an issue on some Ford models that I've dealt with.
In your case it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Older technology is MUCH easier to work on, which is why my streetrod has nothing computerized on it.
Nice aquisition Tom, I know you'll have a good time with it.

Big Man,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car and that it's bringing back great memories for you.

Many of you may recall that I've been in the (long) process of restoring my aunt Hazel's 1961 Chevy Bel Air. Well today I took the old car out for a nice long ride. The way I went today took me past the site where the old Clinchfield Elementary school once stood. My aunt taught at that school from 1928 until 1974. She taught the same grade (third), in the same school, and in the same room for all 47 years. Hazel drove her '61 Bel Air to that school from the time she bought the car in November, 1960 until she retired from teaching in June, 1974. As I passed by the site of the old school, it seemed as if the car wanted to pull to the right and park in the same spot where it did for all those years.

I've still got a ways to go before I get it back to the way it once was, but it will be well worth the time and effort. So many good memories are associated with that car.

BigFitz

Practically Family

Sounds like a good cruise. You're a lucky man.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Hi All

Did you have her restored in NJ? I am in need of a good restoration shop in NJ. If you get a chance some pic's of the interior would be great to view.

Thanks for the post.

Best regards
CCJ

Dear CCJ,
I think for it you qualify for it to be a PIMPMOBILE it would have to have cheetah seat covers, and an eight track playing Isaac Hayes theme music from the movie "Shaft" and his song "If Loving You Is Wrong." I just took some more snaps of her today in front of our home today when I got home from the mechanic. I took some of the interior as you requested. And a few others to give you an appreciation of her length, which is a hair over 18 ft. I hope you enjoy them.
DSC01634-Version2_zpsb113caca.jpg

DSC01639_zps2370cbd9.jpg

DSC01637_zpsb063ff71.jpg

DSC01644_zps87c26217.jpg

DSC01641_zpsb89b1949.jpg

DSC01645_zpsedf43415.jpg

DSC01647_zps91cf6871.jpg

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Hi All

Thanks for the post.

Best regards
CCJ

I have not restored her as yet, I have just cleaned her up and got her going again after a better than 20 year sleep under a car cover in a barn. I will check on a restoration shop in the area that my mechanic recommends, he own a few classics also. Thanks for the compliments on my car.

Talbot

One Too Many
Dear CCJ,
I think for it you qualify for it to be a PIMPMOBILE it would have to have cheetah seat covers, and an eight track playing Isaac Hayes theme music from the movie "Shaft" and his song "If Loving You Is Wrong."

Don't forget the furry white Fedora....

Liking this car a lot. What are you treating the seats with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay