Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

One day I was out in my alley and I heard, what I thought was a truck coming through. When I turned around, it was an 80's Fleetwood Brougham, with the 5.7 diesel, I'm sure.

I've always wanted one of those old diesel eldorados. Yank the boat anchor olds 350 and drop in a 6.2 Detroit from a chevy suburban/truck and youd be seeing mid to high 20s easily.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Better than the Oldsmobile version. We drove a Ninety Eight Regency for awhile with the diesel in it.
We took it to Springdale Arkansas and came to a mountain (the Boston Mountain?), and the dern thing slowed to a crawl.
I remember having to turn off the air, while my dad rolled down the windows.
I bet we weren't doing more than 15mph, and he had it to the floor! :eeek:
Thankfully someone had loaned the car to us, while we had one on order (gas version of course).
Bad idea...bad bad idea.

Much better to have the gas version, especially if it's a mid 70's model with the 455, now that was a powerplant!

Better than the Oldsmobile version. We drove a Ninety Eight Regency for awhile with the diesel in it.
We took it to Springdale Arkansas and came to a mountain (the Boston Mountain?), and the dern thing slowed to a crawl.
I remember having to turn off the air, while my dad rolled down the windows.
I bet we weren't doing more than 15mph, and he had it to the floor! :eeek:
Thankfully someone had loaned the car to us, while we had one on order (gas version of course).
Bad idea...bad bad idea.

Captain Neon

Familiar Face
No engine I've had has had a problem with E15. The high-compression engine in my '68 Camaro loves the stuff. My late father swore by it for his LT-1 powered '69 Corvette.

I am thinking about setting up my '28 Chevy engine to run on E85.

I swear ethanol bashing/"pure gas" seeking is how some fellows make themselves feel like "total gearheads". MTBE is nasty stuff; I like ethanol.

-Dave

I've never had any issues with ethanol-blended gasoline, either. The reason mechanics swear at ethanol is that it loosens up accumulated gunk and then sends it to the injectors, carbs, intakes, and throttle bodies. I'm a little obsessive about maintaining a clean fuel system: fuel system cleaner every 4000 miles, injector cleaner every 2000 miles, and carburetor cleaner if I go on any trip in excess of 200 miles. I use premium petrol in any vehicle that travels less than 300 miles/week, and use Sta-Bil in the lawn mower fuel jug and in the toys stored over winter. Those that have issues with ethanol are those that do not maintain their fuel systems and buy whatever is cheapest.

My '97 Neon had more issues with Arkansas' "pure gas" and had no problems after moving back to Minnesota and went back to Minnesota-mandated E-10.

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
My car is a '58 Metropolitan. Gets 40 mpg city. I don't know the highway mpg because it doesn't like to go over 50 mph. Some engine issues and the steering is a bit wonky. I ride my Triumph to work so the car only gets used when I have to carry someone or something. It is no show car but it becomes a one car show wherever it goes.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The reason mechanics swear at ethanol is that it loosens up accumulated gunk and then sends it to the injectors, carbs, intakes, and throttle bodies.

I can agree with that. The alcohol is a highly effective cleaner.

However, very little of the anti-ethanol rhetoric refers to that characteristic. Most blame it for premature corrosion and the breakdown of fuel-system parts.

It is hard on natural rubber, but that’s just something to be aware of and be prepared for. Few replacement pieces are natural rubber anymore anyway.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm avoiding ethanol in the Plodge because I don't know if the fuel pump has ever been rebuilt or replaced and I don't want to take any chances. They tell me these flathead six engines could run on whale oil or lighter fluid if they had to, so I don't know if the gas will make a whole lot of difference anyway.

Captain Neon

Familiar Face
My new baby....

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Very nice, Rue. My father has a green '54 Ford Fordor Crestline. As if Ford didn't put enough chrome on them, he has added vintage aftermarket chrome and stainless. He has the deluxe hood ornament and the 4-spoke steering wheel.

Justin B

One Too Many
I'm a little obsessive about maintaining a clean fuel system: fuel system cleaner every 4000 miles, injector cleaner every 2000 miles, and carburetor cleaner if I go on any trip in excess of 200 miles.

That does seem a bit over the top. Especially if you're using carb cleaner on a car that doesn't have one. If it's injected, carb cleaner may do more harm than good as it's pretty harsh on the o-rings used in an injected system.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I'm avoiding ethanol in the Plodge because I don't know if the fuel pump has ever been rebuilt or replaced and I don't want to take any chances. They tell me these flathead six engines could run on whale oil or lighter fluid if they had to, so I don't know if the gas will make a whole lot of difference anyway.

The rule is, your octane should look like your compression ratio. Your car came with 6.5:1 compression so it should have 65 octane gas or thereabouts.

No one has sold such low octane gas in the US since about 1954. The lowest you can get is 87 which is better than the hi test of the 40s.

Some owners of really low compression cars from the twenties and thirties, add some kerosene or diesel to their gas. They report their cars start easier, run smoother and cooler, develop more power, and do not vapor lock on hot days.

Your car is not that low but you are correct, it will run on fuel of much lower octane than they sell today.

We don't see the high octane much either. Sunoco and i think Union 76 had their Custom Blend pumps where you could get octane in the high 90's. Even aircraft gas is not as high as previous. I had heard that present day - they blend Marvel Mystry oil into the high octane stuff to boost it to the levels needed for engines on B17's and such.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Avoid ethynol like the plague if you can Lizzie.
We've been running non-ethynol in our personal cars for over a year, and we've noticed significant increases in our gas mileage. Plus the car actually does run better. The damage that crap does to the engine costs more than the extra you pay at the pump NOT to have ethynol in it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
No one has sold such low octane gas in the US since about 1954. The lowest you can get is 87 which is better than the hi test of the 40s.
Up at high altitude like where I live we can get 85 octane. I use it on all my motorcycles, even my Thruxton. Now, when I go to lower altitudes, I put High Test in.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We don't see the high octane much either. Sunoco and i think Union 76 had their Custom Blend pumps where you could get octane in the high 90's. Even aircraft gas is not as high as previous. I had heard that present day - they blend Marvel Mystry oil into the high octane stuff to boost it to the levels needed for engines on B17's and such.
We would put Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel tanks of the Stearman, BT-13, Twin Beech and SNJ-T6. But we did it for the valves, not for octane boost.

For those that don't know: Higher octane gas actually burns slower than regular. The idea is that it is for the long throw piston engines, allowing the power/explosion to be a longer push over that longer throw. Lower octane burns faster and creates a faster bang - in some conditions that would approximate piston knock in big V-8's. A parallel is the difference between gunpowder for rifles versus pistols - same principal.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
For those that don't know: Higher octane gas actually burns slower than regular. The idea is that it is for the long throw piston engines, allowing the power/explosion to be a longer push over that longer throw. Lower octane burns faster and creates a faster bang - in some conditions that would approximate piston knock in big V-8's. A parallel is the difference between gunpowder for rifles versus pistols - same principal.

Octane measures the resistance to knock and nothing else. High octane gas is not "more powerful" in fact a low compression, long stroke engine will develop more power on a heavier, oilier low octane fuel. Something like a diesel engine which is designed to burn a heavy fuel, some of them are VERY powerful.

Hi Folks

A few years back I almost purchased a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado, during the negociations my Grandson took ill and my Daughter lost her job. So I put the vintage car purchase on hold. I am still looking for something for Sunday driving and something to wash during the week etc.

One caveat to owning a vintage vehicle beside the great pleasure of driving a classic. Is that some States give breaks on Tags and insurance requirements etc. I belief the car must be at least 25 years old to qualify as vintage or antique at least in NJ anyway.

Currently my everday driver/beateater upper is a 1993-190E MB. With only 100k on the clock. However I do long for an American Golden Era Car. Someday soon.

Best regards
CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24