Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman (ELMC) Throws Their Hat in the J-100 Ring

For me, if I were able to ignore the incendiary opinions of the maker, there is nothing unique or interesting enough about this jacket to sway me from the numerous other makers that have been punching out this style for years.

HPA Rep

Vendor
In that case, can anyone explain to me why Eastman is charging 100pounds more with their original maker A-2s than their house A-2 jacket? I am sure they are of similar quality and for an untrained eye, they are essentially the same jacket. When we talk about Buco J-100, we are talking about a repro jacket, not just the pattern.
<snip>

Each A-2 is different among the original-maker series, with the most similar being Rough Wear 1401 and 27752, but Monarch and, say, Star, are two totally different items with their own patterns, etc, as is true with Cable Raincoat and others. Each style requires a certain level of precise dedication to make it what it's a copy of, thus if the stitching is a little different on one "house" A-2 vs. another, then no harm is done, but just too little or too much bite when sewing a seam on an original-maker A-2 and it's wrong. That type of dedication requires more time to produce and the skilled hands and eyes of a select few in the factory through the entire production process, and these few, no doubt, earn a higher pay rate than others. The cost difference is clearly justified once you grasp just what it takes to make the original-maker series.

Please keep in mind, it was easy for, say, Rough Wear to make their A-2's fairly consistent back in the day since they made them just one way, but when you require employees to grasp all the nuances of each maker that you offer and maintain that dedicated eye for detail, that's a totally different matter, which is a recipe for confusion, and it's fortunate ELC is able to do as well as that do with these specialty A-2's considering it is not Gary Eastman himself making the jackets - these employees, though excellent, aren't dedicated A-2 enthusiasts and never will be.

<snip>
With all due respect to Charles/HPA and Eastman, most of us here are just trying to voice our opinions as consumers. But as a 'high end' marker, ELC should be setting the trend, rather than just following what is popular.

So what's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? Then, following your logic, since Eastman made the first original-maker A-2 in the USA as a limited series for HPA back in the early 1990's, shouldn't all the other high-end makers who have subsequently done the same thing be criticized for following vs. setting a new trend?

I don't think there's anything wrong with copying an iconic style that's been done by others if it makes good business sense. I mean, should we be limited to just one or two makers of A-2's, since clearly someone was first and the rest followed? And it's not as if all are the same even when copying specific styles: each maker has detailing and nuances that can be discerned by the observant and all of this provides more choice for the consumer. Do you oppose good choices or is it just anything made by Eastman for some personal reason(s)?

HPA Rep

Vendor
Good point Ton. It's just another in a sea of similar jackets. This one, without a Buco label etc.

So let's see, we have J-100's being made right now by X number of makers, and only one maker is using a Buco label, and none of this has generated any negative commentary that implies a glut or "sea of similar jackets" until Eastman adds one to their offerings, then it becomes one too many.

Very curious ...

So let's see, we have J-100's being made right now by X number of makers, and only one maker is using a Buco label, and none of this has generated any negative commentary that implies a glut or "sea of similar jackets" until Eastman adds one to their offerings, then it becomes one too many.

Very curious ...
My point is simply that, if it were possible for me to look past the political view of the maker (I can't), I'd be more likely to pursue this style from a maker with an established pattern, examples of which there are many around here. Personally the tag is not important to me. That said I'm not an exact repro buyer and none of my jackets are meant to be exact repro's of anything in particular.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you kidding me..? Perfect way to lose business.

I wish I was kidding. Unfortunately, Eastman's Instagram is the tip of the iceberg. Eastman Leather’s blog is even more revealing:

http://blog.eastmanleather.com/view-post/false-flag-operation-northwoods

Gary Eastman believes that both the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor and the 9/11 World Trade Center attack were orchestrated by the United States Government. #speechless
Mods: Given that Eastman Leather broadcasts these theories on its website, utilized to sell its jackets, Eastman clearly wants the buying public to know its views on these issues. Therefore, this information is appropriate for discussion.

34e4202d68473a00004be7395da9a388.jpeg

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I read the blog part where he writes about false flag operations and he does mention Pearl Harbour and the World Trade Centre in passing.

The Pearl Harbour stuff comes from a long standing suspicion that the US knew of an impending attack because they had broken the Japanese codes and were also warned by the Dutch and the UK but chose to ignore it. Plus the fact that the newly installed radar was switched off it being a Sunday morning. But it seems inconceivable that the US government would allow an attack to develop that sank almost all its Pacific fleet at anchor if they knew of it. Even if the administration was trying to provoke Japan into an attack on its assets somewhere. Which it was. So I would put that down to the cock up theory of history rather than the conspiracy theory of history; and as it happens warnings were sent from Washington but arrived after the attack had begun due in part to being delayed by poor coordination and infighting between services and departments. Which gives weight to the cock up idea. It was also surprising that the US did not anticipate such an attack anyway bearing in mind the US oil embargo against Japan which the Japanese considered an act of war. Having said that, most government conspiracies are to cover up cock ups, and it’s the cover up conspiracies which tend to get found out.

As to his opinions... It takes all sorts and he’s entitled to believe what he wants to in my book.

pawineguy

One Too Many

Very curious ...

Aero, Real McCoys and Diamond Dave all use the Buco label. Not sure if there are others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael