Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Leather Clothing USAAF A-2 Flying Jacket, Star Sportswear 28857

HPA Rep

Vendor
This is Eastman’s Star Sportswear A-2 Jacket in War Horse horsehide, which is a three-ounce, fully vegetable-tanned, fully aniline-dyed leather imported from one of the finest tanneries in Italy. The hide is the same color as found on the Rough Wear Clo. Co. 27752, though variation in dye lots can be noticed from time to time just as they would have been in 1942. The Star is assembled with 4-strand, 16-gauge all-cotton thread in a shade of brown that’s light to medium in tone, thus it contrasts nicely against the dark brown hides, and it's outfitted with a 1942 vintage-style Talon zipper in nickel plate on all-cotton HBT zipper tape..

The Star offers the slimmest fit of all Eastman A-2s, followed by the Monarch; going up a size is the rule in the Star for just about anyone. So as to help put the photos now following into some sort of fit perspective, the Star A-2 is a size 42R. I'm doing the modeling and my body measures are as follows: 40" chest circumference, 30" waist, 5' 9" tall, 148 lbs. with a lean, athletic build.

I cannot comfortably wear a size 40R in this A-2, though I can put that size on and zip it up; my elbows start to bind in the sleeves with the least amount of movement forward, so it only looks good while standing still. The simple fact is, the Star is 3" smaller in chest circumference than the same size in, say, a Rough Wear Clo. Co. A-2.

Personally, I love the Star A-2, and this WarHorse is simply delectable in such a rich brown shade. We currently have the Star A-2 in stock in sizes 38R – 48R.

All prices always include U. S. customs duty, 
import processing fees, currency-conversion fees and expedited shipping & insurance from the manufacturer to us in the USA.

All items we ship to Canada are assumed by Canadian customs officials to be of U. S. origin, thus qualifying for duty-free import under NAFTA, so Canadian customers benefit greatly and should only have to pay national and provincial taxes, which are, for the most, unavoidable and would apply to items even of Canadian origin.

You can see sizing tips, product measures, detailed photos, and other useful information on our website here:

https://www.historypreservation.com...g-jacket-star-sportswear-co-contract-no-28857

Scrl_Star_A2.jpg Star-A-2-front.jpg Star-A-2-side.jpg Star-A2-back.jpg

Marv

A-List Customer
I have always like the Star contract and I do think that Eastman's current version is probably the best they have produced.

Here are a few photos of my Eastman Star from around 2006 and as you can see, their current model is superior in every way.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I have always like the Star contract and I do think that Eastman's current version is probably the best they have produced.

Here are a few photos of my Eastman Star from around 2006 and as you can see, their current model is superior in every way.

Nice patina of wear developing on your Star, Marv, and the creasing is looking good on the sleeves. These are jackets customers always found to be comfortable .

HPA Rep

Vendor
1st Lt. "Theo" Ted McConnell's Star A-2 and grouping, 10th AF, 7th Bomb Gp., 436th B. Sq. B-24 pilot. 10th AF A-2s are extremely rare.

_DSC0003smwo.jpg _DSC0004smwo.jpg _DSC0040smwo.jpg _DSC0048smwo.jpg _DSC0052smwo.jpg _DSC0078smwo.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
Looks great. I have tried ELCs Star on a few times and liked it but for the darker colour. Most of the original Star's I have seen pics of, have been in russet (I know many were obv in seal) and I wonder if ELC would ever offer theirs in russet also. Charles?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks for posting all of this Charles and I agree, that 10th Star is an absolute peach.

I have an idea that Paddy here had an ELC Star back in the day and raved about it.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Looks great. I have tried ELCs Star on a few times and liked it but for the darker colour. Most of the original Star's I have seen pics of, have been in russet (I know many were obv in seal) and I wonder if ELC would ever offer theirs in russet also. Charles?

It's certainly possible ELC may one day offer another color in the Star, but I think that would take everyone who wants it to happen to pester Gary. And he would want an original version to photograph.

The color I find most common to Star is what I call umber brown, which is not dark brown as on the ELC but also not russet; this umber brown matches closely to the artist paint commonly known as burnt umber. Years ago, HPA had Eastman make a limited run of these using a contrasting thread color and they came out splendidly. I got to see one of these A-2s a couple of years ago when it came back for repair work and it was quite a treat to see with years of use on it; it looked very close to my 10th AF A-2 in this thread.:)

HPA Rep

Vendor
I'm glad you all enjoyed seeing these treasures. Many great stories go with these jackets, which I always find to be better than the artifacts. I think Mr. Mundt is still living but Theo McConnell is now gone; very sadly, he lost his beloved wife, then he was stricken with a terminal disease and elected to end his life with his issue M1911A1 .45 pistol.

Marv

A-List Customer
Nice patina of wear developing on your Star, Marv, and the creasing is looking good on the sleeves. These are jackets customers always found to be comfortable .

thanks Charles, it certainly was a great A2 but like us all it got sold on to fund other jacket purchases. I still have my ELC RW 27752, 55J14 G1 and Irvin 1942 pattern in my stable which are regular wearers.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are some pics of my near mint Star. It's not quite a true russet, but not the darker seal used in earlier ELC repros.
002-50.jpg

020-27.jpg

014-45.jpg

015-49.jpg

005-47.jpg

003-52.jpg

004-42.jpg

008-53.jpg

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Here are some pics of my near mint Star. It's not quite a true russet, but not the darker seal used in earlier ELC repros.

Absolutely beautiful, Andrew! Extraordinary condition of a fairly rare A-2 contractor in a rare size (only 1.5% of wartime A-2s were produced in size 44).

The color you depict is what I consider to be the "russet" for the Star; I can't recall ever seeing any Star that was a "true russet" in person vs. what images might convey as true russet.

Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner