Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EBAY DEMOB

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
ROCHESTER HOUSE

The "Rochester House Label" is sewn onto the lining in an unusual place, about 3 inches below the hanging bar on the back of the jacket, no labels in or outiside of the breast pocket, so perhaps it has been put in at a later date for some unknown reason ?
The suit is a quintesentially British cut and absolutely beautiful, in my opinion, I thought it might be a Demob which someone had tried to "glam up" by adding a "Tailors" label, but it is just doesn't feel right to be a Demob.
I found a reference to "Rochester Clothing" on the Web, a union strike from 1922, NY I think, but that is all.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Toodleoo
HH

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
HICKEY-FREEMAN/WOOLF BROS

Whatto All,
Coincidence ??
I was just trying to research a suit I intend/ed to put up for sale on EBAY.
The suit was tailored by "By Hickey-Freeman" for "Woolf Bros".
I would date the suit somewhere between 1930 and 1950, but there seems to be no sign of a union label.
I just dipped into the web and discovered that Hickey-Freeman had their headquarters in Rochester and are still trading.
I bought this suit and the "Rochester Clothing Company" one from the same vendor, but a few months apart, and I think they they had the "Hickey-Freeman" one for a while before I bought it, so I don't think they acquired them both at the same time.
Does anyone know when Woolf Bros were selling Hickey-Freeman garments so that I can put a more accurate date on the suit in question ?

As for the "Rochester Clothing Company" suit, I have found "38" (jacket chest size) stamped, about a quarter of an inch tall, in purple ink (military issue style) on the pockets, on the the inside of the trousers.

Again, any help on either suit would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner