Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

X83

One of the Regulars
I’m going to write them an email on how beautiful this jacket and vest are along with sunburst and how much I appreciate there craft

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It seem like it does not need much break in
You got lucky with a pliable batch of CXL FQHH. Sometimes they're really stiff.
Midnight blue is a great color from Horween. Looks like charcoal in the dark, and turns to green or blue depending on lighting.
If it gets cold where you're at, an add on fur collar would look good and functional:
IMG_6340.JPG

X83

One of the Regulars
Midnight blue is a great color from Horween. Looks like charcoal in the dark, and turns to green or blue depending on lighting.
If it gets cold where you're at, an add on fur collar would look good and functional:
View attachment 519768
I want a fur collar I was told if a place that would do it but I think it’s in San Francisco are there any other places I have a Schott p613 s that’s what I thought this would be like so compared to that this is butter

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I want a fur collar I was told if a place that would do it but I think it’s in San Francisco are there any other places I have a Schott p613 s that’s what I thought this would be like so compared to that this is butter
That's Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. They can definitely hook you up with a nice fur collar.
If you're in Canada, there is a local shop I go to in Vancouver. I haven't done an add on fur collar there. When I do I'll post it here.
The Buco attachment method is the best imo, with the tabs going further down. I think there is a thread here where a French member made one himself. I don't know where to buy the half dome Buco snaps though, they look much nicer than the normal flat snap cap.

X83

One of the Regulars
That's Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. They can definitely hook you up with a nice fur collar.
If you're in Canada, there is a local shop I go to in Vancouver. I haven't done an add on fur collar there. When I do I'll post it here.
The Buco attachment method is the best imo, with the tabs going further down. I think there is a thread here where a French member made one himself. I don't know where to buy the half dome Buco snaps though, they look much nicer than the normal flat snap cap.
View attachment 519768
I had them attach throat latch

Attachments

• 70656377622__D2F36024-3F50-4A44-A534-7F7975696A33.jpeg
    70656377622__D2F36024-3F50-4A44-A534-7F7975696A33.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • 70656378890__E84FA620-A52D-42DE-B54A-BEB65B62F22E.jpeg
    70656378890__E84FA620-A52D-42DE-B54A-BEB65B62F22E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139

X83

One of the Regulars
Anyone here have an aero type 3 mine just came in I love It do notice that the sleeves are not as snug as any of my other Aeros is this the same for any of yall

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Vicenza can shrink a bit, over a period of say a year or so. Up to half a size in my experience.

My Aero type 3 is about 8.25”-8.5" across the bicep area, same as my Maxwell in the same tag size 42. The sleeves are not curved like the other Aero models so it does feel a bit baggier. The Aero type 3 also has the lower armhole so that will make the upper sleeve feel even bigger. Mine actually fits like a Lee rider than a Levis 3.

It's hard to say right now. Vicenza isn't the most drapey leather in my experience. In time it could settle down and shrink half a size and be perfect. If going down a full size now it might be too tight down the road (vicenza). Length and overall shape looks good. Tough call.

X83

One of the Regulars
Vicenza can shrink a bit, over a period of say a year or so. Up to half a size in my experience.

My Aero type 3 is about 8.25”-8.5" across the bicep area, same as my Maxwell in the same tag size 42. The sleeves are not curved like the other Aero models so it does feel a bit baggier. The Aero type 3 also has the lower armhole so that will make the upper sleeve feel even bigger. Mine actually fits like a Lee rider than a Levis 3.

It's hard to say right now. Vicenza isn't the most drapey leather in my experience. In time it could settle down and shrink half a size and be perfect. If going down a full size now it might be too tight down the road (vicenza). Length and overall shape looks good. Tough call.
I gave it some thought one I love this jacket so that’s that also it’s the only aero I have that I can layer with sweater or hood I’ve been wearing today and I’m loving it I think it will drape nicely with time just a feeling I have

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Premier Highwayman vs Regular Highwayman and a fantasy Highwayman...

Premier Highwayman is size 42 wide (add one inch in widths), Regular Highwayman is size 40 long (add one inch sleeve and body length). Fantasy Highwayman is a photoshop based on my Cafe Racer stock size 42...

My regular highwayman weighs 2x as the premier one, 8 lbs of CXSH vs 4 lbs of Pinnacle HH.

IMG_8657.JPG

IMG_8670.jpg

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8690.JPG

I also get the creases at the lower back on the Premier, less so when I wear it unzipped:
IMG_8691.jpg

In the Pinnacle leather, my PHwyman feels very comfortable. I am wearing it now typing this blasting the cooling fan...

Some of the things I learned from this jacket and my BR Seven jacket. Aero can do "wide" sizes. Wide sizes may measure same or larger than the next size up, but still smaller than the next size up in reality. This also explains a lot why the P2P and tag sizes is all over the places on the used market. And I may just have contributed to that. An extra size tag, wide, tall, short, slim, should in theory fix these misunderstandings.

IMG_8774.JPG

IMG_7850.JPG

I am a big fan of the "Highwayman" design. I have tried many different copies from many different makers. And I really want a fantasy 40's Highwayman... (Cafe Racer based)
Highwayman Sheene Based 1940s.jpg

Anyone out there with an Aero zip sleeve that has the Trojan snap tab?
IMG_8771.JPG

zebedee

One Too Many
My only problem with fit has been with Cafe Racers. A size 42 is only j-u-s-t 'zippable' and a size 44 is a tiny bit too loose, but I reckon that's because I'm rectangular. The steer hide 42 might eventually loosen up in I wear it in the rain. If Vicenza shrinks, the size 44 might end up perfect.

Of course, I could just start taking lots of exercise, but the appeal of that waned at about the age of 40 :)

Premier Highwayman vs Regular Highwayman and a fantasy Highwayman...

Premier Highwayman is size 42 wide (add one inch in widths), Regular Highwayman is size 40 long (add one inch sleeve and body length). Fantasy Highwayman is a photoshop based on my Cafe Racer stock size 42...

My regular highwayman weighs 2x as the premier one, 8 lbs of CXSH vs 4 lbs of Pinnacle HH.

View attachment 531161

View attachment 531162

View attachment 531163

View attachment 531164

I also get the creases at the lower back on the Premier, less so when I wear it unzipped:
View attachment 531165

In the Pinnacle leather, my PHwyman feels very comfortable. I am wearing it now typing this blasting the cooling fan...

Some of the things I learned from this jacket and my BR Seven jacket. Aero can do "wide" sizes. Wide sizes may measure same or larger than the next size up, but still smaller than the next size up in reality. This also explains a lot why the P2P and tag sizes is all over the places on the used market. And I may just have contributed to that. An extra size tag, wide, tall, short, slim, should in theory fix these misunderstandings.

View attachment 531166
View attachment 531167

I am a big fan of the "Highwayman" design. I have tried many different copies from many different makers. And I really want a fantasy 40's Highwayman... (Cafe Racer based)
View attachment 531168

Anyone out there with an Aero zip sleeve that has the Trojan snap tab?
View attachment 531169
There was this one that looked great:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-jacket-aero-sheene-crossed-with-aero-highwayman.93825/

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Buttocks and length theory...

IMG_9173.JPG

IMG_9174.jpg

I believe for the premier slim fit patterns, I would prefer either longer like 26"+ or shorter 24". When the back length is stock length 25" it lands on the first 1/4 of my butt and my butt pushes up the hem of the jacket.

I can now see why Thurston specs +1" back and sleeve length now, can't judge a book by its cover. It will for sure cover past the top of the butt and not have unwanted creases. Same reason the Flat Head Highwayman is longer too, safer on the longer side, more practical too:
flat head.jpg

But Pinnacle leather is very forgiving. The leather relaxes and goes where they need to go. Still, longer length would probably be my number 1 choice. Hindsight is always 20/20...
IMG_8849.jpg

Thanks HandyMike that's a really nice HighwaySheene. I think Aero is missing that fit for the Highwayman. The premier is a drop 3 chest to hem and the regular one is drop 4, both \ / shaped. The Cafe racer is a drop 5 and that will also cover the ) ( look. Schott has 10 different versions of One Star right now, not counting the Japanese specials, and three different lengths, if including the Japanese One Stars then there are total 4 available lengths, 24" to 27"...

BTW the "August" collar feels 1/2" smaller than the Highwayman collar, 17.5" vs 18" on my jackets. The August collar is also used on the Speedway but totally different construction. Makes me think that the collar was originally developed for the Speedway with the unibody construction and just mixed and matched to use on the other models. If using the August collar, the Speedway construction is the best, same as Mulholland, wing collar. Unibody wing collar looks fancier and has zero bulk by design (back collar too), like the french seams of collars:

IMG_9226.JPG

mvilla

A-List Customer

View attachment 531307
View attachment 531308

I believe for the premier slim fit patterns, I would prefer either longer like 26"+ or shorter 24". When the back length is stock length 25" it lands on the first 1/4 of my butt and my butt pushes up the hem of the jacket.

I can now see why Thurston specs +1" back and sleeve length now, can't judge a book by its cover. It will for sure cover past the top of the butt and not have unwanted creases. Same reason the Flat Head Highwayman is longer too, safer on the longer side, more practical too:
View attachment 531310

But Pinnacle leather is very forgiving. The leather relaxes and goes where they need to go. Still, longer length would probably be my number 1 choice. Hindsight is always 20/20...
View attachment 531313

Thanks HandyMike that's a really nice HighwaySheene. I think Aero is missing that fit for the Highwayman. The premier is a drop 3 chest to hem and the regular one is drop 4, both \ / shaped. The Cafe racer is a drop 5 and that will also cover the ) ( look. Schott has 10 different versions of One Star right now, not counting the Japanese specials, and three different lengths, if including the Japanese One Stars then there are total 4 available lengths, 24" to 27"...

BTW the "August" collar feels 1/2" smaller than the Highwayman collar, 17.5" vs 18" on my jackets. The August collar is also used on the Speedway but totally different construction. Makes me think that the collar was originally developed for the Speedway with the unibody construction and just mixed and matched to use on the other models. If using the August collar, the Speedway construction is the best, same as Mulholland, wing collar. Unibody wing collar looks fancier and has zero bulk by design (back collar too), like the french seams of collars:

View attachment 531320
That speedway is awesome, just had to say this. Thanks, bye.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face

View attachment 531307
View attachment 531308

View attachment 531310

View attachment 531313

View attachment 531320

Nice investigation work

Would 24 inch length and additional front drop and 19inch hem get it looking like speedway ? Or do you think 24 inch back and 20.5 hem give the same speedway look )(?

From your theory I'm also considering longer back, I think the main issue with longer back is sitting down, it will leave leather all bunched up when sitting.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice investigation work

Would 24 inch length and additional front drop and 19inch hem get it looking like speedway ? Or do you think 24 inch back and 20.5 hem give the same speedway look )(?

From your theory I'm also considering longer back, I think the main issue with longer back is sitting down, it will leave leather all bunched up when sitting.

If you want a Speedway, get a Speedway!

That said I dissent from Canuck’s theory. My experience has been that narrow hems and extra length are as poor a pairing as the numbers would suggest. The combination very much does bunch and ride up.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Nice investigation work

Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to make the Premier Highwayman to look or fit like the Speedway, because the way the Speedway jacket is made is different than rest of the Aero jacket construction.

There is a lot of curves in the Speedway:
IMG_9352.JPG

IMG_9353.JPG

I got some Aero jackets and even the overall dimensions is similar to the Speedway, the fit is totally different because there the way the Speedway is assembled. The Speedway can't be flattened like the other Aero jackets. I think this contribute to the fit more than just the numbers.

One other thing to keep in mind is the big over hang of the Speedway in the front. Mine is size 42 with added length to 24" in the back, and this translate to 22" in the front with a 21" zipper.
IMG_9356.JPG

IMG_7525.JPG

If you don't mind coming down to Kerrisdale I can let you try on the Speedway and PHwayman and another secret jacket or two. I think the Premier Highwayman can fit like the Flat Head copy if lengthened, but never like the Speedway fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner