Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
Aero Speedway

View attachment 504957 View attachment 504958 View attachment 504959
View attachment 504960 View attachment 504963
View attachment 504961
View attachment 504962
Didn't know where to put this so I'm sliding in this general Aero fit/pattern thread. There were some good info a few posts back about the how different Aero models fits.

The "Speedway" fits exactly the same as the boardracer. That was the surprise. I had thought it fit more like a tapered 30s jacket but no, it's the STF/premier fit like the boardracer.

It's coolest feature is the collar. It naturally spreads. Wing collar, like the Mullholland but wider spread.

The lining also goes to the zips like the earlier jackets.

The chest pocket is tiny. Only 4" wide. While staying true to the original tobacco pocket look, not very useful in modern day. Maybe I should pick up pipe smoking to make it worth while.

This pattern is probably best in stretchier hides like goat or chrome horses or their battered stuff. The denser and non stretch veg tan horsehide means I can't really move around in this jacket when it's fully closed up. But the same tightness with most of my Japanese jackets.

The Speedway is a cool pattern. Basically a premier Highwayman with a fancier collar and a half belt back with the early button cuffs. I should have gotten Hookless zips...
Cool stylish jacket. The collar and cuffs really stand out also. Was it a standard fit or did you ask for some changes?.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Cool stylish jacket. The collar and cuffs really stand out also. Was it a standard fit or did you ask for some changes?.
Stock size 42. Had I known about the fit I'd ask for the custom widening like I did on my boardracer. The STF/Premier fit could use a widen shoulder to get a bit more movement. The fit will look the same but the extra 0.75" in the shoulder and chest makes a huge difference on these super trim cuts.
Stock Speedway size 42 shoulder 17.75"
IMG_3829.JPG

P2P 22"
IMG_3821.JPG

Widened Boardracer size 42
shoulder 18.5"
Board Racer Kelpie 002.JPG

P2P 22.5"
Board Racer Kelpie 004a.JPG

Fit looks the same to me, but the widened board racer I can zip up and still move around in, the stock Speedway it's a bit tight and doesn't make much sense.
IMG_3555.JPG
IMG_3564.JPG
IMG_3575.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG

I would suggest widening the STF/premier cuts.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
Stock size 42. Had I known about the fit I'd ask for the custom widening like I did on my boardracer. The STF/Premier fit could use a widen shoulder to get a bit more movement. The fit will look the same but the extra 0.75" in the shoulder and chest makes a huge difference on these super trim cuts.
Stock Speedway size 42 shoulder 17.75"
View attachment 505040
P2P 22"
View attachment 505041

Widened Boardracer size 42
shoulder 18.5"
View attachment 505042
P2P 22.5"
View attachment 505043

Fit looks the same to me, but the widened board racer I can zip up and still move around in, the stock Speedway it's a bit tight and doesn't make much sense.
View attachment 505046 View attachment 505047 View attachment 505048 View attachment 505049

I would suggest widening the STF/premier cuts.

is that popov belt with olive from w&c?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cool Levis. Yes, not the exact same as board racer, different panels and all. But the base building block (overall dimensions, chest to hem torso drop, are the same. I was expecting the building block to be based on the same one they used for the Hercules repro which is wider up top but no it's the slimmer BR building block.
From what I can see in my Aero jackets there are about 4 to 5 master building blocks that turns into their super wide range of designs. But that's too long of a post for another day.

You’re not wrong that many jacket designs are riffs on the same pattern block (like Board Racer, slim-J106, Ridley for instance) but the Levi’s jackets don’t fall into this.

Like the military jackets and the Indian Ranger, they’re very specifically patterned off of originals. If the Aero releases of Levi’s designs had been a facsimile using existing pattern blocks, they wouldn’t have needed permission from Levi’s to sell them.

geedee

Familiar Face
Aero Speedway

View attachment 504961
View attachment 504962
Didn't know where to put this so I'm sliding in this general Aero fit/pattern thread. There were some good info a few posts back about the how different Aero models fits.

The "Speedway" fits exactly the same as the boardracer. That was the surprise. I had thought it fit more like a tapered 30s jacket but no, it's the STF/premier fit like the boardracer.

It's coolest feature is the collar. It naturally spreads. Wing collar, like the Mullholland but wider spread.

The chest pocket is tiny. Only 4" wide. While staying true to the original tobacco pocket look, not very useful in modern day. Maybe I should pick up pipe smoking to make it worth while.

This pattern is probably best in stretchier hides like goat or chrome horses or their battered stuff. The denser and non stretch veg tan horsehide means I can't really move around in this jacket when it's fully closed up. But the same tightness with most of my Japanese jackets.

The Speedway is a cool pattern. Basically a premier Highwayman with a fancier collar and a half belt back with the early button cuffs. I should have gotten Hookless zips...
Hey that's a beautiful jacket. Is it a standard size 42 - I'm thinking of getting one myself and keen to know what the sleeve length and width at hem are?

Edward

Bartender
That Speedway looks great. Chest pockets on these jackets are small. When I had my Dustbowl made back in 2014, I had a Speedway-style plain front with zip pocket put on the front. It's fine for my mp3 player or something similar, but I did make sure to have an inner pocket included in the spec because the zipped one is too small for my wallet and phone. I do fancy the idea of a halfbelt with a bigger, angled zip pocket on the front, like the one on my Bootlegger.

Aloysius

That Speedway looks great. Chest pockets on these jackets are small. When I had my Dustbowl made back in 2014, I had a Speedway-style plain front with zip pocket put on the front. It's fine for my mp3 player or something similar, but I did make sure to have an inner pocket included in the spec because the zipped one is too small for my wallet and phone. I do fancy the idea of a halfbelt with a bigger, angled zip pocket on the front, like the one on my Bootlegger.

While not a half-belt, I’ve been curious for a while about how this Schott looks in person. Looks like quite a nice straight zip with the 60s/70s Perfecto pocket placement and size. Quite pricey since the price of leather skyrocketed but I might look for it in the factory sale.

While not a half-belt, I’ve been curious for a while about how this Schott looks in person. Looks like quite a nice straight zip with the 60s/70s Perfecto pocket placement and size. Quite pricey since the price of leather skyrocketed but I might look for it in the factory sale.
The Wildcat. I like that one too, minus the back seam. I’m not against back seams but I don’t like when they terminate into a waist band. Otherwise a terrific design that looks to be influenced by 50’s era Windward jackets.

Edward

Bartender
The Wildcat. I like that one too, minus the back seam. I’m not against back seams but I don’t like when they terminate into a waist band. Otherwise a terrific design that looks to be influenced by 50’s era Windward jackets.

It's one of the nicer straight-zip styles I've seen from Schott. I actually prefer it when a back seam has a lower panel like that rather than extending to the hem. Gives it a bit more of a 'finished' look in my eye.

It's one of the nicer straight-zip styles I've seen from Schott. I actually prefer it when a back seam has a lower panel like that rather than extending to the hem. Gives it a bit more of a 'finished' look in my eye.
I’m the opposite! I’d rather it come out of a back yoke, like this:
IMG_1637.jpeg
IMG_0481.jpeg
IMG_0138.jpeg

Two different jackets but the rear is similar. This is probably one of my favorite back patterns.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Aero Speedway

View attachment 504961
View attachment 504962

Is this their 'natural Vicenza' or 'unfinished horsehide'?

Observe

One Too Many
I wonder if anyone who has experience with this hide could chime in on how it ages. Hard tell the characteristics of the leather from a few stock photos. It's not the same hide as they use for the steerhide perfectos, is it? I had a Schott 237 in pebbled cowhide and I wasn't a fan of it.

Aloysius

I wonder if anyone who has experience with this hide could chime in on how it ages. Hard tell the characteristics of the leather from a few stock photos. It's not the same hide as they use for the steerhide perfectos, is it? I had a Schott 237 in pebbled cowhide and I wasn't a fan of it.

From the name and description I’d assume it’s the same hide as the 519.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hey that's a beautiful jacket. Is it a standard size 42 - I'm thinking of getting one myself and keen to know what the sleeve length and width at hem are?
Thanks and yes it's a stock 42. I was told it was a short jacket and I said I need 24" back length, not sure what the stock back length was. The rest are all stock. The hem is about 41" in circumference.
Yup these smoke pockets aren't very big. I bet people smoke more soft packs back then. The Speedway is really a cool design I've really only seen one photo from the Vintageleatherjacket forum.
Is this their 'natural Vicenza' or 'unfinished horsehide'?
This one is the "unifinished horsehide" or Comipel. There is an upcharge for this leather now. The Vicenza is a cleaner hide and has a finished topcoat. The Comipel stuff is quite raw, needs lots of oil and waxes to make it my own, and shows all the natural markings.

geedee

Familiar Face
Thanks and yes it's a stock 42. I was told it was a short jacket and I said I need 24" back length, not sure what the stock back length was. The rest are all stock. The hem is about 41" in circumference.

Yup these smoke pockets aren't very big. I bet people smoke more soft packs back then. The Speedway is really a cool design I've really only seen one photo from the Vintageleatherjacket forum.

This one is the "unifinished horsehide" or Comipel. There is an upcharge for this leather now. The Vicenza is a cleaner hide and has a finished topcoat. The Comipel stuff is quite raw, needs lots of oil and waxes to make it my own, and shows all the natural markings.
Thanks for the details, I think I've just decided what my next jacket's gonna be!

ProteinNerd

The Speedway is based on the Aero x Levi Blue/Black Goat they did in the early 2000's.

After lusting for one for ages, I finally managed to tracked one down but they run small and VERY short. I had a large and its back length was 22.5 inches (maybe 22.75). It was just too short for me.

I did contact Aero to have one made when they finally released as a general pattern and they were happy to lengthen it although I never went through with it while I loved the style, part of the appeal was the Black with the Blue undercoat and they no longer have it available.

Attachments

• 858F48FC-5944-4DD3-A2F3-011A5403A1CA.jpeg
    858F48FC-5944-4DD3-A2F3-011A5403A1CA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • D1E1ACC6-5F12-49A7-872C-98AD8250C30D.jpeg
    D1E1ACC6-5F12-49A7-872C-98AD8250C30D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Speedway is based on the Aero x Levi Blue/Black Goat they did in the early 2000's.

After lusting for one for ages, I finally managed to tracked one down but they run small and VERY short. I had a large and its back length was 22.5 inches (maybe 22.75). It was just too short for me.

I did contact Aero to have one made when they finally released as a general pattern and they were happy to lengthen it although I never went through with it while I loved the style, part of the appeal was the Black with the Blue undercoat and they no longer have it available.
Yeah goatskin is really the better choice for this jacket.
I can see the Levis with the short back length, like the old trucker jackets. But in reality its just more wearable when it's just a tad longer. The front drop ratio looks even more significant with the shorter back. Very cool though.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
So what is the tldr concenuses on the neck hanging patterns ?

Which "building block" do not hang on the neck ?

I think I read j100 board racer pattern sit on shoulder ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran