Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
The Ridley is a cross-zip version of the Board Racer pattern.
I have both of these and while both are quite trim they are defintely not the same pattern - the BR is v tubular, the Ridley much more tapered… arms are also much slimmer on the BR too. I would say the BR fits a slim physique best, the Ridley a more athletic one.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have both of these and while both are quite trim they are defintely not the same pattern - the BR is v tubular, the Ridley much more tapered… arms are also much slimmer on the BR too. I would say the BR fits a slim physique best, the Ridley a more athletic one.

IMO this is likely a factor of your particular build and custom order. My own (size 42) Ridley is a slim-straight/tubular cut, not a V-shaped cut.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
IMO this is likely a factor of your particular build and custom order. My own (size 42) Ridley is a slim-straight/tubular cut, not a V-shaped cut.
That seems odd based on my own experience with these - I have 2 BRs and three j106 and the differences between the two models are v consistent - although the latter were all custom they simply had 2” chopped off the length of body and sleeves but the shoulders and p2p etc were unchanged from stock. All were direct from Aero….maybe Thurston do things a bit differently or Aero have tweaked the pattern over time but all my j106 have a clear taper, though not as extreme as a Cafe Racer….the BRs are v tubular though - and the same goes for the arms….

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I am very impressed with how the Hooche pattern is cut. The Badalassi gives it an extra stretch when needed. Just when I thought the type 3 pattern was good, this (good) Hooche surprised me.

I've got an used original Hercules coming next week. I think it was a special build that has been "Hooched", in Kudu too. Can't wait.

Also Salmosalar has an impressive collection. Maybe one day we will get to see it all in one setting. I am on the fence about a Wayfarer after seeing all his build pics...

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I am very impressed with how the Hooche pattern is cut. The Badalassi gives it an extra stretch when needed. Just when I thought the type 3 pattern was good, this (good) Hooche surprised me.

I've got an used original Hercules coming next week. I think it was a special build that has been "Hooched", in Kudu too. Can't wait.

Also Salmosalar has an impressive collection. Maybe one day we will get to see it all in one setting. I am on the fence about a Wayfarer after seeing all his build pics...
If it helps - in rank order of most V shaped to most tubular, based on my own collection, I would place them in this sequence - cafe racer, j106/HH, premier highwayman, board racer….

Aloysius

That seems odd based on my own experience with these - I have 2 BRs and three j106 and the differences between the two models are v consistent - although the latter were all custom they simply had 2” chopped off the length of body and sleeves but the shoulders and p2p etc were unchanged from stock. All were direct from Aero….maybe Thurston do things a bit differently or Aero have tweaked the pattern over time but all my j106 have a clear taper, though not as extreme as a Cafe Racer….the BRs are v tubular though - and the same goes for the arms….

I’m not talking about the J106. I’m talking about the Ridley.

sepa

New in Town
Hi all,

I’m one of those unfortunate guys who has issues with Aero jackets being inconvenient on the neck. My issue isn’t exactly that the jacked is Hanging on the neck, it’s more that when I stand straight the jacket is pushing/cutting in my neck from the back side.

I have this issue all aero jackets I own or tried on, these are Everyman, Café Racer, prem. Highwaymen, Wayfarer all in size 38. I also have this issue on a Alexander Leather Roadstar 38…… I have/had not that many leather jackets but with those I never had this issue: Vanson model B, Boss, Wilsons, Columbia

I tried to figure out what’s going on but since I have no clue about jacket patterns, I didn’t Also the jackets are made in different hides and brake in stage, so what I write here should be taken with a grain of salt. Anyway, here are my observations:

Below pictures are showing the Aero EM, then CR and Vanson model B. The left pic of each jacket shows the posture I have to be inn so I fit the jacket. In the EM I have to slouch quite dramatically so the jacket rests on the shoulder, if I stand straight as on the right pic, the leather is pushing in the neck and the jacket gets quite tight in the chest. The same but less severe this is happening with the CR. There is only one pic for the Vanson model B as the straight position fits the jacket.

1678110427348.png

Sloping shoulders: below is the model B and EM. As you see the model B has less shoulder to neck distance then the EM, so I don’t think the issue is simply sloping shoulders. I also tried to insert shoulder cushioning as this seems to have help other members, but this didn’t do the trick for me.
1678110449871.png

Neck holes size: EM 42, Vanson 43, CR 46. As the CR has the bigger neck hole as the model B, this is also not the reason by itself.

When I form the neck hole to a round shape with the jackets I have an issue with, I observed that the jackets raise from the ground which doesn’t happen with other jackets. I don’t know what that means or if it’s relevant but I included it here, maybe someone in the forum knows about this.
1678110465674.png

1678110477818.png
1678110492110.png

1678110533334.png

Connection with creases?:

The famous V creases are only very distinct in the AL jacket, so I’m unsure how much connection this has to the neck discomfort.

1678110546602.png

Pattern in patterns: I noticed a pattern in the forum that members experience a neck issue with Aero AL/Simmons Bilt and even Field Leathers (maybe that’s not the case and just accidently what I found?). On the other hand there is pattern that people describe Vanson or Lewis leathers as great fitting (for me the model B is the best fitting jacket so far). It’s clear that people have different builts and maybe a given jacket pattern doesn’t translate well trough all sizes. As a reference I’m 174cm/ 73kg. But it looks to me that some companies have patterns which fits better to most people then Aero and “related” Scottish companies.

I love the styles of Aero, their leather and lining options, also their prices are very attractive. I was close to order a made to order Aero prm HWM but when I got a chance to try one I changed my mind. Now I’m left with many questions as, am I just unlucky with the Aero jackets so far? Did I try the wrong Aero patterns for my body type, or is Aero just not for me?
Also does somebody know if Simmons Bilt change their patterns or is this neck issue also a risk there?

I'm tending to have a slouching posture, so I jacket supporting this is really wrong for me. The Model B is even helping me in this regard as it is straighten me up!

born113

One of the Regulars
I also really like Aero's leathers. But this is the only attractive feature of Aero jackets. Aero patterns are designed for people with a stoop and narrow sloping shoulders and a thin neck. I have a different body structure.

born113

One of the Regulars
I'm sure. I am also sure and I know that my message will refute the majority of the participants in this forum. But I spent a lot of time and money on Aero jackets over the past year. And I also very gently outlined the properties of these jackets.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I'm sure. I am also sure and I know that my message will refute the majority of the participants in this forum. But I spent a lot of time and money on Aero jackets over the past year. And I also very gently outlined the properties of these jackets.
Perfect.
Check however @MrProper photo's of his Aero's, I honestly don't see him as someone "with a stoop and narrow sloping shoulders".

Aloysius

I also really like Aero's leathers. But this is the only attractive feature of Aero jackets. Aero patterns are designed for people with a stoop and narrow sloping shoulders and a thin neck. I have a different body structure.

Nope.

red devil

I don't know about that exact description, but I did find their patterns to fit in a weird manner, all the weight was indeed on the neck. One of the reasons I do not own an Aero.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Aero Speedway

IMG_3824.JPG
IMG_3830.JPG
IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3991.JPG
IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

Didn't know where to put this so I'm sliding in this general Aero fit/pattern thread. There were some good info a few posts back about the how different Aero models fits.

The "Speedway" fits exactly the same as the boardracer. That was the surprise. I had thought it fit more like a tapered 30s jacket but no, it's the STF/premier fit like the boardracer.

It's coolest feature is the collar. It naturally spreads. Wing collar, like the Mullholland but wider spread.

The lining also goes to the zips like the earlier jackets.

The chest pocket is tiny. Only 4" wide. While staying true to the original tobacco pocket look, not very useful in modern day. Maybe I should pick up pipe smoking to make it worth while.

This pattern is probably best in stretchier hides like goat or chrome horses or their battered stuff. The denser and non stretch veg tan horsehide means I can't really move around in this jacket when it's fully closed up. But the same tightness with most of my Japanese jackets.

The Speedway is a cool pattern. Basically a premier Highwayman with a fancier collar and a half belt back with the early button cuffs. I should have gotten Hookless zips...

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Aero Speedway

View attachment 504957 View attachment 504958 View attachment 504959
View attachment 504960 View attachment 504963
View attachment 504961
View attachment 504962
Didn't know where to put this so I'm sliding in this general Aero fit/pattern thread. There were some good info a few posts back about the how different Aero models fits.

The "Speedway" fits exactly the same as the boardracer. That was the surprise. I had thought it fit more like a tapered 30s jacket but no, it's the STF/premier fit like the boardracer.

It's coolest feature is the collar. It naturally spreads. Wing collar, like the Mullholland but wider spread.

The chest pocket is tiny. Only 4" wide. While staying true to the original tobacco pocket look, not very useful in modern day. Maybe I should pick up pipe smoking to make it worth while.

This pattern is probably best in stretchier hides like goat or chrome horses or their battered stuff. The denser and non stretch veg tan horsehide means I can't really move around in this jacket when it's fully closed up. But the same tightness with most of my Japanese jackets.

The Speedway is a cool pattern. Basically a premier Highwayman with a fancier collar and a half belt back with the early button cuffs. I should have gotten Hookless zips...
That's a great looking jacket. I don't think it's their boardracer pattern though.

Looks more like the jacket they made for Levi's.

IMG_9842.jpeg
IMG_9849.jpeg
IMG_9851.jpeg

Aloysius

That's a great looking jacket. I don't think it's their boardracer pattern though.

View attachment 504983 View attachment 504984 View attachment 504985

From the Speedway description:

”One of the first jackets Levis brought to us was a badly wrecked Goatskin jacket with two numbers painted on the left sleeve. The provenance that came with the original 1930s jacket, and the research we did led us to believe that this was a speedway rider's jacket, the scars and tears were certainly commensurate with such use. For the Levi Limited Edition production jacket that ensued (around 1000 were made) we had to recreate the heavy wear of the original piece although we always felt that an un-aged version would have been a much better option and here it is. As we did the development work and patterns for the project, Levis gave us permission to produce our own version once their "Blue / Black" jacket was sold out, and now seems an ideal opportunity to do so.”

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Aero Speedway

View attachment 504961
View attachment 504962

Nice fit, man. And nice leather color for the spring.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Aero Speedway

View attachment 504961
View attachment 504962

Woah! That’s a pattern overlooked so far. You absolutely nailed the fit, and the leather looks made just for this one. Who cares if it’s comfortable if it looks that great…
;)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 504983 View attachment 504984 View attachment 504985
Cool Levis. Yes, not the exact same as board racer, different panels and all. But the base building block (overall dimensions, chest to hem torso drop, are the same. I was expecting the building block to be based on the same one they used for the Hercules repro which is wider up top but no it's the slimmer BR building block.
From what I can see in my Aero jackets there are about 4 to 5 master building blocks that turns into their super wide range of designs. But that's too long of a post for another day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto